Apple Macbook, MacPro, iMac & IOS Tips, Tricks & Software Thread

Neilp

I don't use the cloud either Neil, but just get a NAS drive and plug it into your network much quicker / easier / cheaper than burning discs these days...

When using a NAS drive, can this be connected to remotely and securely?

I don't use the cloud either Neil, but just get a NAS drive and plug it into your network much quicker / easier / cheaper than burning discs these days...

When using a NAS drive, can this be connected to remotely and securely?

Yep, for instance I can be at work and connect to my NAS drive at home and play music via 4G. One of the reasons I thought it silly to pay for more than a 16GB iPhone, I have a 4TB iPhone :teeth: *

* when I have 3G/4G or WIFI connection :lol:

• Like 1

I got one of these Neil http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/goflex-home/

Has USB so you can daisy chain another HD to it, you can also get bases that hold multiple drives if you need it. Very simple to set up, just create your own network with passwords etc, download the app to your phone or device and away you go. It appears as an available drive on my Mac/PC/Smart TV and I can access it via an app on the iPhone and iPad B)

Plenty of other makes available too

Aaaaaaaaaaaady!!!!! I'm going to Canada in July on holiday and am thinking about buying a 15" retina macbookpro to replace my ageing 2008 macbookpro as I can save the best part of £600 with the exchange rate as it is. Now here's the rub:- I've just read that this model is not upgradeable in terms of ram and ssd!!

1. Is this true?

2. Should I spend another £325 to double the ram to 16gb and the ssd to 512 or stick with the lower spec, I'd be interested to know what those who have either model what you think?

There will be unofficial upgrades in time I am 99.9% sure of it just like with the Air....

But for now maybe keep the 2008 MBP and get an iPad :shrug:

I think the 2008 mbp is on it's last legs, had to change the optical drive today and the fans are making weird noises too. :surrender:

Aaaaaaaaaaaady!!!!! I'm going to Canada in July on holiday and am thinking about buying a 15" retina macbookpro to replace my ageing 2008 macbookpro as I can save the best part of £600 with the exchange rate as it is. Now here's the rub:- I've just read that this model is not upgradeable in terms of ram and ssd!!

1. Is this true?

2. Should I spend another £325 to double the ram to 16gb and the ssd to 512 or stick with the lower spec, I'd be interested to know what those who have either model what you think?

There will be unofficial upgrades in time I am 99.9% sure of it just like with the Air....

But for now maybe keep the 2008 MBP and get an iPad :shrug:

I think the 2008 mbp is on it's last legs, had to change the optical drive today and the fans are making weird noises too. :surrender:

Well you might have to just bit the bullet and spec the 16gb and biggest SSD then.... still a bargain with the exchange rate, shame they are not upgradeable although I reckon there will be options sooner or later surely

At present I have an ipad 4, ipad mini, ipod touch. I also have a Packard bell netbook for Uni work and I have a Samsung galaxy s4 mobile.

I don't really use any of my gadgets for anything fancy but id really prefer the simplicity of my Apple products and I absolutely hate windows.

I am currently thinking about changing my netbook for an apple laptop just for uni work, any suggestions?

I need to be able to use Microsoft office and adobe reader.

Dave, I had a look online and i'm thinking about going for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STCG3000200-Central-Wireless-Drive/dp/B00BP5RJRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398602558&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+central+3tb

It seems to be getting decent reviews.

Stuarty- Microsoft office is now available on Mac, You can also run windows on MBP if you require it.

Do any of you guys run Parallels for MS applications or do you use the Mac equivalent such as Numbers, or do you use OpenOffice ?

MS office and Adobe etc are now available for mac. I haven't installed windows on my mac as I don't see the need or benefit from it. I have a windows netbook/work laptop that I can use for windows if need be.

My mac is only really for doing photography and music production on tbh. Im now never off it though and regularly sit looking at nothing just to be using it :lol:

Does anybody have any recommendations for useful software? I think I should buy microsoft office for the mac, it would save me a lot of hassle as I'd be able to do my work spreadsheets etc and just email them to the innevitably slowing work laptop.

Dave, I had a look online and i'm thinking about going for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STCG3000200-Central-Wireless-Drive/dp/B00BP5RJRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398602558&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+central+3tb

It seems to be getting decent reviews.

Stuarty- Microsoft office is now available on Mac, You can also run windows on MBP if you require it.

I usually only use word and excel Neil. What I love about my iPad's is that i pick them up and use them and now and again press a few buttons to update.

But when i go to use my netbook it's really slow until it runs all the updates, security checks etc. it even takes ages to connect to my wifi each time i turn it on.

I just want a laptop i can turn on, use to surf the web and do some word processing, excel etc without all the hastle.

I gave my sister my ipad 2 and bought a samsung tablet last year. After 2 days i took the samsung tablet back to Tesco's and bought an ipad 4 and iPad mini. TBH i cant tell the difference between my old ipad 2 and new ipad 4 but that's what i like about them, there subtle updates. But the hardcore would notice the difference between screens etc.

Do any of you guys run Parallels for MS applications or do you use the Mac equivalent such as Numbers, or do you use OpenOffice ?

MS office and Adobe etc are now available for mac. I haven't installed windows on my mac as I don't see the need or benefit from it. I have a windows netbook/work laptop that I can use for windows if need be.

My mac is only really for doing photography and music production on tbh. Im now never off it though and regularly sit looking at nothing just to be using it :lol:

Is the Microsoft office and adobe an app. I couldn't open certain adobe files. I down loaded a free Adobe app from i store and it opens all my Adobe docs from Uni. Just need word and excell and I'm sorted!

Someone told me that I could buy a keyboard for my ipad 4 and use it with word?

I think you can buy a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad. Its not something I use with our iPad. The iPad 3 and iPad 4, i'm sure the only difference is the power plug was changed to the small one on the iPhone 5.

I'm not sure if all the acrobat reader stuff works on iPad.

I found this after a quick search https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/adobe-reader/id469337564?mt=8

If you're wanting something small and powerful, possibly the MBP 13" retina would be a good choice. The macbook air is also pretty good for most stuff. The MBP retina 15" that I have is probs overkill for what you want.

The good thing about mac is you open it up and its running with 10 secs

• Like 1

I think you can buy a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad. Its not something I use with our iPad. The iPad 3 and iPad 4, i'm sure the only difference is the power plug was changed to the small one on the iPhone 5.

I'm not sure if all the acrobat reader stuff works on iPad.

I found this after a quick search https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/adobe-reader/id469337564?mt=8

Yeah that the app i have Neip. 90% of my uni Adobe files open on my ipad but the few that don't give me the option to use that app and when i accept it opens everything and saves it!