10years of driving and my first speeding ticket...

SkylineV35

Course is around £85 depending on where you live. You won't get any points or a fine just the fee for a course. The idea is that you do the course and it will have no effect on your insurance, you don't have to declare it. (Although some insurers cheekily ask and will put your premium up if you tell them)

You can only do the course once in a three year period and you only qualify if you didn't exceed a upper limit which can also vary where you live. For example with Sussex Police, if caught in a 60mph zone going up to 75mph then you can do the course, anything over then it's points/ban if massively exceeded. Only know all this as I was caught at 75 in a 60 last year :lol:

Edited by Jp606

Sussex police did me for 86 on the motorway and I didn't get offered the course, it was my first offence. I've been driving for 15 years.

Admittedly then did first catch me doing 106, but apparently I went under a bridge so the reading couldn't be used

My mates Mum of 70 got done for 32 in a 30 limit, in a speed trap with a radar gun,

first offence she had in 40 years..!! Still done her..!! :scare:

wow - that was harsh

• Like 1

I have done 2, you pay for the course instead of the fine (normally the same price) but get no points. It's well worth the 3 or 4 hours you have to attend for.

General rule for being offered the course is speed limit plus 10% plus 2mph, but some counties are more flexible.

After 14 years of driving I got caught a few weeks back. The Northumbria Police force offered me either £100 fine and 3 points or a speed awareness course for £84!

Can you guess which one I opted for :lol:

As above, if you opt for speed awareness course you have to pay for course which will be give or take a little the same cost. You have to spend approx four hours doing course but in return no points on license and no need to tell insurers -even if they ask as the offense has been dealt with.

You can only do one in three years - i got caught recently for second time in 2years and ten months so had no choice but to take points - even if in different police authority.

There seems to be some regional variations to qualify for speed awareness courses. I don't know the full details but North Wales police who have one of the strictest policies only allow SAC's to those caught in a 30 zone and the limit is just over 40 mph. I know someone doing 59 in a 50 zone who didn't get offered the course (first offense) and as far as I know North Wales has no fixed cameras in anything other than 30 zones. I believe that now and again they'll use a mobile camera on The EVO Triangle and will not offer an SAC to those caught speeding (from reading other forums). Other police forces could be different like Scotland where they don't have SAC's.

Pete

My wife got done in Ross-on-Wye being late for the last day of her job before being made redundant. Boy, was she happy. 37 in a 30, IIRC.

The course was £80 cf. a £100 fine and no points, and she came away from it thinking that the course itself was actually pretty good.

Been on two speed awareness courses in the past, I agree with the fact it is better than taking the points and cheaper, £80 in my area.

However the value of a speed awareness course is questionable, as I have noticed a negative affect on people's driving after being on one these courses and I truly believe that speeding is not the only thing that causes crashes, poor behaviour like tailgating, not taking effective observation, not concentrating and being angry do.

People need to stop speeding in stupid places.

And what deems "stupid" places? Obviously 30 limits and the likes - but where some might think "a little" over is okay here (empty B road - light traffic), may actually be a no-no to a police advanced driver (due previous statistics on road).

If you speed - then you take your chance on getting caught. I would say 90% of drivers speed at somepoint - and the other 10% are just as bad with crawling along well under the limit!!!

As for SAC - seems a no brainer too me. Wish I got offered it 4 years ago when i got done for 83 on the motorway......

People need to stop speeding in stupid places.

i agree and always slow in built up areas and villages

but when your on the open road and there sat in there little van now thats anoying :rant:

But sitting there in the "little van" generates the pennies :D

• Like 1

I define stupid as both a place and time that's inappropriate (like outside a school at 3pm), as well as just the location (on any road where the police are likely to sit; so motorways, open A-roads, B-roads that are notorious and have plenty of spots for them to site their cameras etc).

Any of those would be stupid places to speed.

Edited by Ekona