Cars that were better, worse or as you expected

NeilMH

The heading says it all really. Please nominate cars that exceeded, fell short of or well met your expectations one way or another. This, as you can imagine, is not a factual thing....it's more to do with what was in your mind beforehand. Also it might be that you drove a rogue (or saintly) example?

I will kick off:

Better - Alfa 145 QV (in UK Green Cloverleaf). Everyone had said "all Alfas are now rubbish". The engine was a gem, the handling was much better than I expected (albeit with some body roll) and it never broke down. A great 2 years.

Worse - Z3M Roadster. I had been told that the M version addressed the issues with the standard Z3. One of the most disappointing drives - almost devoid of feel. Didn't finish the test drive. Bought 350Z.

Met (bad) - My Dad bought an FSO Polonez. No further narrative necessary.

Met (good) - Caterham 7

• Like 1

Alfa 156 ... fewer problems that these cars are meant to have

1986 TransAM ... definitely not a performance car, a bit of a dog really

E-Type Jag ... noisy in a bad way and poor handling

Fiat 124 ... lots of fun especially as it was a firm's car

Suzuki SJ 40 ... gets to places a Land Rover cannot reach

Sunbeam Rapier Mk IV ... not as fast as it should have been

• Like 1

A few from my list:

Fiat Uno 1991. Complete load of junk with dreadful gearbox.

Mini Cooper. 1993. Good to drive but leaked like a sieve and even had to have a new engine.

Mini Cooper. 1995. Built under BMW ownership. Good fun. Massive improvement on build quality.

Skoda Octavia.2011. Excellent car. Practical, reliable and well built. Despite the badge, best bang for your buck I have ever owned :thumbs :

• Like 1

1974 Vauxhall Magnum 2300 coupe with Blydenstein 3R big valve head, twin 48 Dellorto's, rally cam, Blydenstein manifold & exhaust.....fast but... you could watch the fuel go down in the tank sight glass on tickover! :scare:

1978 MGB Roadster with half race cam and Janspeed exhaust........sounded nice but performance was :yuck:

Alfa 156 ... fewer problems that these cars are meant to have

1986 TransAM ... definitely not a performance car, a bit of a dog really

E-Type Jag ... noisy in a bad way and poor handling

Fiat 124 ... lots of fun especially as it was a firm's car

Suzuki SJ 40 ... gets to places a Land Rover cannot reach

Sunbeam Rapier Mk IV ... not as fast as it should have been

Totally agree re the Alfa 156. Had mine for 16 years from new, and now my daughter has it. No major problems and still looks good today. No rust, no electrical problems, great engine. Must have got a rogue one. :)
  • Like 2

1974 Vauxhall Magnum 2300 coupe with Blydenstein 3R big valve head, twin 48 Dellorto's, rally cam, Blydenstein manifold & exhaust.....fast but... you could watch the fuel go down in the tank sight glass on tickover! :scare:

1978 MGB Roadster with half race cam and Janspeed exhaust........sounded nice but performance was :yuck:

You have just reminded me (and it has nothing to do with this thread) that I once fitted a Peco exhaust to a Standard 10 :p No performance improvement was detected :lol:

You have just reminded me (and it has nothing to do with this thread) that I once fitted a Peco exhaust to a Standard 10 :p No performance improvement was detected :lol:

Straight through scaffold pole was the de rigueur performance improvement in my day :lol:

• Like 1

Sunbeam Rapier - now you're talking.

Never owned or indeed driven one but I used to get a lift to work in one when I was in my teens. It was a gold and black one, "D" reg, 1966 and compared to my dad's Cortina seemed like a rocket ship :) .

Pete

• Like 1

Exceeded : 350z - oh wow!!

Exceeded : Ford focus (x reg) had this for 9 years far better than I expected hence I had it 9 years and 155k miles. Cost per miles EPIC!

Exceeded : Vauxhall Insignia - actually it's not a bad car at all apart from its not exactly a looker.

Disappointed : VW Passat - Pile of junk, auto this, auto that, drives like a boat and under powered. Was glad to see the end of that.

Exceeded : Nissan Juke - actually feels like a big Zed, all the same creature comforts and sport mode is fun

• Like 1

Cars I've driven but not owned.

MGB, Gutless, handled like a barge

Ford Anglia, best gearchange I've ever encountered

Ford Focus ST, disappointing, boring.

Austin Montego Turbo, defies description

Land Rover, Uncomfortable, noisy , tiring

Toyota Avensis, O.K if you're not interested in cars

Mini Cooper 970, Fun

Honda S2000, Nice car

Triumph 1300/1500, Comfortable but ropey handling (My dad had both of these)

Vauxhall Chevette, Just awful.

My Cars,

Lotus Europa, buy in haste, repent at leisure.

MG Midget, better than the MGB

Triumph Spitfire, better than the Midget

Triumph GT6, Other than rust and minor reliability issues not bad at all

Ford Capri 2.8i, I'd have another one

Fiat X1/9, Almost impossible to reach the cars limit in the dry, but needed another 50 bhp and body parts that had some sort of rust protection

Datsun Cherry, Well, it was very reliable

Sunbeam Stiletto, Loved this car, considering it only had 875cc it would keep up with a 1.3 Spitfire.

Pete

• Like 1

One car that definitely exceeded my expectations was my 2003 Honda Civic Type R (30th Anniversary Edition).

Had 104K plus on the clock when I bought it and I added 15K on top of that over 3 years ~ never missed a beat. Started first time every time.

Changed the oil & filter every year and only replaced one set of tyres. Most reliable car that I've ever owned & VTEC was great fun. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Failed Expectations:

Pug 406 coupe - Hated every damn moment of owning the hateful piece of scrap.

Nissan 370z - Unbelievably dull and cramped compared to my 350z. Decided to buy the VXR8 instead.

Above expectations:

Vauxhall Insignia - after years of dull hire cars, this was a breath of fresh air.

S-Max - When I found out my wife was expecting twins I thought I was destined to a life of boring MPV's. The S-Max (2.2 TDi) has proven me wrong.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff :thumbs:

Datsun Cherry - the basis for the Alfa Romeo Arna if I remember correctly. Anyone admit to having one?

I hadn't expected anyone not to like the Focus ST (albeit I haven't driven one myself).

Lexx your comments about the S-Max shows how something that can just come out of left field and surprise you.

Biggest let down was the 350Z, wasn't a bad car just felt it never delivered what I had expected

Exceed my expectations was the mr2 roadster, absolute gem of a motor.

Met expectations I suppose my xkr possibly why its been my longest ever car ownership.

• Like 1

350z surprised me, sure I had an expectation of it before I drove it but once I did a test drive... I wasnt expecting it impress me that much

Subaru Impreza, I was only drawn to it because it was converted to RWD. But it was also quite a bit faster than I thought it would have been. Was fun, but I hated workibg on its engine. Rad hose popped, injector died, water transfer pipe O ring failed...

I guess I was disappointed with a Nissan Sunny GTi only because I went from a turbod car to it, felt like something more was needed... like a turbo!

Past & present family cars:

Past & better than expected: skoda fabia VRS- excellent car. Reliable, cheap, quick, good cruisers & actually returned the mpg the manufacturer stated.

Past & worse: Audi a3 s-line sportback- crap, unreliable, poor build quality over perceived build quality, very average mpg, rock solid suspension & absolutely no character about it whatsoever!

Present & as expected: BMW x3 30d- real world mpg for something as big, heavy & fast, comfortable, fast, solid build & some great gadgets like the HUD.

In summary: skodas are great value for money with a happy go lucky kind of feel.

Audis ( non sporty) are overrated & overpriced with no character. Bmw's are good at what they're supposed to do & be cars for a reasonable price.

exceeded......Ford Zephyr 6 1964 ( first car ) loved every second of ownership and boy could she shift for such a large motor

exceeded.....Renault Fuego 2.0ltrs of pure driving pleasure , 165000 miles and was sad to see her go

exceeded....Mazda 323 gts 2.5 v6 brilliant little car

exceeded.....Lancia Fire ( wife's car ) little pocket rocket

exceeded.....350Z GT current car,,,,,,,:)

Failures:

Ford Capri 2.0s........

Ford Granada 2.5 Ghia

Mini Cooper (classic) - loved it, but too easy to break (I removed the gearshifter from the gearbox and dented the roof - at the same time)

Nissan GT-R35 - love it!!!! Better than I ever expected

Honda S2000 - disappointed, felt cramped inside and having to rev the engine takes getting used too

Audi R8 v10 - lovely sound, but the gear change is terrible

Aston Martin v8 Vantage S - lovely sound, but the gear change is terrible

Mercedes C63 AMG - disappointed, just felt like an average car that someone had put a v8 into, nothing special

Way better? Corvette Z06 2007. Civic 2.2 TD. Cayman S. Monaro 6.2.

Way worse? Just one car. THE most over rated sports car of all time.

Ferrari F40. Said to be the best in it's class by many.

I drove one for 220 miles. Awful. Esp at what they cost!!

Edited by Peak 370

I had better explain.

1/ The horrific fit of body panels. Look like they were cobbled together in a barn by a bunch of drunks.

2/ The interior quality. Like a 50s race car, not a 90s road car.

3/ Rubbish gear change. Lumpy and with ratios far too wide for the turbo lag-laden engine.

4/ Brakes poor, indeed totally inadequate for a car which can do 201 mph. (Good luck getting that speed though.)

5/ An engine far too hastily rolled out. 478 bhp from 2.9 litres, but with horrific turbo lag. The 458 is a light year better. A 3.5 engine would have been a lot better.

6/ Fit and finish on a par with a 90s Kia.

It's a kit car. 1,100 kgs. 478 bhp. A million pounds to buy a mint one now.

Give me my mate's 750 bhp Ultima pushrod Corvette any day. 1,200 kgs.

You can have one in top nick for £80,000 with that power and real shove from idle.

580 lbs-ft.

0-100 in 5 seconds.