What would a speeding ticket add to your insurance

ostego

Every day i drive to and from work on a 30mph road, and encounter 1 speed camera there, and one coming back.

Earlier today i was driving down that road, and where as i always ensure I am at 25mph when going through them..... for some reason I just don't remember ensuring i was at that speed for this camera!

I am pretty sure I wasn't speeding through it.... I'd notice, wouldn't I? The flash should be pretty noticable!

Now I'm pranging out, and my in car camera had run out of memory so i can't check the rear camera to see if there was a flash!

I'm 99% sure I wasn't exceeding the speed when i went through it but am just uber worried since I didnt make a conscious note to watch my speed like i routinely do!

Just looked at how it would affect my quote percentage-wise on admiral.... and they would currently give me a year for £1282, a speed awareness course takes it up to £1750 and a 3 point speeding offence takes it to £2,000

My year's premium is £710.... so using those percentages it would go up to about £1,000 for a S.A.C and £1,200 if i got 3 points.

.....hiking up a premium by about 70% for a speeding ticket seems a bit excessive!

Has anyone on here had to delcare a speeding offence, what percentage did it put your premium up by?

I'm 22, so know i fall into the high risk category.... but a 70% increase just seems insane!

They must be the only insurer that charge extra for a SAC, one of the benefits of the course is that you don't have to tell insurers.

Fairly sure its bullshit to even ask you if you have had a SAC. Its a non conviction so I doubt they could ever even trace the fact thst youve been on one.

DVLA hold no record of it and neither does a CRB check. Police info is privileged and protected by the DPA.

Most insurance doesn't usually budge too much for 3 points from what ive seen

As the speed awareness course cancels out the issuing of the penalty notice there is/ should be no requirement to notify your insurance co. I was categorically informed whilst on my course that there is no need to advise your insurer as in effect the offence is wiped.

Most insurers wont load your insurance premium for 1 simple sp30 or similar,

From personal experience, you don't tend to notice the flash of a speed camera but don't dispair most cameras don't have film in them, it's the mobile cameras you need to watch out for.

Admiral definitely ask the question though

They definitely do, I'm with them and they've asked the last two years. Just another money making scam because people are taking these courses rather than taking the points

Admiral definitely ask the question though

You might ask a girl down the local cattle market if shes got the clap but it doesnt mean shes going to tell you and you cant exactly do a quick background check.

Its totally reliant on the person to declare it.

Itd be like having a crash, paying for it all outside the insurance and then declaring it as an accident.

You could do it but you'd have to be certifiable

I have just had a NIP grr! had a speed awareness course just under 3 years ago so wont get another, most insurance companies are not bothered about the course but some ask, and most don't make any big adjustment's for an SP30, mine has only gone up by £30 from last year so not much and it tends to creep up every year anyway, but then I'm an old git.

The most annoying thing is that after may years of riding fast bikes, and big power cars, and never getting any tickets I have now had two,

one in the 350GT and one in a diesel!

I have just had a NIP grr! had a speed awareness course just under 3 years ago so wont get another, most insurance companies are not bothered about the course but some ask, and most don't make any big adjustment's for an SP30, mine has only gone up by £30 from last year so not much and it tends to creep up every year anyway, but then I'm an old git.

The most annoying thing is that after may years of riding fast bikes, and big power cars, and never getting any tickets I have now had two,

one in the 350GT and one in a diesel!

The speed awareness course didn`t work then ? B)

• Like 1

[

Its a non conviction so I doubt they could ever even trace the fact thst youve been on one.

DVLA hold no record of it and neither does a CRB check. Police info is privileged and protected by the DPA.

Yes, only the police have access to who has been on a speeding awareness course. They retain the information for 3 years then archive it for a further 2 years, for research apparently, then it's deleted. I'm not sure how they do this now but a few years ago police forces that offered a course only kept records for their area, may well be centralized now as all mainland forces (apart from Scotland) are signed up to the scheme.

Pete

Yep, staying with same insurer that is what you get, but to be fair when I have sought quotes from others (and usually get an email) that are lower the present company I have been with for a few years, they will price match. All a bit of a flaff but ading up over the years has saved quite few hundreds. ;)

I was unfortunate enough to get 3 points a few years back and it increased my insurance by 30%.

The most annoying thing is that after may years of riding fast bikes, and big power cars, and never getting any tickets I have now had two, one in the 350GT and one in a diesel!

Mine was the same, I have fast motorbikes & cars but I got flashed by a mobile camera as I was over taking a lorry on a piece of dual carriageway in an old Diesel golf! The most annoying thing was I was in no rush that day so I was just cruising at 70mph for miles & miles. I pulled out to over take a lorry who was doing 58mph and because I was doing 70mph I ended up with a queue of cars right up my back side all itching to get by me as I overtook. So, foolishly I tried to get past the lorry slightly quicker to let the cars past and my speed crept up to about 80mph. Once I got by the lorry I slowed back down to 70mph but it was too late, the mobile speed trap flashed me at 80mph in a 70mph so 3 points & fine. Talk about sods law.

Edited by rabbitstew

I was unfortunate enough to get 3 points a few years back and it increased my insurance by 30%.

The most annoying thing is that after may years of riding fast bikes, and big power cars, and never getting any tickets I have now had two, one in the 350GT and one in a diesel!

Mine was the same, I have fast motorbikes & cars but I got flashed by a mobile camera as I was over taking a lorry on a piece of dual carriageway in an old Diesel golf! The most annoying thing was I was in no rush that day so I was just cruising at 70mph for miles & miles. I pulled out to over take a lorry who was doing 58mph and because I was doing 70mph I ended up with a queue of cars right up my back side all itching to get by me as I overtook. So, foolishly I tried to get past the lorry slightly quicker to let the cars past and my speed crept up to about 80mph. Once I got by the lorry I slowed back down to 70mph but it was too late, the mobile speed trap flashed me at 80mph in a 70mph so 3 points & fine. Talk about sods law.

That's more or less exactly what hapend to me! 79 in a70, but I am sure my GPS only said 74, but if you contest it you just get fined more!

As the speed awareness course cancels out the issuing of the penalty notice there is/ should be no requirement to notify your insurance co. I was categorically informed whilst on my course that there is no need to advise your insurer as in effect the offence is wiped.

Most insurers wont load your insurance premium for 1 simple sp30 or similar,

From personal experience, you don't tend to notice the flash of a speed camera but don't dispair most cameras don't have film in them, it's the mobile cameras you need to watch out for.

Exactly this.

The exact amount that getting a speeding fine will add onto your insurance varies. But if you did get caught, and you do a speed awareness course, don't tell the insurers, they will tell you on the day that you don't have to do so.

Also, some cameras use an infra-red flash so you don't see it. However one flashed a car on the other side of the road to me few weeks ago and that was blindingly bright!

If an insurer asks you about a SAC, you have two choices:

1. Tell them the truth.

2. Don't tell them, and take your business elsewhere.

You cannot and must not lie to them: You're only asking to end up in a massive bag of the brown stuff if you do.