Cars that were better, worse or as you expected

NeilMH

Exceeded -

350z - loved it, driving in Wales following a certain Mr Will370z is perhaps the most fun I have ever had with my trousers on, would still have it now if my legs were not fecked :(

XFS - thought I would be really disappointed after the Zed but it is awesome, munches the miles up in absolute luxury and goes like stink, also not too shabby in the twisties for a big old barge.

MX-5 - although I would be terminally crippled if I drove it for more than a couple of hours it is just so much fun to drive, can't wait to upgrade it soon to a 2l sport version, it actually Mary's but a I have to drive it now and again just to make sure it has a good blast ;)

Seat FR TDI - awesome little pocket rocket and currently being put through its paces by a certain Darren-B :group:

Met - Mazda6 Sport, my first car and I thought at the time was quick, comfy and handled well, now I have other cars to compare it to I would stand by that

Disappointed - Hyundai Coupe, lovely looking car but so slow and felt really badly put together, I honestly didn't feel safe pushing on in it and it wasn't even that quick :scare:

If I could afford it I would swap my XFS for an XFR but considering I only get 30mpg in a diesel I think I am better staying with the derv :surrender:

Edited by spursmaddave

The one that really disappointed me recently was the Z4 3.0 coupe. Love the look of it, fantastic engine, but the steering was awful and it tramlined so much! Might be better without the runflats but was just left disappointed with it as standard.

Was very impressed with the new Seat Leon, interior much improved and drove really well. Going to replace my girlfriends Audi A1 with one in the next few months.

Edited by zabba

Citroen Xantia DT: this didn't disappoint as it was as bad as I expected BMW 650 LCI: Really nice car with a thumping V8 but slower than I had expected. Vauxhall VX220: As stated before, non turbo and was amazing to drive. Cornered like a house fly. Could easily lose much faster cars round the twisties without really trying too hard. BMW 325i 2003 model: crap ride, crap acceleration, crap cornering. My dad drove it down the road while I watched. He took off with a lot of noise, gear changes, I looked away and looked back and he was still there, it was like he had never left. And this will not stop making the text more and more bold.

Edited by Rock_Steady

• 2 weeks later...

Honda Civic Type R EP3 - Very disappointing in performance, slow, quiet and needs working far too much for very little reward. A really big let down for a Type R.

Honda Integra Type R DC5 - Truly magnificent, hugely rewarding, extremely driver focused, very fast with incredible handling. Amazing looks, massive head turner, feels like a race car and close to if not the best car I have owned.

Odd, as both those cars have the same engine, gearbox, suspension and many other same parts.

Mad what a diff and proper steering does to a car hey !?!

Yeah but DC5 has wider track, different cams, different pistons, different inlet, different header, different exhaust, different steering (hydraulic on DC5 and electric on EP3), LSD on DC5, different brake calipers and discs, different gear ratios, different damping on the rear, different engine map, stiffer chassis, stiffer springs and a few other minor parts. Oh, and a different version of the K20a engine.

So, yeah, exactly the same :lol:

With that said i'd still argue theres not much in it between the performance of the two cars :stir:

BMW e46 330i - I test drove one before getting my 350z and I thought it would be awesome but it was horribly dull. It was nice and smooth but other than I didn't like it, this may have something to do with the fact I used to drive my mums e46 M3 which of course is savage. It was probably my own fault for going at the 330 with the wrong approach.

Nismo Juke, I hated the Juke at first and don't think I'd ever buy a standard one based on its looks but after looking for sonething abit different within budget we pulled the trigger on one.

It doesn't handle like a hot hatch but it does go like one and surprised me just how quick it is. It's very well put together and the interior is a nice place to be, everyone that's been in it has complimented it and changed their opinion of the Juke.