Why hasn't the 370z worked?

Level 7 Boss

Interesting read in parts, some of the "you only get 20 mpg" stuff baffles me on a big NA machine, what do people expect? :lol: I personally think they look sensational and if I can get away with 2 seats at the next purchase I'll be proceeding directly to 70, with a possible sniff around a Cayman on the way, unless the 2015 UK Mustang is particularly interesting in the flesh...

Hmm, nothing wrong with the 370 but it was kind of the wrong car at the wrong time. Nissan started this project when the 350 was selling well and continued with it despite a large fall off in 350Z sales in 2007/8, the worst recession since the 1930's and a massive hike in crude oil prices.

Pete

• Like 1

I've never seen a 370Z in the flesh. I've only ever seen one for sale here in Ireland. The tax is 2250 euro a year, otherwise I would have one :(. I'm not willing to pay that tax for anything other than a GTR.

tbh honest ive always thought the 350z engine, as much as i love it, was a bit of a black sheep

could have either gone for the traditional Japanese turbo engine like skylines or supras etc,

or had a big muscle engine

we kind of got neither

I'm considering part exing my 350 against one in the autumn if i can get a good deal.

I can't think of a better value used performance car.

IMO main reason it's hasn't been a successful as it's rivals is that many buyers would rather have better fuel economy and a German badge.

Good news for 2nd hand buyers though.

Hmm, nothing wrong with the 370 but it was kind of the wrong car at the wrong time. Nissan started this project when the 350 was selling well and continued with it despite a large fall off in 350Z sales in 2007/8, the worst recession since the 1930's and a massive hike in crude oil prices.

Pete

+1 the recession and tax hike hit all big engined cars

Pete

I agree. But you still see tons of late M3's, M5's, AMG's etc.

I think most buyers spending between £30k and £60k go for German cars.

Guess the 390z is around the corner. Needs to compete with the Toyota GT86 and have improved fuel economy. Goodbye large NA engine, hello smaller Turboed option. Big shame. As Clarkson said, CC's are better than smaller Turboed engines. For once he was right.

I see there is a guy on page 13 claiming to have gone from 326 to 370bhp with a few mods. Must know something the rest of us don't to have made those gains........or he's talking out of his bottom ;)

The weird thing I find about the 370 is that while you can't deny it's not been a success in terms of sales, they always seem to generate very positive reactions when people actually see them. There's a new Cayman, two TTs and a nice black GT86 in our little road and I swear to you that the Z is invariably the car that people stop to look at (and take a photo of in the case of one guy last week).

Pete

As Kev says, recession took its toll on sales and let's face it with family's making cut backs the 'luxury' of buying sports car was off the agenda. Yes, sales of 4 seater cars suffered too, even the luxury wagons like M3s, M5s, AMGs and the like but then those able to afford those (or their companies) were generally less affected by the cut backs others with less income had to make, IMO.

Pete

I agree that is probably badge snobbery and the fact that 4 seats appeal to a wider market

And let's be honest .. To most people a BMW or merc is a safer proposition than a nissan, they have a better rep in the sports/prestige market

As Pete says, the 370 is not a bad car just the wrong car for that time, I like the fact that it's a rare sight

Without figures it's difficult to say if all manufacturers were hit proportionally the same by the recession in the larger engined market

Edited by GIXXERUK

Its a bit of a dead sector I think, you only have to look at the almost non existent competition to see it - a GT86 is not in the same league performance (or economy) wise and Boxsters and Caymans are a bit more money - direct rivals like the Z4 dont seem to sell so well either.

• Like 1

bloody hell that threads from 3 years ago although very different cars but when i was a seat i noticed a trend

in 2007 most shipments of the car to the dealer had a a cupra ibiza/leon every time maybe 2-3

by middle 2008 the Diesel Fr version were selling well

in the last few yearsr i was with them 2009-2011 i only ever saw 1 ibiza cupra and a new at the time leon cupra R come in both were demos and both still with the dealer when i left

every other cars was an ecomotive

The next generation of Zed will be a lower CC and turbo/hybrid - the power coming out of these cars now is phenomenal. As for the 'drive' I was very much opposed to turbo cars, but having driven one now for a few months, it is a different drive but still every bit as exciting. I dont feel like I am missing out by being 1 litre down on engine capacity.

It's gotta be the cost of fuel and tax I think which has the biggest effect.

And if you're going to start dropping the sort of figures needed to keep the 370Z on the road you'd probably rather do it for a more illustrious badge, a Porsche maybe.

I did my research and understood what I was getting into regards running costs and was happy to splash for that sort of car, I just couldn't afford the machine I really wanted to spend it on, so took a cheaper route and got the Nissan.

It still gave me what I wanted and it's not like I'm a better driver than the Nissan offers me, so why not, it's all good fun.

The benefit I suppose if there is one, is that it's a more unique/rare car because of it.

Most new cars are now bought on monthly payments so it makes expensive cars more affordable. Why spend 400 a month on a Nissan when 450 will get you a porsche?!

http://www.pistonhea...sp?c=16&i=29899

The above articles states that the F Type now outsells GT86's in the UK....this shows that people have the money when they want something badly enough.

Edited by 370Ad

I don't think there is actually anything wrong with the 370z but I see two problems with it. First is its the wrong car in the wrong place at the wrong time. The price of fuel, tax, recession, political green agenda, lack of money in everyone pocket has made people more cautious and sensible on how they spend their money. The second issue is the competition has been too tough, the likes of BMW, Audi, Porsche were producing cars which were faster, cheaper and more economical. Given the economical situation and this crazy obsession of being seen in an Audi, the 370z was certaining up against the ropes.

If none of the above affected you or bothered you, then as a car, the 370z is perfect. I know I would have one and will consider it at some point in the future.

• Like 2

One of the problems with the car is people don't actually know it exists. People think mine is a 350Z, they don't know about the 370Z and the fact it is almost a completely new car to the 350Z. I don't ever remember seeing a 370Z advert, and unless I actually went looking for one, given the cars rarity, I wouldn't know about it either. Nissan did a terrible job marketing it.

20mpg is a stick that beats the 370Z a lot. Economy isn't that bad, (I average 30ish driving normal on a run, and 20 driving spirited on an A or B road, only absolutely ragging it sees economy under 20mpg) and on a par with cars of similar performance.... which oddly don't get beaten with the economy stick.

I dunno, it's a great car - Looks different, handles good, performance is good, fuel economy Vs performance is decent, is still raw enough to be fun - but refined enough to use daily.... I chose it over many things, most reviews love it bar the badge snob columnists that hate everything not German.

Edited by AJRFulton

If you are going to spend a fairly sizable amount of money on a car - you probably are more interested in showing it off, unfortunately Nissan just doesn't carry that kudos. Even with the GT-R out there. I don't think its badge snobbery completely, competitive cars are equally good, sometimes better. But I would guess if you are buying a budget sports car and its an aspirational car, you have the option of an M badge BMW, a Porsche or a Nissan - its always a hard sell pushing aside those to take the Nissan.