Defensive parking

tatooandy67

I got murdered by you lot for posting a picture of my '70 like this about a year ago.

It was in the "I park like a ****" thread, lol.

My further details about it being miles away from the entrance, on a Sunday, when it was closed mattered not.

Ricey was particularly kind to me about it.

Offending picture.

null-55.jpg

• Like 1

I have only ever parked like the OP once, and that was outside the local chemists whilst I quickly popped in. The car park was half empty, so I didnt think it would be an issue. However, id barely got out of my car before some passerby started having a go at me for parking in 2 spaces. So ive never done it since.

I try to wait until it's late before I go to supermarkets, then I use the parent & child spaces. I hate the standard spaces.

As a parent with a 10 month old baby, ive only just started using the parent & child spaces and I soon realised that about 60% of people parking in them do not have any children with them and just use them because usually closer to the store. Its infuriating trying to get a baby, pram and all the gear out in an ordinary space just because some selfish so & so has parked in a parent & child space.

I have only ever parked like the OP once, and that was outside the local chemists whilst I quickly popped in. The car park was half empty, so I didnt think it would be an issue. However, id barely got out of my car before some passerby started having a go at me for parking in 2 spaces. So ive never done it since.

I try to wait until it's late before I go to supermarkets, then I use the parent & child spaces. I hate the standard spaces.

As a parent with a 10 month old baby, ive only just started using the parent & child spaces and I soon realised that about 60% of people parking in them do not have any children with them and just use them because usually closer to the store. Its infuriating trying to get a baby, pram and all the gear out in an ordinary space just because some selfish so & so has parked in a parent & child space.

It's also infuriating trying to squeeze out of a 3 door coupe in the tiny spaces made for Kia Picanto's :)

• Like 2

I try to avoid supermarket car parks tbh In fact car parks in general as there is an unimaginable amount of muppets out there that I've personally watched slam open their doors into the car next to where they've parked or touch park or scuff someone's bumper wing etc and just shrug it off, I even approached one lad some time ago who had just left a lovely dent in someone's pride and joy and he was amazed at my reaction, it's just a car blah blah etc so on the rare occasion when I have to park in one of these god awful places I either stay with my car or park like I did in the pic and buy 2 tickets, may sound harsh & probably a bit selfish but Johnny chav or whoever doesn't give a hoot, yesterday's post in they shouldn't be on the road sums it up for me, IMO the majority of drivers either don't care or are just too bloody stupid to know better, end of rant :thumbs:

I don't see why parents with brats have to get special privilages. Having a kid is a choice not an affliction. I'm all for special spaces for the disabled but I don't see why dropping a kid suddently entitles people to special treatment :p:stir:

• Like 1

I don't see why parents with brats have to get special privilages. Having a kid is a choice not an affliction. I'm all for special spaces for the disabled but I don't see why dropping a kid suddently entitles people to special treatment :p:stir:

:lol: ah, there speaks a DINKY

Hear hear, well said that man!

*awaits Chesterfield to come along*

• Like 1

Mainly because car park spaces are so fecking small, that it's almost impossible to open a car door and remove a child car seat.

Also look at it as defensive parking in favour of you.

It means that the car which has 3 kids in who don't give a damn about the car next to them, won't be opening and pushing a car door into your car as there is enough space around them in the parent & child spaces.

Mainly because car park spaces are so fecking small, that it's almost impossible to open a car door and remove a child car seat.

Also look at it as defensive parking in favour of you.

It means that the car which has 3 kids in who don't give a damn about the car next to them, won't be opening and pushing a car door into your car as there is enough space around them in the parent & child spaces.

+1

I normally park far enough away from the people carriers and parent/child parking as I can.

Fair play if you buy 2 tickets and park across a bay, unfortunately you still look a knob and probably attract more of the kind of attention you are trying to avoid than you would if you parked appropriately :)

But that implies that parents should ONLY park there, which they don't. They park everywhere, so really they're no use at all.

It's a marketing thing, more than anything.

And I'm happy to buy into that marketing when I am out in the S-Max with the kids in it.

Makes my life so much easier having the space around me to get the boys out and into a trolley.

• Like 1

Quote....Fair play if you buy 2 tickets and park across a bay, unfortunately you still look a knob and probably attract more of the kind of attention you are trying to avoid than you would if you parked appropriately

I think it's a mixed bag (damned if you do damned if you don't ) the best option IMO is to just avoid supermarket car parks if possible, that's what I try to do anyway :)

Edit.... that said I can appreciate the need to park at the supermarket etc, i just would rather not take the chance unless I really need to which fortunately for me and my zed is not too often, I usually drop off the mrs then go for a little drive or go home and wait for the phone call to say she's ready to be picked up, won't work for everyone but suits me :thumbs:

Edited by tatooandy67

I'll take your anger and carry on doing it. :)

• Like 1

I normally park far enough away from the people carriers and parent/child parking as I can.

I avoid 4 W/D's as well. It's really difficult to reverse out of your spot with one of these leviathans parked along side you. In fact I rarely park in any spaces that aren't roll on, roll off. Being crap at reversing doesn't help though :blush:

Pete

I avoid 4 W/D's as well. It's really difficult to reverse out of your spot with one of these leviathans parked along side you. In fact I rarely park in any spaces that aren't roll on, roll off. Being crap at reversing doesn't help though :blush:

Pete

Im sure SMD will let you practise your reversing skills in the barge :thumbs:

Pete

Im sure SMD will let you practise your reversing skills in the barge :thumbs:

Easy in the barge, camera & sensors :p