Apple Macbook, MacPro, iMac & IOS Tips, Tricks & Software Thread

Neilp

Does anybody have any recommendations for useful software? I think I should buy microsoft office for the mac, it would save me a lot of hassle as I'd be able to do my work spreadsheets etc and just email them to the innevitably slowing work laptop.

Don't be fooled in to thinking that Office for MAC is just like the Windows version . . . its not !! Does not have as many features, and is generally not as good.

I would stick with Pages. Numbers and Keynote (free on all new MAC's)

If you really have to run Windows applications then install a VM, I use VMware Fusion and run a 8.1 Pro machine from it. Has some good integration features which can run the Win applications in MAC windows.

• Like 1

Does anybody have any recommendations for useful software? I think I should buy microsoft office for the mac, it would save me a lot of hassle as I'd be able to do my work spreadsheets etc and just email them to the innevitably slowing work laptop.

Don't be fooled in to thinking that Office for MAC is just like the Windows version . . . its not !! Does not have as many features, and is generally not as good.

I would stick with Pages. Numbers and Keynote (free on all new MAC's)

If you really have to run Windows applications then install a VM, I use VMware Fusion and run a 8.1 Pro machine from it. Has some good integration features which can run the Win applications in MAC windows.

Cheers mate, yep I have all that software on my MBP. Its really excel that I use the most.

I got this a few months back https://agilebits.com/onepassword

ok, so its not the cheapest App and you have to purchase both the iOS and OSX versions to sync between all your devices, but that being said its very good. I sync my encrypted backup to iCloud, so the locker is available on all my devices. Update a password on your MAC and it will update it on your iPad for example.

Might be a good idea to add to the list, then copy and paste

001 - When taking a picture (with the iPhone) press and hold the volume buttons for a burst mode

002 - The iPad Air needs a 12w mains power adapter, whereas the iPhone 5S only requires a 5w

003 - If you have a mac and an iPad you can use the iPad as a secondary screen for it by downloading the air display app

004 - Reflector is a good Mirroring App http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/ if you need to show your iOS device on a screen/projector

005 - Also for those of you who want some extra storage but with out carrying a spare drive about . . check this out http://theniftyminidrive.com

006 - another great one is splash top streamer, you buy the app on the device you want to stream too i.e. an iPad then run the free streamer on your mac

007 - I can be at work and connect to my NAS drive at home and play music via 4G. One of the reasons I thought it silly to pay for more than a 16GB iPhone, I have a 4TB iPhone :teeth:

008 - Microsoft office is now available on Mac, You can also run windows on MBP if you require it

009 - MS office and Adobe etc are now available for mac

010 - I found this after a quick search https://itunes.apple...d469337564?mt=8

011 - I would stick with Pages. Numbers and Keynote (free on all new MAC's)

012 - If you really have to run Windows applications then install a VM, I use VMware Fusion and run a 8.1 Pro machine from it. Has some good integration features which can run the Win applications in MAC windows

013 - Logitech do a blue-tooth keyboard for iPad ... works fine and acts as a cover and a stand for the IPa

014 - I use a speck hardshell case on the MBP and then have a G-Form sleeve for when I take it out of home http://g-form.com/pr...ve-for-laptops/

015 - There's an App called PDF Expert which allows you to store all your *.pdfs in folders ... I use it to store drawings, specs, minutes etc. so I have access to my stuff when on sit

016 - have this for when I am travelling. Decent padding and protection. Plus its really soft & furry in the inside http://goincase.com/...-macbook-pro-15

017 - I got this a few months back https://agilebits.com/onepassword

018 -

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

Are the iPhone 5S and iPad Air mains charger plugs interchangeable ? ... the ones I have are totally different (iPhone is smaller)

No. The iPad Air needs a 12w mains power adapter, whereas the iPhone 5S only requires a 5w. The smaller adapter you got with the iPhone is only rated at 5w :)

Nice one Jonathan, hope you'll stick around with more useful info :thumbs:

No problem Graham :)

Im trying to think of things which I deal with everyday in work, so here are some which spring to mind at the moment...

- The £60 Superdrive has been mentioned... but I am yet to find a Windows orientated optical drive that doesn't work with a Mac (including the £12 specials on eBay :lol:

- McAfee Live Safe causes all sorts of problems (in particular with Airplay) and isn't needed, so steer clear!

- Double tap the Fn key (bottom left of the keyboard) and you can dictate rather than type, and it works pretty good.

- If you want to attach files to an email, just drag them down to the Mail icon and a new email will be created with them attached.

- You can take a picture of your signature using the webcam and add it into a PDF to digitally sign documents; open up a PDF in Preview by double clicking it, then the button that looks like a pen in a square, then "sig"

- If you click a document/pic/video once, then hit space, and it will give you a quick view of that file, so a lot faster than opening the file fully.

Apologies if everyone knows all of these already, but maybe someone learned something :lol:

• Like 1

Are the iPhone 5S and iPad Air mains charger plugs interchangeable ? ... the ones I have are totally different (iPhone is smaller)

No. The iPad Air needs a 12w mains power adapter, whereas the iPhone 5S only requires a 5w. The smaller adapter you got with the iPhone is only rated at 5w :)

Im trying to think of things which I deal with everyday in work, so here are some which spring to mind at the moment...

- The £60 Superdrive has been mentioned... but I am yet to find a Windows orientated optical drive that doesn't work with a Mac (including the £12 specials on eBay :lol:

- McAfee Live Safe causes all sorts of problems (in particular with Airplay) and isn't needed, so steer clear!

- Double tap the Fn key (bottom left of the keyboard) and you can dictate rather than type, and it works pretty good.

- If you want to attach files to an email, just drag them down to the Mail icon and a new email will be created with them attached.

- You can take a picture of your signature using the webcam and add it into a PDF to digitally sign documents; open up a PDF in Preview by double clicking it, then the button that looks like a pen in a square, then "sig"

- If you click a document/pic/video once, then hit space, and it will give you a quick view of that file, so a lot faster than opening the file fully.

Apologies if everyone knows all of these already, but maybe someone learned something :lol:

Do you have the app script for this or the automator setup for this?

I think the 2008 mbp is on it's last legs, had to change the optical drive today and the fans are making weird noises too. :surrender:

Strange how things happen when you need to convince yourself about buying a new one. :p

Mind you 2008 to 2014 is good going so you deserve a new one. :)

Just tell Joy Chris said so..... :lol: :lol:

Do you have the app script for this or the automator setup for this?

Nope, sorry mate.

ok, so its not the cheapest App and you have to purchase both the iOS and OSX versions to sync between all your devices, but that being said its very good. I sync my encrypted backup to iCloud, so the locker is available on all my devices. Update a password on your MAC and it will update it on your iPad for example.

Does this take much setting up Jimbo?

Does this take much setting up Jimbo?

No, its really easy. there is also a browser plugin that imports to the software. One of my External HD's is encrypted, it even pick up that. There are lots of categories preset or you can create your own. The generator is also good. MY FB password if like 24 characters, just assign it and away you go, available on all devices.

Aaaaaaaaaaaady!!!!! I'm going to Canada in July on holiday and am thinking about buying a 15" retina macbookpro to replace my ageing 2008 macbookpro as I can save the best part of £600 with the exchange rate as it is. Now here's the rub:- I've just read that this model is not upgradeable in terms of ram and ssd!!

1. Is this true?

2. Should I spend another £325 to double the ram to 16gb and the ssd to 512 or stick with the lower spec, I'd be interested to know what those who have either model what you think?

The RAM is soldered but pretty sure the SSD is upgradable.

I always go for the top spec possible, it makes the laptop more usable in the long term.

I went from a 08 MacBookPro to a 013 Retina MacBookPro, all I can say is wow. In nearly 15 years of using/upgrading computers I've never seen such a performance jump, and can honestly say the Retina MacBookPro is by far the best computer I've ever used. My only wish is that I went for the 756-1terbyte SSD upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks buddy, it's the RAM that concerns more than the SSD capacity as I envisage keeping this one for at least 3 years and don't want it to become obsolescent by not being able to keep up with software demands made on the RAM. I've got until July to make my mind up, if I'm lucky there'll be an offer or discount of some kind before then.