Advice needed - situation with trade in cash back

Bobbyheinz

Hi guys, so as some of you know I picked up my 370 last week and traded my 350 in.

It was a young chap who dealt with the transaction and I know he was fairly inexperienced, albeit very friendly and helpful. Anyway, he never asked me how many keys I had for the 350 and we agreed a trade in price over the phone.

When I went down and gave him the 1 key he was all taken aback and said he had based the valuation on the car having 2 keys.

I know the 350 second key is in pieces somewhere in my parents house but I really don't have a clue where and won't have a chance to go through to theirs for ages.

I told him I would look for the second and he said they'd hold out paying the cash back from the trade in until I knew whether i had the spare.

I have all the paper work that states they are giving me £7900 cash back but I know he's going to try to knock that down when I say I don't have the second key.

Do you think it's unfair for me to play the "you didn't tell me the valuation was based upon 2 keys/you never asked if it had keys" card and demand the full amount ??? Or do you think I should take a hit in the cash back? If the second option how much do you think is reasonable?

Does it say on the offer "based on two keys present?" or something along those lines? I doubt it. Therefore they don't have a leg to stand on. If they had any idea what they were doing in the first place they would have clarified if the second key - and indeed, the service key were present.

They are the ones in breach of contract - you have the piece of paper that says they have agreed to a trade in price.

If you are feeling generous they can take £100 off for the cost of a key and programming :shrug:

Why's it such a big deal anyway?

It is obviously better having two keys in case you lost one but I can't see it making that much difference to whether someone would buy your old 350?! I didn't ask when I bought mine but it did have two keys luckily.

Years ago when I bought a JDM import Impreza WRX that only had one key. Didn't stop me buying it. :lol: Just was really careful with my single key. :D

I agree with all the other posts, garage has no right to withhold your money, I've bought plenty of cars that only had one key, never got them any cheaper, garage usually say car only came in with one key and you choose if thats a deal breaker. Stick to your guns and demand money in full or you will go to trading standards. I take it you bought on finance, if so speak to finance co because dealer may be in breach of contract, if nothing else threat will shake up dealer. Good luck.

I would tell them to shove it mate and say that's what we agreed if you don't like it, here is your 370z back!

This, I doubt a garage would lose a sale over a key. No offense but it's the same with every garage that you part ex in, I'm sure they are making a tidy bit of profit on this as it is. Don't lose a penny more.

I would tell them to shove it mate and say that's what we agreed if you don't like it, here is your 370z back!

This, I doubt a garage would lose a sale over a key. No offense but it's the same with every garage that you part ex in, I'm sure they are making a tidy bit of profit on this as it is. Don't lose a penny more.

The only thing I can add to this is to clamly tell them you'd rather repeatedly smash you dick with a hammer than buy a car off them

• Like 2

Pfft when I went to pich the Saab up discovered it only had one key - I sat down and waited a half hour while he went off and got one programmed - he then wanted to toss a coin for the £50 it cost him - we did (I was feeling generous) and I won :lol:

• Like 1

I just bought my car with one key, went to get a price for a spare and was going to be over 200 quid and that was from timpsons a main dealer was more, fortunately the previous owner found the spare in a safe place and posted it saving me a packet. Maybe this is the reason he's asking for a 2nd key but if it wasn't stipulated then the deal should stand!

This isn't for real is it?

Tell him to STFU and give you your money unless he can provide documented evidence or recorded conversation that two keys were required. Even if it was, with holding £7900 for ONE key is astonishing, a key can only cost a few hundred at a main dealer at the very most, not £7,900!!!!

My 350Z only has one key and that was bought from a Nissan dealer (I was too excited to notice at the time of picking up the car :)). So when I PX the car I also only had 1 key. The dealer doing the PX asked for the second key, I said I didn't have it, he shrugged his shoulders, that was the end of it....

As suggested above, go back to the dealership and request they take the 370Z back since clearly the second key issue is such an important part of deal :)

Edited by gangzoom

If it was written down on the order form then tough luck. I traded a car in and took the road tax out as I always do and after the dealer asked where's the road tax. I just said you never mentioned it in the deal and the tax disc is my property.