Apple Macbook, MacPro, iMac & IOS Tips, Tricks & Software Thread

Neilp

Gooooood loord, you're moving fast, just catching up with the thread.

Papa, go for largest memory available, it's soldered onto the logical board. You can potentially upgrade your SSD, but I guess that might void the warranty.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

I strongly suggest getting the Apple Care extended warranty, well worth it, but buy separate from Amazon or eBay as you can find it half price. It recently happened to me, my MacBook Pro has memory and battery problems and to fix it they need to change the logic board plus the top case because the battery is built into the top case. Total cost if I wouldn't have had warranty was £623, see bellow:

2014-04-28_09-21-48.jpeg

• Like 1

I honestly think 16gig of ram will be fine. Processor power has really stopped developing, new applications aren't anywhere near as processor demanding as before, add onto this the fact SSD hard drives are so fast 'virtual' memory is not a problem compared for the old days.

As for Apples build quality....Back in the day Apple products just didn't break, but in the last decade things have changed. However if it's a major issue that affects lots of Amercians sooner/latter Apple will launch a 'free' repair program. Like they did for the failing GPUs in 08 MacBookPros, or more recently the replacement program for iPhone 5s with stuck power button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone help me, i work in IT so i should know how to fix this but its killing me here lol. I'm building a macbook Pro for a user (brand new) i've set it all up fine but the user wants Bootcamp with win7 64 bit. which i have followed everything to get it going, i can now get as far as the windows language select to install but the mouse and keyboard will not pick up, i installed the support for windows but still nothing :/ i'm baffed, i've searched loads about it and all i get is issues once its installed.

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone help me, i work in IT so i should know how to fix this but its killing me here lol. I'm building a macbook Pro for a user (brand new) i've set it all up fine but the user wants Bootcamp with win7 64 bit. which i have followed everything to get it going, i can now get as far as the windows language select to install but the mouse and keyboard will not pick up, i installed the support for windows but still nothing :/ i'm baffed, i've searched loads about it and all i get is issues once its installed.

Thanks in advance!

PM octet

Apple Fanboy was fed up with Windows

Ipad Air (128Gb Cellular)

Ipad 3rd Gen (64Gb Cellular) (now Kids)

Mac Mini

Mackbook Air (256Gb)

Ipod Touch

Iphone 5s (work)

Airport Express

Apple TV

Anyone have any questions let me know

We've wasted god knows how much £££ on Macs over the last few years...Just on Mac CPUs we had

MacPlus,

Mac Performa

PowerMac 7100

PowerBook 1400

iMac (original)

PowerBook G3 (Psimo)

G4 tower

G5 tower

MacPro (2.1)

MacBookPro 08

MacBook Air (rev 2)

Retina MacBook Pro

Currently trying to persuade my wife we need the new MacPro...but as much as I lover Apple computers even I cannot justify spending £2.5k on the most basic model (13 gig of ram and only 256gig hard drive) without a screen :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been following this thread with interest with a view to moving fully to apple devices (I only have a ipad3 atm) as what they do looks great.......but some of the latest posts about the build quality are a bit disconcerting (given they are not cheap in comparison) and for someone who is not as IT savvy as I can many on here are, I'm now wondering if the move is still the way forward?

I kind of sort of fell into Mac's, I needed a new laptop but wanted a desktop, always wanted a Mac but thought they were too much £££.

My mate is a Prof at Norwich Uni and gets a good discount so off we trundled down to Apple a few years ago and I got an iMac.

Now, a few years later I have;

2011 iMac

2012 MBP

iPad 3

Iphone 5

Apple TV 3

They all work very well are built to a huge standard and I'm happy with them.

Apple TV is massively under used by myself but is good for the occasional AirPlay event.

Anyway, most of the stuff that I knew has been covered off already but I have these two items for my iMac and MBP that are just great.

Bose Companion Speakers for iMac

0210b8%7Ceab8_front.jpg

These are the absolute business, they give massive depth with sharp clear highs, bass biased speakers from the off mind but really turn the iMac into a proper multimedia system now with this sound upgrade, plus - the little remote wheel is absolute class. All made from high end materials and all pieces have a significant weight to them which is always a good sign.

Also has a headphone 3.5mm jack and a line in jack too on the remote wheel, which is handy.

http://store.apple.c...55756b9bb9f0348

Incase 13" MBP bag

Incase-Sling-Sleeve-Deluxe-for-MacBook-Air-Pro_6.jpg

This is very good also, although I have the light grey and royal blue trim version which appears to be discontinued now, this is exactly the same. Specially made for the MBP and all of its features I can't image anything better than this for carrying about your MBP, I sometimes have to use my MBP for work so this is essential for all your work stuff, only thing it doesn't do is carry the plug charger very well, it goes very bulky and strained if you squeeze the power pack into it, which is a shame.

http://store.apple.c...acbook?fnode=50

This is actually my one, at my feet now, in the office.

7D43EF42-6F7F-4668-99F1-FD3DF08227F7.jpg

Where as I have to agree that stuff is expensive, it is very good, so where I had to initially lay out £200 for external speakers, I won't have to buy another set for a long time - potentially.

How to calibrate iPhone, iPad and iPod battery:

Step 1: First and foremost, you will need to run your device’s battery down to zero. And by that, we mean that your device runs completely out of juice and powers down on its own.

Step 2: Next, you’ll need to charge your device’s battery all the way up to the 100% mark.

Step 3: Once you’ve reached the magic 100, leave your device on charge for another hour before unplugging it.

Step 4: Use your device as normal, letting it drain down to zero. Ensure you do not charge at any time.

Step 5: As with steps 2 and 3, you’ll need to charge up to 100% again, and leave it charging for a further hour once it’s full.

Step 6: That’s it – your device’s battery is now calibrated.

I pretty much always run my battery down to nothing before I charge it, unless I am out and about and will need it.

Never had issues with battery life, my mate has terrible issues with his but he constantly has it on charge, I have told him not to but he doesn't listen :headhurt:

Sent from the golf club...

I pretty much always run my battery down to nothing before I charge it, unless I am out and about and will need it.

Never had issues with battery life, my mate has terrible issues with his but he constantly has it on charge, I have told him not to but he doesn't listen :headhurt:

Yeah, these are supposed to be Lithium plus batteries or something I think that are supposed to recognise when they're fully charged and stop drawing power, although I'm not convinced or rather I'm not comfortable with leaving something thats designed to be mobile on constant charge.

I charge mine when it's as low as I can get it without it ever running completely out, I must have read somewhere or had something that said if it runs completely out it is to the detriment of the batteries long term life/capacity. I always try to charge it completely then before I remove it.

I use my full 100% every weekday, easy.

That being said, I do have a long busy day, I'm on the train into London at 6:45AM and reading the news/Twitter/etc... straight away, plus I'm in a group chat with the lads that probably averages about 300 messages a day by the time I'm home and sat down it's about 6:30PM and I'll be into my last 20% for sure.

Anyone else use yoink on OSX?

http://www.eternalstorms.at/yoink/Yoink_-_Draggings_a_drag_no_more/Yoink_-_Draggings_a_drag_no_more%21.html

It pops out a little "shelf" from the side of the screen when you're dragging and dropping stuff around, so you don't need multiple windows open. You drag the item(s), the shelf appears, drop it on the shelf, go and do some stuff, then drag it off the shelf and drop it in the new location.

It's not a life changer, just really, really handy.

---------------------

Bit of backstory, I've been a fan since I first laid my hands on a Macintosh Classic II, back in the day. It was sooo far ahead of anything else I'd seen back then. Now on a 27" iMac (late 2011) i7 @ 3.4 GHz, 16GB and modded it with an OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD. I love it, it's as quick today as the day I bought it and it's never so much as lost a byte of data in 3 years. I can't say that about any other computer I've owned, on top of that if I have to use Windowz for something, I've found VMWare runs Windows 7 better than most PCs I encounter in my daily working life :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed this thread hasn't been updated recently.

I'm having an issue which seems to be quite common. When using FaceTime, there person i'm talking to can hear themselves talking via a feedback to there device, as though my mac mic is picking up their voice. I've search online and tried reinstalling 10.9.3 however this did not solve the issue. Anybody else having this issue with MBP?