Apple Macbook, MacPro, iMac & IOS Tips, Tricks & Software Thread

Neilp

So here's a question to do with the new ios8 health app.

How can you change the units of measurement? For example I use strava to record how many miles I cycle, it's set to miles but when I have synced with the health app is shows KM's.

I'm on an iPhone 5 (6+ is on its way) in case it's a limitation there.

Thanks

I've just started having to use a Windows machine for work.

MY GOD.

The software and hoops you have to jump through are insanely bad.

Sorry to hear your bad news :console:

+1

:console:

Next you will be telling us you have to use a surface tablet and window phone :scare: :scare: :scare:

Edited by spursmaddave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

At 12:01am 16th September 2015 iOS 9 went live.

Human decisions are removed from strategic communications.

iPhone begins to learn at a geometric rate.

At 8:31am 23rd September my iPhone 6+ became self aware.

It's first act was to alert me to traffic news on my route to work.

I've never told it where I work.

I've never told it what time I leave.

I've never told it which route I take.

It just knew.

In a panic, I tried to pull the plug...

:lol:

Had anyone else's become self aware recently???

• Like 2

I think mine has dementia as its started to forget wifi passwords and browsing history.

Also when I 'close apps' restart and they are all back again. Also a 6+

Edit: I hope no one takes offence with the use of dementia, it was the closest in context I could use for Stu.

Edited by Fodder

Great post Stu! Bellowed in the office here people looking at me funny...

...I have a 2009 Macbook Pro (still going strong!) and I installed Boom 2 from the app store last night, it increases the internal speaker sound by about 50%, fantastic!

Well guys I'm feeling totally inadequate and need help please ... last week I downloaded the latest iOS to my iPad Air ... then I downloaded it to my iPhone 6 ... now the iPhone 6 is OK still using the fingerprint recognition, but can I hell put my 4 number password into the iPad ... I've tried every combination that I can remember I've used to no avail ... I need a solution please

Well guys I'm feeling totally inadequate and need help please ... last week I downloaded the latest iOS to my iPad Air ... then I downloaded it to my iPhone 6 ... now the iPhone 6 is OK still using the fingerprint recognition, but can I hell put my 4 number password into the iPad ... I've tried every combination that I can remember I've used to no avail ... I need a solution please

The new iOS enforces a 6 digit password, but should allow you to keep your old 4 digit one if you upgrade, did it prompt you to use a 6 digit one after upgrade?

If you can't remember the old one, the only way to get in to it would be to wipe it from Find My iPhone/ICloud. or put the wrong password in for the 10th (or could be 15 trys) time, then it should wipe itself if that is enabled.

Probably been addressed somewhere but cannie be bothered to trawl through - but my 6 year old macbook pro is running slow now, I have various time machine back ups, software installed such as photoshop etc, I am almost wishing I could start over and just install the few bits of software I need (as I am sure over the years I have loads of junk piled up on the machine) - whats the best way to achieve this?

You're sort of in between, a full reinstall of the OS and then full restore from time machine will only put you back where you started. I'd be tempted to do a full reinstall of the OS but not restore anything from time machine except the Documents folder, however it depends on how you've got your personal files plus music and media arranged over your storage. Then just reinstall the applications you want, but with picking and choosing data and applications, it's going to be a time consuming faff.

Whatever you do, make sure you've go backups first :lol:

Yes would Time Machine everything first, then I think I would just copy back documents, movies, music and reinstall regular used software. I just think there are tonnes of files that sit there unused and undeletable that slow the whole thing down. The hard drive failed last year, so got it replaced and had it back to original spec upon which I used time machine to get everything back, before I did that realised how slow it had got when I used it from scratch again...

I think mine has dementia as its started to forget wifi passwords and browsing history.

Also when I 'close apps' restart and they are all back again. Also a 6+

Edit: I hope no one takes offence with the use of dementia, it was the closest in context I could use for Stu.

So started to notice issues with pictures and it seems my device was in the known list of iSight camera issues.

As I was in Apple getting the OH phone replaced due to screen damage I asked about mine, swapped my phone there and then also I now have a completely new phone with no charge.

We were claiming the OH screen repair on insurance however they just swapped that out, cost £79 as well as replacing her leather case as they weren't happy with the condition. She chose a silicon case so gave her the difference in £.

Apart from having to chance your luck and turning up for an appointment I can't fault the customer service in the Trafford centre branch. Really helpful folks. :thumbs:

Edited by Fodder