Milltek or cobra?

Jakeswheelbarrow

Hey all, recently bought my 350z and I'm loving it! However the previous owner has fitted it with a budget replacement exhaust and the sound isn't quite right.

My friend has a cobra on his 313 and it sounds awesome. However I've been offered a new milltek for £550 which is a pretty decent discount.

Any advice on which to go for? Pros , cons etc? YouTube videos arent quite cutting it. Cheers

Hey all, recently bought my 350z and I'm loving it! However the previous owner has fitted it with a budget replacement exhaust and the sound isn't quite right.

My friend has a cobra on his 313 and it sounds awesome. However I've been offered a new milltek for £550 which is a pretty decent discount.

Any advice on which to go for? Pros , cons etc? YouTube videos arent quite cutting it. Cheers

I can only speak of the Miltek.

You will find it very quiet. When I had mine fitted by Abbey I thought it was actually more quiet than the OEM unit.

It was totally transformed though when a set of HFCs were fitted. Resulted in a lovely tone throughout the rev range, not at all "drony" and nice and quiet on motorway cruise.

David

• Like 3

A milltek for £550 is a bargain, that's a good £350 off retail. at that price you could buy it and try it, and if you don't like it take if off and sell it for no loss.

as said, a milltek is at the quieter end of the spectrum along with a scorpion, with cobra and invidia Gemini in the middle, working your way up to a buddyclub and the infamous K1. so depends what kind of noise you want.

I've got a cobra resonated on mine and its awesome, decent growl at WOT and lovely pops and burbles at tickover when warm.

• Like 1

I had a Cobra non resonated with decat pipes.. I had to take it off as it was too loud... People could quite literally hear me coming from about a mile away. So if you're planning on further upgrades I would suggest getting an exhaust in the middle of the sound range.

• Like 1

I run a HR with a Milltek and HFCs, and I love it. Good sound on startup, no drone when cruising and a great noise when you open the throttle. The build-quality of the exhaust was good too - nice welds, perfect fit.

Edit: PS - It's by no means 'loud' (not compared to others I've heard!), just 'nice'.

Edited by Commander
  • Like 1

Both are good exhausts. I had the milltek, its a lovely quality exhaust but only slightly more noticeable in volume than stock. However when combined with HFCs it was perfect. It really made the milltek shine and i do miss that noise.

Cobra is also a very good exhaust and sounds lovely, i have heard Humpys and a few others on various drive meets and i do like the sound.

In summary both are great (but you will likely need hfcs with the milltek) so i'd get out to a meet and see what they are like in the flesh before spending your money

• Like 1

I had a Cobra fitted on Tuesday, suppiled by CS, a trader on here. I've also got Berks HFCs plus a Stillen Y pipe and it sounds epic in my opinion. It is pretty loud however I commute to and from work on the M62 and it's not overbearing when cruising.

It's difficult to recommend something like this as it all boils down to personal taste. As the other have said, listen to the two and make a decision from there . . . . .

Cobra are going up in price soon (Jan)

If it was me I would choose Invidia or Ark

Milltek is a traditional style that will cost you more than an Invidia true dual

Cobra is a traditional style, if you buy a Ypipe then it will be similar to an Invidia

Having said that both Cobra and Milltek are good systems

Ark and Invidia look better, flow better and sound better though, thats just my personal opinion though

Plenty of vids on here to browse over:

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/nissan-350z.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I can only speak of the Miltek.

You will find it very quiet. When I had mine fitted by Abbey I thought it was actually more quiet than the OEM unit.

It was totally transformed though when a set of HFCs were fitted. Resulted in a lovely tone throughout the rev range, not at all "drony" and nice and quiet on motorway cruise.

David

Can also only speak for Milltek with HFC's. Absolutely love the sound it makes.

Based on what I've read before (and is reflected in this thread) Milltek without HFC's is too quiet (much like OEM exhaust).

Cobra without and Milltek with HFC's are roughly similar.

Cobra with HFC's is pretty loud.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got round to ordering and fitting the exhaust. Went for the milltek in the end and couldn't be more pleased. Looks spot on, sounds really good, and doesn't drone at all on the motorway. Highly recommended :D

Glad you are pleased with your choice mate. Looks good :thumbs:

• Like 1