Recent Virus Warnings

Flex

Anyone doing anything different for virus protection or added precautions?

I've just had 87 evil looking emails through (never had more than 10 in one day) and they've all just blitzed my inbox.

Scary @*!#.

I'm running F secure and my domain provider is supposed to have screening in place for emails.

Nope, nothing different. I only check my E-Mails every month or so, unless of course I'm expecting something. Most of the junk goes into the spam box anyway and AOL are pretty good at diverting suspicious stuff there too. I always assume that if anyone important like the bank or doctor wants to contact me then they'll phone or write.

Pete

• Like 1

Nope, nothing different. I only check my E-Mails every month or so, unless of course I'm expecting something. Most of the junk goes into the spam box anyway and AOL are pretty good at diverting suspicious stuff there too. I always assume that if anyone important like the bank or doctor wants to contact me then they'll phone or write.

Pete

or vets I hope with all those cats you have Pete!

• Like 1

I work in the industry and its definitely getting worse.

160 thousand new bits of malware are now produced everyday. The criminals are now getting very clever too...take CryptoLocker for example.

I would definitely make sure you have a decent AV/firewall programme installed and up to date.

160 thousand new bits of malware are now produced everyday. The criminals are now getting very clever too...take CryptoLocker for example.

I would definitely make sure you have a decent AV/firewall programme installed and up to date.

can you recommend the best vs affordability ?

can you recommend the best vs affordability ?

I imagine there will be a lot of opinions on this so I will try to be impartial:

247705_1.png

Anything in the top right hand quadrant will be good :) I use McAfee total protection 2014 at present, £30 for 3 machines.

http://www.ebuyer.co...zUibPbRIrnw_wcB

You can get some for free and some which aren't as resource intensive but I believe the CPU/RAM is used up for a reason. So is therefore a good trade off for protection.

Edited by 370Ad
  • Like 1

I was listening to something about this on the radio yeterday. As I understand it the main target would be small businesses and they would have least protection, experience with IT and time to process e-mails. I understand its all still about attachment really. I get about 30 e-mails per day and dont touch anything unless its obvious what it is.

I have adequate protection in place so assume I should be ok.

Having said that I have about 50 courier deliveries to sort out and a fair amount of banking issues to resolve.

Happy to be told otherwise but I think I should be ok. :)

• Like 1

what next! its just taking me 7 days to get back on my ebay as I forgot all my security stuff, pretty scary really and I watched Die Hard 4.0 the other day which doesn't help :lol:

This is one of the reasons I stay away from internet banking everything just gets hacked

Edited by jumping350

If people didn't click things they shouldn't, like uninvited links and attachments, you'd never need virus protection really. Firewall is a must-have, but sensible people don't really need AV.

/controversial

What's a virus?

;)

Sent from my iMac

You havent heard the latest then, the new stuff can target Macs, scared the hell out of me. :lol:

I was just stirring, I take sensible precautions. Wipe clean keyboard, private browsing, antibacterial hand wipes....

• Like 2

I've just had an e mail with no heading or content and it purported to come from the past - 1970 to be precise. Someone said it might be something to do with how unix creates dates but I've no idea as I'm not technical. Should I be worried? I'm on my iPad so no AV software as such.

I've just had an e mail with no heading or content and it purported to come from the past - 1970 to be precise. Someone said it might be something to do with how unix creates dates but I've no idea as I'm not technical. Should I be worried? I'm on my iPad so no AV software as such.

Is the sender someone you know and trust?

If so, you very likely have nothing to worry about on iPad. Over 99% of mobile malware is android. Desktop malware is laregly Windows focused, but I don't know the % share, so you'd be more at risk if you opened it on your PC. If you decide to open it, you'd be very unwise to allow it any access it requests like Contacts or Safari, or dog forbid, allow it to install anything. Given the closed eco system on a non-jailbroken iPad you should be totally fine. The system is built with security in mind from the ground up, not as an after thought.

General good practice still stands. If the sender is no one you've ever heard of and is neither a mail you expect or a response to an email you've sent, I'd just bin it and empty the trash. If it's from someone important they'll re-attempt or contact you another way. Even if you do read the mail in iOS then, as above, you'd be extremely unlucky to be vulnerable to the <1%.

It goes without saying if it's an untrusted or unknown sender, never open any kind of attachment or view any movie or click any link, never reply, head straight to trash and then put the bins out. :)

If your iPad is jailbroken, good luck, it could be anything :surrender: