Horse Dung!

stuarty

As others have pointed out - horse sh!te does not pose a public health hazard - unless the animal has just been wormed and was carrying a heavy worm load. It isn't on the pavement / anywhere you are likely to walk and will wash away with the first decent rainfall that comes along - FFS get a grip! :wacko:

• Like 1

Gardeners will pay good money for that stuff, its a brilliant soil improver.

So get out there and start baggin' it up ! Earn yourself some extra cash! :lol:

.........or you can buy it from me if you like......produced fresh on site!

As others have pointed out - horse sh!te does not pose a public health hazard - unless the animal has just been wormed and was carrying a heavy worm load. It isn't on the pavement / anywhere you are likely to walk and will wash away with the first decent rainfall that comes along - FFS get a grip! :wacko:

Yes, Horse poo is organic vegetable matter, just decays away. When I was a lad :wheelchair: , our milkman had a horse and cart and the poo was snaffled up for compost by the locals before it had chance to cool down.

Pete

I don't really see that it's practical to expect riders to clear up after horses, whereas dog owners can and should clear up after their dogs. I can think of a great many more things to get wound up by. Personally, I like to see horses out and about. They're lovely animals and a heck of a lot less trouble on the roads than some road users.

• Like 1

Which is exactly what I did, and y'know what? I came to the conclusion that it's very similar to stuff like birds and airfields: Birds have been around for way longer, but they're a pest to airfields that we, mankind, have built so we try and get rid of them from that area.

That's exactly what we should be doing with horses. Yes, they used to be great for getting around, but that's when we had tracks worn through the fields and not proper roads with CARS and LORRIES and OTHER BIG BITS OF METAL ON THEM. This is the modern day, and there is no room for horses on the roads as well. You want to be at one with nature on a horse? Fine, then bugger off and ride it in a field or a pasture or the Grand National.

Roads are for cars. Deal with it.

:D

• Like 1

The Dog Fouling (Scotland) Act 2003 states that it's a Public Health offence for any dog owner to allow their dog to foul in a public place and not pick it up and dispose of it in the proper manner.

Don't worry about the horse dung. In a couple of months time, when you've voted for independence, you'll be able to make a nice new Horse Fouling (Scotland) Act 2014. The problem for you personally is that police horses will most likely be exempt.

In the meantime if there's so much of it, just collect it & sell it - surprised you haven't thought of that one already :)

Which is exactly what I did, and y'know what? I came to the conclusion that it's very similar to stuff like birds and airfields: Birds have been around for way longer, but they're a pest to airfields that we, mankind, have built so we try and get rid of them from that area.

That's exactly what we should be doing with horses. Yes, they used to be great for getting around, but that's when we had tracks worn through the fields and not proper roads with CARS and LORRIES and OTHER BIG BITS OF METAL ON THEM. This is the modern day, and there is no room for horses on the roads as well. You want to be at one with nature on a horse? Fine, then bugger off and ride it in a field or a pasture or the Grand National.

Roads are for cars. Deal with it.

:D

Had that conversation with a load of horse riders a while back, I sat back didn't rev my engine or anything and watched then go straight PAST a good place to get out of my way so I slowly got closer and all hell broke out! They started screaming and shouting and I politely said tgat they had plenty of room to just move to one side and let me slowly through but NO. The abuse started towards me and my metal death machine so I told them to f@@@ off into the fields and started to go round them, they kept saying they were entitled to be on the road blah blah, yes entitled to but at least be as courteous to car drivers as we are expected to be to them

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 3

Worst thing was they had youngsters with them who were shouting abuse etc too so there is the next generation of bellends....

Like I said I sat patiently for maybe 10-15 mins at crawling pace on a small backroad, no apologies from them and when we got to a spot where there was a nice big area to all move onto and let me past they just ignored it!

Bit like the lady at the woodman pub from the meet the other month, just because she didn't like what a couple of cars did she steamed straight into everyone saying we were all the same blah blah.... well again we were in the middle of some lovely countryside so why did she have to take her horse on the road?

Irregardless of whether it's hazardous to health or not, poo is poo imo. You wouldn't let kids put it in their mouth or rub it in their faces and I for one don't want it on my car.

A lot of your food grows in poo, you might find your kids get a bit thin. ;)

• Like 1

Ok, having seen this from both sides I'd say some of you are wrong. Both cars AND horses have the right to be on certain roads, EQUAL right. Just because you run on petrol and it runs on grass makes no difference, you're just using a different machine.

The comparison with dog poo is just ridiculous, you need to get out of your house a bit more! Do you think your food is injection moulded? No, the fields are covered in cow poo, chicken poo and whatever else is good for the soil. From this link; "Nearly two decades ago, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil." While horse poo obviously isn't something you want to chow down on due to things such as e.coli , it certainly isn't classed as the same level of bio hazard as dog poo.

As for a riders right to be on the road; humans have had domesticated horses for approximately 6500 years, we have had motor cars for 128 years, and even 100 years ago they were still limited to 14mph! I think it's fair to say that horses were there first, and to remove them from the roads is akin to saying you can't walk your dog down the street.

There are rules for riders on the road, all based around safety of course. But there are also rules for drivers, based on the safety and sharing the road in a respectful way to other road users.

I think to be impatient behind horse riders and create a dangerous situation where a horse could be spooked is unforgivable. If you have been on top of a horse while it's panicking and then enjoyed the subsequent flail through the air and realisation you may be trampled to death, you'll understand why it's important to be respectful on the roads. However, the same applies the other way, as mentioned there are horse riders who are douche bags. So, douche bags on both sides and the result is someone thrown from their horse and killed, fortunately it's a rare thing as the majority of drivers are respectful and the majority of riders are courteous. Just don't be one of those douche bags.

On a final note, more related to the OP's point about poop, it's a good idea to grab some and chuck it in your compost heap! But remember to compost it for about 6 months, or a shorter time period if you can get it up to 131C, this kills off all the nasty things you could catch from it. You're better off getting this stuff fresh out its butt rather than getting it from a local farm as you know it's fresh and free from additives like lime.

Source: Drive cars, ridden horses and compost for my garden :)

EDIT: It's to Its

Edited by Husky

Ok, having seen this from both sides I'd say some of you are wrong. Both cars AND horses have the right to be on certain roads, EQUAL right. Just because you run on petrol and it runs on grass makes no difference, you're just using a different machine.

The comparison with dog poo is just ridiculous, you need to get out of your house a bit more! Do you think your food is injection moulded? No, the fields are covered in cow poo, chicken poo and whatever else is good for the soil. From this link; "Nearly two decades ago, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil." While horse poo obviously isn't something you want to chow down on due to things such as e.coli , it certainly isn't classed as the same level of bio hazard as dog poo.

As for a riders right to be on the road; humans have had domesticated horses for approximately 6500 years, we have had motor cars for 128 years, and even 100 years ago they were still limited to 14mph! I think it's fair to say that horses were there first, and to remove them from the roads is akin to saying you can't walk your dog down the street.

There are rules for riders on the road, all based around safety of course. But there are also rules for drivers, based on the safety and sharing the road in a respectful way to other road users.

I think to be impatient behind horse riders and create a dangerous situation where a horse could be spooked is unforgivable. If you have been on top of a horse while it's panicking and then enjoyed the subsequent flail through the air and realisation you may be trampled to death, you'll understand why it's important to be respectful on the roads. However, the same applies the other way, as mentioned there are horse riders who are douche bags. So, douche bags on both sides and the result is someone thrown from their horse and killed, fortunately it's a rare thing as the majority of drivers are respectful and the majority of riders are courteous. Just don't be one of those douche bags.

On a final note, more related to the OP's point about poop, it's a good idea to grab some and chuck it in your compost heap! But remember to compost it for about 6 months, or a shorter time period if you can get it up to 131C, this kills off all the nasty things you could catch from it. You're better off getting this stuff fresh out its butt rather than getting it from a local farm as you know it's fresh and free from additives like lime.

Source: Drive cars, ridden horses and compost for my garden :)

EDIT: It's to Its

Just to add my sister has stables and I do ride now and again, I just don't like ignorant people doesn't matter if they are on foot, bike, horse, tractor whatever.... Like I said I kept a nice safe distance behind for quite a while, when the riders passed maybe the 3rd place they could have moved over and the biggest by far, then and only then did I move closer just to politely ask why they saw fit to just ride 4 abreast across a country lane :shrug:

Ok once they just started abusing me then I told them they shouldn't be on the road, not as horse riders but as ignorant tw@ts :rant:

I agree moaning about horse poop on the roads is a bit silly and not in anyway relevant to laws on dog fouling :wacko:

Just to add my sister has stables and I do ride now and again, I just don't like ignorant people doesn't matter if they are on foot, bike, horse, tractor whatever.... Like I said I kept a nice safe distance behind for quite a while, when the riders passed maybe the 3rd place they could have moved over and the biggest by far, then and only then did I move closer just to politely ask why they saw fit to just ride 4 abreast across a country lane :shrug:

Ok once they just started abusing me then I told them they shouldn't be on the road, not as horse riders but as ignorant tw@ts :rant:

I agree moaning about horse poop on the roads is a bit silly and not in anyway relevant to laws on dog fouling :wacko:

Yeah, they are 100% not allowed to ride 4 abreast, maximum 2 abreast and if traffic is around they are mean to be breasts, uh I mean, single file.

Yeah, they are 100% not allowed to ride 4 abreast, maximum 2 abreast and if traffic is around they are mean to be breasts, uh I mean, single file.

Yeah they said they were a riding school and had inexperienced people so needed to ride like that, I said if they were inexperienced they should be riding round a field not on a country lane...

• Like 3