Marzman's Mercedes G-Wagen build UPDATE Wheels fitted pg 6

marzman

Leon - Joelle mentioned you stopped by. Sorry i wasnt home yet. I should be about all weekend though if you want to pop round again (best before 3pm on Sat though as i've got my family round for my birthday in the evening). :thumbs: I could definitely use your advise on a project plan...!!

No worries, was on my way home and thought I'd call in. Glad you got back ok, I'll call after work tomorrow about 1ish.

Cheers guys.

So far all i've done is research and lots of reading, and the only thing i've bought is a steam cleaner!

So the current plan is:

Steam clean the engine bay. There are 3 apparent oil leaks. 2 look easy to get at but the 3rd is an engine out job. I'll need to look if i can pull the engine through the front though as i will need a big ass lift to hoist it up and out!

Fix the fuel tank problems. The rubber fuel filler neck pipe and one of the breather pipes has perished, so i need to replace them. Sadly that single rubber pipe from MB is about £150, so i'll be looking for an alternative solution. It also looks like the fuel tank has had a dodgy fiberglass repair on top of it at some point which is now coming apart, so i will need to either repair this, or replace the tank. Again, a new fuel tank on one of these is £1200, so i will probably come up with a custom solution instead.

Looks a good project, have driven one a few times, very underpowered.

Best to throw away the 2.4 lump and fit a 5.4 AMG 364 BHP from a ML. :thumbs:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3396019d5a

Mine's the 2.8 (although i know i said 2.4 on my first post, my mistake!). It is a lot slower than i was expecting, but i think its part of the experience! On the motorway it was fine at 70mph.

I would have though an engine swap would be really easy, but from the reading i've done there have been very few. People are saying that because it's such an old car with no electronics etc, fitting any kind of modern engine in it is very difficult. I find this hard to believe though as surely you would just rip everything out and replace with modern kit? Anyway, we'll see.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

So far all i've done is research and lots of reading, and the only thing i've bought is a steam cleaner!

So the current plan is:

Steam clean the engine bay. There are 3 apparent oil leaks. 2 look easy to get at but the 3rd is an engine out job. I'll need to look if i can pull the engine through the front though as i will need a big ass lift to hoist it up and out!

Fix the fuel tank problems. The rubber fuel filler neck pipe and one of the breather pipes has perished, so i need to replace them. Sadly that single rubber pipe from MB is about £150, so i'll be looking for an alternative solution. It also looks like the fuel tank has had a dodgy fiberglass repair on top of it at some point which is now coming apart, so i will need to either repair this, or replace the tank. Again, a new fuel tank on one of these is £1200, so i will probably come up with a custom solution instead.

Looks a good project, have driven one a few times, very underpowered.

Best to throw away the 2.4 lump and fit a 5.4 AMG 364 BHP from a ML. :thumbs:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3396019d5a

Mine's the 2.8 (although i know i said 2.4 on my first post, my mistake!). It is a lot slower than i was expecting, but i think its part of the experience! On the motorway it was fine at 70mph.

I would have though an engine swap would be really easy, but from the reading i've done there have been very few. People are saying that because it's such an old car with no electronics etc, fitting any kind of modern engine in it is very difficult. I find this hard to believe though as surely you would just rip everything out and replace with modern kit? Anyway, we'll see.

Lovely sunny day in Macclesfield, I'll be round checking up on you! If people are fitting small block Chevy engines to 350zs then anything is possible. I would have thought the main problem is finding an adaptor plate to mate it to the gearbox.

• Like 1

Lovely sunny day in Macclesfield, I'll be round checking up on you! If people are fitting small block Chevy engines to 350zs then anything is possible. I would have thought the main problem is finding an adaptor plate to mate it to the gearbox.

Hey mate. I was down at the paintballing in Cosford today! Still not done anything on it yet!

Okay, first purchase made! I've just bought some 19" Porsche Cayenne wheels for it! £200 with tyres. Cayenne wheels are one of the only wheels with the correct PCD and offset.

These probably wont be the final wheels it ends up on, but I wanted some legal tyres and something smaller/more maneuverable to improve drive-ability.

wheels1_zps6c5ee9ee.jpg

wheels2_zpsc91440fe.jpg

I think they may look good painted gold though. B)

project-gladiator-brabus-widestar-on-adv1-wheels-photo-gallery_6_zps02ff3bd6.jpg

• Like 2

Hey mate. I was down at the paintballing in Cosford today! Still not done anything on it yet!

I was about to ask where you were?? So did you go straight to Warped? :shrug:

Yep we went straight there. :thumbs:

I'm aching today from all the running around! No bruises though.

Very minor update. I had a couple of hours free this morning so I began stripping the interior. It's all nice and chunky and easy to work with.

I didnt have too long spare so i just took out the rear bench and some of the interior wall trim.

I went out and bought a number of 'bit boxes' so i can keep tabs on all of the parts i take off. :thumbs:

CFC138BA-CB09-42B3-BF6C-5A62DB493D30-31595-000039B6D02F88C0_zps331419f5.jpg

8F26254D-5212-4BA3-B9DA-2787EF964A64-31595-000039B6C9B75EF0_zps2a653ba8.jpg

mike_zps78e895ad.jpg

:lol: :lol: Love it.

i sent my bro txt to tell him about it today, and i said 'You can do the welding, the engine work, fix the rust, paint it, and do the suspension. I'll give it a good detail.'

I'm aiming to be more of a Richard Rawlings from Gas Monkey Garage instead of Mike Brewer. :D

What sit on ya butt and let the Monkeys do the work? Luv it :)

^^ Sandwich bags work well for bolts/nuts and things ~ cheaper than boxes too. :thumbs:

And a camera is a must, can't take too many pics

:thumbs:

What makes sense now won't in 6 months

+1 on both those points. Been trying to build up the boot hinges today and thank goodness I took some pictures as somehow I'd managed to get them back to front. I also engraved a small "L" and "R" with a dremel onto components which has been extremely useful.

Anyway looking great from what I saw briefly today. :thumbs:

• Like 2