i want a zed so bad.,...(please advise)

Hi guys

just wanted to ask something i will be buying a zed in about a month time (need to sell my car) i went through all the guides and kind of know what to look for when buying one but i just wondered, there isnt much info about certain mileages o this car, as in what needs to be done, i know about clutch at around 40 k but i think i will be looking a t a zed with around 100k on the clock (unless i can get any lower fro my budget). Are there any things that you have to check on the car with this mileage? things that would have to be replaced by then? 100k isnt alot for zeds is it? i just want to know what i am getting myself into if you gonna tell me that at this stage car needs engine rebuilt id like to know how much more id need to spend :)

Thanks

If it's been fully serviced 100k is nowt, mines on 108k and feels solid.

At 100k I'd check to see when the clutch was last done, other than that look at the buying guide on here.

Good luck with the search. don't rush, plenty around.

At 100k the aerial will have worn out and should be replaced with a stubby ASAP if it hasn't already.

:sorry::welcome: to the forum. I'm sure your question will be answered more considerately soon. The cars are strong, take your time and find one that's been cherished.

If you've painted yourself into a corner and figured you'll only be looking at 100k +cars, what's your expected budget?

As long as the engine has been looked after/serviced regularly you should be fine. Replaced my clutch last month, it looked to be the standard one but cannot be 100%. It as covered 95k miles and it was knackered! so check for that on high miler cars. Other than that you should be good to go.

Oh, and welcome in :)

No offence but it sounds like your desire for a Z may be clouding judgement, if your budget will only allow a high miller maybe you should consider saving a little extra and waiting to be able to afford it a little more comfortably?

Really not trying to sound nasty hear but I've made the mistake of buying a car at the top of my budget before and it's not nice if things go wrong and you haven't allowed any spare cash for repairs etc.

I may well be completely mistaken and I appologise if that is the case, good luck finding a Z :teeth:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. :welcome:

This is something useful to know if you don't already; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/31110-service-schedule-for-a-350z/

Learn it and that way when you look at Zeds for sale you will have a good idea of what should have been done to them by then depending on mileage/year. If it's a high miler just make sure it has a FSH regardless of whether it's a main dealer FSH just as long as there are bills/receipts for everything done. :thumbs:

Buying a high mileage V engined car should not be a concern. A high-miler will probably be a motorway cruiser. That is less stressful on the car than town driving in many ways, and also on the all important gearbox.

Speaking from experience, I'm on 160K and the same clutch has been on for about the last 100K and it's fine. Even so if buying high miler I'd say have £1 - 1.5K in the bank for a clutch and the other bits and bobs that you discover you need, but that's the same for any Z really. Either that or be prepared to fix all the niggles over a longer period. Don't forget many replacement parts can be bought as second hand.

Apart from brakes (which also don't wear out fast on a motorway miler) and the usual tyres and service parts, new parts I have replaced are 3 wheel bearings so listen for grumbles and rumbles when going round a corner. A little transmission whine is normal even on low mileage cars so take that in your stride, but whines from the gearbox are not so good.

Most other major bits I changed were because I wanted after-market parts, not because they needed to be changed.

I've also replaced a few suspension parts and bushes but its never been anything that expensive. But drive the car slowly on the roughest road you can find and listen for a drumming sound someone described best as like a piece of plywood flapping against the floor. This could be the banana arm which doesn't have to be replaced - i.e. it's not dangerous - but its is a loud and annoying noise. On any Z it's worth checking for as I think it is about £300 to replace (does someone have a more accurate price) which isn't great if both sides need doing.

Exhaust flex-pipes may be knackered so have a look underneath when the engine is running and you should be able to feel any blowing (if your arms are a decent length).

Check the o/s rear tyre. It will be the one with the most wear and will dictate when you need to buy more tyres so is a bargaining point.

You want two keys. If not then £100 discount should be asked for as they are not cheap.

The judgement to make is how many owners it has had, how many bills and service stamps they have and basically if it looks like they loved it.

Ideally buy one from a forum member who has been around for a while so you can have a little more trust that it's a good car.

Edited by Toon Chris

Wow I didnt exexpect such a great response. Thanks alot guys I read everything and definitely got a better idea of what to expect. Btw is flywheel replacement a common thing?

With regards to my budget I am selling my car for £5500 so I would put all in hence im thinking only higher mileage car. But seen some 70k ones in this range aswell so just want to make sure I knoe how much it will cost me in 10k and stuff

Welcome to the forum mate!

My car has 118,000 on the clock and runs perfectly. It also has no evidence of a clutch change but that too feels solid with no slipping.

These are nice big V6 lumps and won't fall apart at 60,000 miles. Just check the car has been serviced properly and is in good condition and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Btw is flywheel replacement a common thing?

Yes, chances are that the dual-mass flywheel will be on the way out. If not then sods law says it will give up not long after you change the clutch. Get a solid flywheel as its cheaper and it makes the car more responsive. Downside is a little 'chatter' at low revs but its only a noise and not a problem. Rev pickup is much better.

Your budget is ok but then 'wasting' it by going for the lowest mileage defeats the point. Don't be afraid of high miles, you won't be spending any more to fix any niggles and you have more for all the fun bits you will want to get.

• Like 1