gangzoom

Well, I'm probably more paranoid than most. 10% of death in Ebola outbreaks are in medical staff, infact in the WHO guide to viral Haemorrhagic fever, the death of healthcare workers are often the first signs of a impending out break.

Been one of the most experienced/senior medic available oncall over night means i get all the calls about stuff others don't know what to with, when oncall we are covering a population of 700,000 which includes a large immigrant populations, I think I'm entitled to be paranoid....may be just a little :)

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 3

Well, I'm probably more paranoid than most. 10% of death in Ebola outbreaks are in medical staff, infact in the WHO guide to viral Haemorrhagic fever, the death of healthcare workers are often the first signs of a impending out break.

Been one of the most experienced/senior medic available oncall over night means i get all the calls about stuff others don't know what to with, when oncall we are covering a population of 700,000 which includes a large immigrant populations, I think I'm entitled to be paranoid....may be just a little :)

Stay safe. :thumbs:

Just another scare. To distract from uk and america getting involved in other countries busness. Company who happens to be in cahoots with governments come up with vaccine, nhs/hospitals buys shots loads of it all fades off and never heard of again like swine flu. I'm sure there's other diseases worse and more common going un reported.

I've lost any respect for media coverage over the past few months after seeing how biased and corrupt it can be

Does your head not get hot under that tinfoil hat?

To be fair the media/authorities seem to over egg situations like this to take the public eye of other things. Take the screening at one major SE airport starting today....if they believe it's a serious concern and screening is effective why isn't it at all airports? My foil hat is firmly affixed by the way :lol:

The telling sign in this thread is that it's started by a rational well educated person who understands the implications far better than me.

Oh and btw thanks Gangzoom and your colleagues for doing what you do!

• Like 1

Just another scare. To distract from uk and america getting involved in other countries busness. Company who happens to be in cahoots with governments come up with vaccine, nhs/hospitals buys shots loads of it all fades off and never heard of again like swine flu. I'm sure there's other diseases worse and more common going un reported.

I've lost any respect for media coverage over the past few months after seeing how biased and corrupt it can be

I would love to say I agree with you but unfortunately Ebola isn't something made up or a media 'fab'. SARS, Bird flu/Swine flu was not a virulent or severe as first predicted, but still put the intensive care service in the UK under strain, i remember doing one shift where we identified 2-3 young adults that needed ventilation support due to viral infection but the intensive care unit was already full, and we had open theatres recovery to make a temporary mini-intensive care unit.

Ebola certainly isn't going to affect the UK like it had done in Western Africa, but this is a virus that has a 70% mortality rate (chance of you dying in hospital due to the infection) even with all best conventional care. I honest cannot think of any other disease/infection that has any where near that morality rate of Ebola.

For comparison the much published MRSA 'superbug' has a mortality of 10%, necrotising fasciits 'flesh eating bacteria' (which I've only ever managed 2 cases directly) has a mortality rate of under 30%. So as you can see Ebola with it's 70% mortality is much much more serious than any 'conventional' infection we have here in the UK.

But thankfully I think the big pharma companies will be able to produce an effective vaccine to the virus, and in large enough numbers by early 2015, so actually even if the current outbreak continues to spread it will be contained. The airport 'screening' is a joke and total waste of time, but it will help keep the general public happy, as government will appear to be doing something.

The real sad news is for the western Africa countries that the disease is currently affecting, this virus is doesn't care what religion you are, how rich/poor you are, it simply infects people and kills them. Unfortunately the health care systems of the countries involved are totally over whelmed, and the rest of the world has been very slow to react...untill now, when there is a real prospect of the disease spreading to other countries.

I have been impressed by the response of the WHO (though I'm still not a fan of their music :lol: ), I was always under the impressing the WHO really didn't have much power, but in this disease outbreak have actually been extremely effective at disseminating information, tracking the disease, and co-ordinating the research. I guess its a good sign, that when required/forced we (the world) do have the knowledge/technology/resources to fight/stop what would otherwise be a world changing disease :).

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Also I spent some time in Nigeria earlier this year hopefully I would have survived long enough to be clear
The incubation time is 21 days I think, hears on the news earlier that Nigeria haven't had a new case for over 40 days now so depending on when you left you should be ok

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Also I spent some time in Nigeria earlier this year hopefully I would have survived long enough to be clear
The incubation time is 21 days I think, hears on the news earlier that Nigeria haven't had a new case for over 40 days now so depending on when you left you should be ok

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

I think Steve sghould be banned from any meets over the next 12 months just incase:P

Hasn't the World population gone from something like 2 billion to 7 billion in the last 100 years?

There seems to be a panic for a cure to every disease known to man so things can only get worse.

Billy Connolly had the right idea, canibalism is the way to go, eat the old people first to ease overcrowding and taxes, then eat everyone in prison to ease crime, then put all the homeless in the prison to solve that problem. Then eat all the unemployed, see it solves all problems :)

• Like 1