Is the Z's fuel economy really 'that' bad?

AJRFulton

I've did a car swap with my Brother this week, I've took his Passat estate 2.0TDI. I'm moving from Wales back to Scotland and the Z isn't really the ideal car for this.

Anyway, driving the 330ml trip, I usually go to 77-78mph on the GPS, which translates to 85ish on the speedo, and set the cruise control. In the Z the trip is usually 28-32mpg (the Z seems quite sensitive to conditions, wet/cold weather seems to affect more, but I expect this is due to wide tyres and greater road resistance in the wet), however in the Passat, unloaded, it was just 36mpg. It's a good stock test and I am consistent in doing this, and have been for years.

Previously I've did the trip in a Auris T180 (2.2 Diesel), and only attained ~32mpg, although the Auris d4d engine is notorious for being @*!# at fuel economy. Also did the trip in an Astra 1.7TDi, and it faired a bit better getting 42mpg, but was by a long way the least gutsy and worst to drive, then it only had half the power of the Auris, and quarter the power of the Z.

Had an Audi S3 a few years ago too, and doing the same thing with setting the cruise control, 28-30mpg was the norm.

My point is the Z's quoted figures of around 26mpg, are something I am regularly surpassing. Other cars with their quoted figures in the high 40's, low 50's, I'm nowhere near to in the real world. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I could of driven here at 55mph and attained 55mpg in the Passat, but that is also taking me 2hrs longer on an already long drive.

In terms of an A to B cruiser, the Z really isn't that bad, considering what it is. A lot is made of the Z's poor economy, but to be honest, whilst it's not good - 6mths of ownership later, I really am not finding it as bad as feared driving at real world speeds. I was expecting low 20's, where as high 20's average is normal.

The Z's thorn in the side though is urban driving, something I don't do too much, but all the other cars out perform it by lots! The Z is mid 20's, the other high 30's and 40's.

Edited by Badgeronimous

The zed is one of the most economical sports cars... and at higher speeds the mpg dont drop so much as the engine isnt struggling for more power.

OTher cars I.e. low litre or diesels arent good after 60-65mph as fuel economy shoots down

Not a technical opinion just my own from driving various cars. London to edinburgh on 78pound. Could potentially do london to edinburgh and back on one tank in a zed

agreed, reset the comp on the motorway this morning and was averaging 35mpg by the time i got to work. Even on the zed weekend in wales with 150miles of spirited driving i averaged 28mpg. From my experience its running a cold engine thats the problem, once its up to temperature it can cruise all day at 30mpg, and do 400+ miles on a tank easy. I cant think of a car i'd rather go to scotland and back in, the slight drop in mpg compared to a diesel is more than made up for by the effortless cruise controlled comfort and low down torque :thumbs:

Where all of the cars mentioned will beat a Zed is around town and stop start motoring, my diseal Leon only used to get 35-40 on a long run but that was at 80mph, it faired much better at 70, my Zed did better at 80 :shrug: all down to gearing etc I guess but what i do know is i coukd drive the leon around town and it never went under 30mpg

So yes a Zed isn't too bad for fuel on a long run if you drive steady..... but it's not exactly the car of choice for that is it :lol:

I live only a few miles from where I work and I drive the Zed every day.

MPG suffers but its no worse than my old 1997 MR2. Got about 20MPG out of both of them.

The Zed on the other hand is miles better for long journeys.

I recently reset the computer and compared a 100 mile round trip to a 10 mile commute.

MPG was around 28-30 over the 100 miles.

So yeah, not as bad as everyone makes out especially if you often do long cruises.

I actually found that Nissan's numbers were pretty accurate, for a change. I believe they say 24mpg on the combined, which is what I got from a 50/50 split of motorway at 70mph and country lanes giving it the welly in 1st and 2nd.

Most manufacturers these days give you numbers you'll never get close to.

Having worries about fuel consumption when owning a Zed is like wondering if the urinal stones are lemon scented or not in a strip club that gives free lap dances

Most peculiar analogy I think I have ever heard :-)

I think this thread is promoting mpg in the zed as opposed to worrying about it. Everyone checks that stupid fuel gauge regularly and mpg. I always like going to meets and finding I have the best avg mpg against st, vxr, impreza etc :) although even if we had a 1.6diesel 60mpg... u would still bother about mpg :lol:

you could drive it painfully and get 40-45 mpg from the zed on motorway driving, cruise on at around 50mph in 6th on a nice day but theres no fun in that, i average 29-32mpg between city and motorway, although ive seen it drop to 13mpg and had it at 58mpg (for a couple miles) just to see how economical it could be if i really tried, anything higher than 18mpg in a sports car and im happy,

A bit off topic, but in 2008 i bought a vauxhall astra 1.9 sri (150 bhp). During the winter months on a short journey to work, i used to get no more than 29mpg and in the warmer months around 31mpg. Then i bought a vauxhall astra vxr, i averaged 28 mpg in winter and 32 in summer doing the same short journeys.

Taking into account that diesel fuel was more expensive i reckon the petrol vxr was more economical than the sri diesel!

Edited by stuarty

A bit off topic, but in 2008 i bought a vauxhall astra 1.9 sri (150 bhp). During the winter months on a short journey to work, i used to get no more than 29mpg and in the warmer months around 31mpg. Then i bought a vauxhall astra vxr, i averaged 28 mpg in winter and 32 in summer doing the same short journeys.

Taking into account that diesel fuel was more expensive i reckon the petrol vxr was more economical than the sri diesel!

I think all this diesel malarkey is a load of w... theyre good if your doing 60mph 24/77.but if u push that pedal in too much the fuel disappears

• Like 1

I kept accurate records when I had my Capri 2.8i. Over the 18,000 miles I had the car (from new) I averaged 24 mpg. It would probably have been 25-26 but I towed a fairly heavy caravan down to the Portmadoc area several times each year. Never bothered with records on any other car I owned but The Celica T-Sport had a computer that showed 29.1 after 17,000 miles, not that much better than the 26.1 The Zed gets.

Pete

I think this thread is promoting mpg in the zed as opposed to worrying about it. Everyone checks that stupid fuel gauge regularly and mpg. I always like going to meets and finding I have the best avg mpg against st, vxr, impreza etc :) although even if we had a 1.6diesel 60mpg... u would still bother about mpg :lol:

Sorry but I have to disagree on this one, everyone else may do but I really do not check the mpg and I really don't care either :) . But then I've never been to a meet to check out the mpg of other cars :yawn:, each to their own but I think I'd rather watch my dog moult... :stir: