BMW Z4M - Opinions please

georgerobertfreeman

PMSL :lol:

They're very good cars, very good indeed. The engine is one of the all time greats, the chassis very exploitable and the overall package very cohesive. Interior is a bit dull but functional, and I'd avoid one with the carbon fibre bits as they look quite naff. Be aware of VANOS issues and a good service history is a must, but other than that I can't fault them.

They are quicker than a Zed all other things being equal, but they don't feel that much quicker.

Seriously considering swapping the zed in for a BMW Z4M as the quest for more power continues.

Any one had one? How do they compare to the zed?

I bought a set of wheels from a guy who traded in his Zed for a Z4M. He could have been unlucky but the car had been off the road for long periods due to electrical problems. At the end of the day though they've got about 30 bhp more than an HR and are half a second quicker to 60, you really need something like TVR if you want any significant performance increase.

Pete

BMW is the sensible choice, I can however say hand on heart I have never looked at a Z4 and went OHHH Z4.

I wanted a cayman when I was looking for the Zed but couldnt afford the insurance and the bigger purchase price, I would suggest if you aren't fussed about it being a drop top to look into them. Don't have the entry level porsche look about them !

I test drove one when shopping for my Z. I found the performance and handling to be excellent (although slightly more twitchy back end, may have been the tyres).

The noise they make is amazing!

The one thing that put me off going for one though was the size of the cabin. Coming from a Z the cabin felt very tight and dark.

BMW is the sensible choice, I can however say hand on heart I have never looked at a Z4 and went OHHH Z4.

I wanted a cayman when I was looking for the Zed but couldnt afford the insurance and the bigger purchase price, I would suggest if you aren't fussed about it being a drop top to look into them. Don't have the entry level porsche look about them !

You can pick up a Cayman S on an 07 plate for around 15k which is within budget. Similar performance to The Z4M , more presence on the road, the only downside would possibly be the running costs.

Pete

Fails the 2005 test but why not get a Z3 M Coupe instead? Prices have only been going one way recently, they are infinitely cooler than the Z4 and it's a future classic. Hard to find any with <40k miles though and the older 70k+ engines appear to need some kind of rebuild. But probs worth the effort though.

What about an SLK/CLK55? Marmite cars but more power.

On the newer side, a remapped 335i with 380bhp+ is possible and might be within budget.

• Like 1

Seriously considering swapping the zed in for a BMW Z4M as the quest for more power continues.

I bought a set of wheels from a guy who traded in his Zed for a Z4M. He could have been unlucky but the car had been off the road for long periods due to electrical problems. At the end of the day though they've got about 30 bhp more than an HR and are half a second quicker to 60, you really need something like TVR if you want any significant performance increase.

Pete

TVR, ha! VX220 Turbo, with a £300 remap 0-60 in a touch over 4 seconds ;):lol:

I considered the Z4M when i was looking for my zed, but it didnt have much more power then the 313 zed I ended up getting and on the road was neck & neck in performance. I think the Z4M was something like 334bhp and the 313 is 309bhp with identical torque. What swung it for me was I actually prefered the looks of the zed, as well as the zed coming in slightly cheaper.

As others have said, cracking cars, great engines, but for me it wouldnt be the next step after a zed. In fact I didnt even consider one when I chopped my zed in last year.

• Like 1

Enoch Powell or whatever he was called just bought a standard 3litre which was still pretty bleeding rapid and fairly economical to run.

I saw a boggo 3l Si Coupe yesterday in black.............beautiful. There again I always did like the look of the Z4..............just hated everything else about it!

M will be a flying machine.

Pete

And the TVR will come back past when it tops out at 120 :lol:

0-60 times are for Top Gear and girls, real men quote 0-130 and standing quarters. Which the VX will still win, but y'know :D

Pete

And the TVR will come back past when it tops out at 120 :lol:

0-60 times are for Top Gear and girls, real men quote 0-130 and standing quarters. Which the VX will still win, but y'know :D

This is true, over 120 its the bigger engine all the way - and the amount of times anyone has gone over that speed on here on public roads is... ;)