Marzman's Mercedes G-Wagen build UPDATE Wheels fitted pg 6

marzman

Hi all,

So today i won an ebay auction for one of my dream cars - a Mercedes G-Wagen (or Wagon, i dont know which is right yet!)

I've been after one of these for years, and I've always said that I would get one as my first restoration project. Usually the rotters go for between £5-7k, but i've managed to pick this one up for £3700, with 8 months MOT and 4 months Tax!

It looks reasonably straight... it's a 2.4 Litre Petrol, giving 156BHP, and has 71k on the clock. There is some rust as you can see from the pictures, and the interior needs a retrim/refresh, but as restorations go i think this should be reasonably straight forward hopefully!

My plan is to spend £3-4k on the restoration, after which i'm hoping to keep it for a while before selling. A properly restored model will sell for anywhere between £10-20k depending on the quality of the job, so I'm hoping at the very least to make a couple of grand on it by the time i'm done.

I've not seen it in person yet as it's 180 miles away down in Bristol, but i'm expecting a rust bucket anyway so as long as it starts and drives, im having it. The seller reckons it'll get me home without any problems so it should be alright!

So, my brother's called in sick from work to give me a lift down to get it tomorrow, and then i;m driving it back and then we'll be having a few beers!

Pics are below.

_57w_zpsd71f6496.jpg

_57_zpsa60ba040.jpg

r_57_zps6038cc69.jpg

_5w7_zpseb1a4188.jpg

_g57_zps0b461f97.jpg

w_57_zps0819c94f.jpg

y_57_zps5f170047.jpg

g_zps4c8ea715.jpg

t_zpsc081fd93.jpg

_h57_zps45154d6d.jpg

_57y_zps8867f7e3.jpg

_5t_zps63f0e906.jpg

Early plans are to fix the rust and any mechanical issues, to make sure i've got a solid base. Following this it'll be having a full respray in gun metal grey, with new wheels, custom exhaust, and i'll consider changing the ride height, and an interior retrim obviously. I'm also going to see how well this engine runs, as at the back of my mind i'd like to drop in a big power mercedes lump out of an S Class or something (55).

Overall i'm looking to have a finished article that looks like this:

Mercedes_Benz-G_Class_mp35_pic_100113.jpg

Mercedes_Benz-G_Class_AMG_mp35_pic_91979.jpg

Edited by marzman
  • Like 3

Looks like a good project mate :thumbs:

My only question is if you want it to look like the silver ones pictured - how are you going to add the extra doors :shrug:

I will subscribe for updates as they come :)

• Like 4

mike_zps78e895ad.jpg

:lol: :lol: Love it.

i sent my bro txt to tell him about it today, and i said 'You can do the welding, the engine work, fix the rust, paint it, and do the suspension. I'll give it a good detail.'

I'm aiming to be more of a Richard Rawlings from Gas Monkey Garage instead of Mike Brewer. :D

My only question is if you want it to look like the silver ones pictured - how are you going to add the extra doors :shrug:

I prefer the SWB shape, I just couldnt find any pictures of one in that colour. :lol:

• Like 1

He'll take it to the Zed Shed, there's a geezer there that loves cutting and welding all sorts of stuff :stir::D
  • Like 1

He'll take it to the Zed Shed, there's a geezer there that loves cutting and welding all sorts of stuff :stir::D

Well if that's the case an he is going to be Richard Rawlings do I have to grow an amazing beard????????

Well if that's the case an he is going to be Richard Rawlings do I have to grow an amazing beard????????

But Chris, you're halfway there, you already have a donut assistant :lol:

Marzman, it is G-Wagen, which is short for Gelände Wagen (German for Off-Road Vehicle)

• Like 1

Spotted someone's new purchase on the m6 :p

20141003_173325.jpg

:clap: :clap: Brilliant, that's me!

What a long day... set off at 7.30am with my brother, got down there for 12pm, was back on the road at 1pm and have just got home 30mins ago, at 7.15pm.

I'll save my writeup for later tonight/tomorrow as i've got a migraine at the moment (maybe from the smell of the car on the way home :surrender:), but all i can say right now is that it drives really well, but it is frickin enormous!! I didnt realise they were as big as they are - i reckon it rivals my RRS in size. ...i'm feeling i may have bitten off more than i can chew. :blink:

Leon - Joelle mentioned you stopped by. Sorry i wasnt home yet. I should be about all weekend though if you want to pop round again (best before 3pm on Sat though as i've got my family round for my birthday in the evening). :thumbs: I could definitely use your advise on a project plan...!!

Edited by marzman