Marzman's Mercedes G-Wagen build UPDATE Wheels fitted pg 6

marzman

Craaaaaap.

Well today i think busted a gut, literally. I've had a slight pain in my lower abdomen for the last 3 weeks. I went to the docs a week ago and they said it's probably just a muscle strain, but today whilst trying to undo one of the wheel nuts on the G the pain got a lot worse.

I've now got a small soft lump in the top front of my thigh, and a fair amount of pain/discomfort.... i think i've given myself a hernia. :headhurt:

After a bit of googling, it appears to be a rare type called a Femoral Hernia, in the top of my thigh in the femoral channel, instead of the usual groin area. Google says immediate treatment and surgery is required. :rant:

Gonna try to get into the docs again on Monday and see what they say, but that might be me laid up for a bit. Certainly wont be fitting the wheels the weekend. :byebye:

Bl@@dy hell Chris! You should have called me I have breaker bars up to 1" drive and over a metre long. Sounds like you need to get it seen to asap but not sure if A&E in Macc on a Friday night is a fun destination.

Hope you get well soon, only working locally at the moment so if there's anything we can help with just ring.

Bl@@dy hell Chris! You should have called me I have breaker bars up to 1" drive and over a metre long. Sounds like you need to get it seen to asap but not sure if A&E in Macc on a Friday night is a fun destination.

Hope you get well soon, only working locally at the moment so if there's anything we can help with just ring.

Cheers mate.

I think i'm just gonna buy an impact wrench for it. An air compressor is on my shopping list anyway so will get one asap instead of waiting. Pretty gutted though, i was really looking forward to getting stuck in the weekend but now im lay on the sofa feeling sorry for myself.

So anyway back on topic, i'm bidding on something rather interesting on eBay... another G-Wagen! It's a 1983 LWB, but has been restored pretty much to the standard i'm aiming for so this is a real acid test. Depending on how much this goes for may dictate how much im willing to put into my resto.

It's got the front end conversion, LED rear lights, new wheels, black respray, and a few other odds and sods, but somehow it doesnt look right. It needs some side steps and the wheel/arch gap needs closing (bigger tyres perhaps).

Anyway, i've put a speculative £5k bid on it, but also asked the seller if he has any advice for me on the build, and he's given me his number so we can have a chat! Im not expecting to win it for that, but if i do i'll probably just use this one for my base instead of my current one. :blush:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1

Well not having the best of weekends really :surrender:

My mate came round to give me a lift with the wheels seeing as i'm crippled, and they dont fit. :dry: The centre bore on the G is larger than the centre bore on the wheels, so they wont go on. New plan is to see if i can find (or have made) some spacers which will reduce that cenre bore size. Any tips on where to get this done anyone?

That said, we did at least get the 1 wheel bolted on which looked great, before taking it off again (sorry no pics).

So i cracked on with the tear down instead. The headlining, seatbelts, carpets, and all interior trim with the exception of the front cab is now out of the car (and labeled up). Also removed some of the exterior side strips although the front wing pieces wont budge. Managed to snap 2 drill bits trying to drill out the screws. :lol:

221363AA-A527-449C-8DD2-D1B4C3776636-34410-00003F7B3A5DA487_zps193f6545.jpg

1A933C36-1968-433F-AF24-34AB5B529B1C-34410-00003F7B41C8F670_zpsd91ae786.jpg

Side trim removed. Delighted to see there was no rust under these, as have seen quite a few online that have rusted through here.

597668E5-F4FF-4467-A668-958802E29644-34410-00003F7B4C90E9EF_zps30c8cd60.jpg

This is the only bad spot of rust on the car - lower rear corner.

FD04D63F-CF25-40D2-B1AD-744BF2174846-34410-00003F7B46D595B0_zpsb5a4bf17.jpg

And lastly a gratuitous shot of my sockets. Wont be to many people's taste's (and no, they dont make me a tart :p ), but i like them.

EE19078C-50F4-4A5B-BE1D-FD7BAD8F71A5-34410-00003F7B52AB2D6D_zps3fce1c00.jpg

• Like 1

Craaaaaap.

Well today i think busted a gut, literally. I've had a slight pain in my lower abdomen for the last 3 weeks. I went to the docs a week ago and they said it's probably just a muscle strain, but today whilst trying to undo one of the wheel nuts on the G the pain got a lot worse.

I've now got a small soft lump in the top front of my thigh, and a fair amount of pain/discomfort.... i think i've given myself a hernia. :headhurt:

After a bit of googling, it appears to be a rare type called a Femoral Hernia, in the top of my thigh in the femoral channel, instead of the usual groin area. Google says immediate treatment and surgery is required. :rant:

Gonna try to get into the docs again on Monday and see what they say, but that might be me laid up for a bit. Certainly wont be fitting the wheels the weekend. :byebye:

I have had one of those hernias and if it is that, get your ass to the doctor!! My doctor (family doctor for 15 years) actually swore at me for leaving it so long. The difference of a few weeks is the difference between prescription and a surgical fix. I ended up having to have the surgery (not keyhole) and took me 6 weeks before I was reasonably comfortable, 6 months before range of motion came back. Still hurts now and then......... if you can get away without the surgery DO IT!!!!

So anyway back on topic, i'm bidding on something rather interesting on eBay... another G-Wagen! It's a 1983 LWB, but has been restored pretty much to the standard i'm aiming for so this is a real acid test. Depending on how much this goes for may dictate how much im willing to put into my resto.

It's got the front end conversion, LED rear lights, new wheels, black respray, and a few other odds and sods, but somehow it doesnt look right. It needs some side steps and the wheel/arch gap needs closing (bigger tyres perhaps).

Anyway, i've put a speculative £5k bid on it, but also asked the seller if he has any advice for me on the build, and he's given me his number so we can have a chat! Im not expecting to win it for that, but if i do i'll probably just use this one for my base instead of my current one. :blush:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

On a slightly lighter note, can I have the spare one when you are done with everything ;) seriously!

Chris, have a word with Tony at Progress Aero Works in town, he's machined a few things for the E type. Cobalt drill bits are best for broken bolts and are cheapest at Toolstation near you. At least you've managed a bit. I think it's just the tyres that look wrong on the black e bay one.

• Like 1

Chris, have a word with Tony at Progress Aero Works in town, he's machined a few things for the E type. Cobalt drill bits are best for broken bolts and are cheapest at Toolstation near you. At least you've managed a bit. I think it's just the tyres that look wrong on the black e bay one.

Totally agree with that. ;)

I've a set of Irwin Cobalt HSS drill bits ~ used and abused on all sorts of steel, brass & other metals. Still sharp & not had one break yet. B)

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-HSS-Cobalt-Drill-Bit-Set-15-Piece-10503990-/151320955253?_trksid=p2054897.l4275