New fixed penalty laws

JetSet

Me to that seems an odd one to me if your going 70 and someone's up your trumpet do you get done for hogging or does the person behind get done for tailgating? I thought that's what the fast lane was for to overtake anyone in the middle? At least the mobile phone one will be good i see so many on their phones

Edited by jumping350

I think the fixed penalty for using a mobile phone still isn't high enough. I see people with their phones glued to their ears all the time, and not just when on motorways, but when negotiating junctions, parking, all sorts. It's worrying how much disregard they have for other peoples safety.

• Like 1

About time too :) .

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-22770064

Pete

Totally agree, but I would like to see the criteria for what is considered hogging the middle lane.

Agreed. My understanding (from the IAM) is that if you can occupy the nearside lane for in excess of 15 seconds then you should move there rather than staying in the middle lane.

Given the same principle applies if you are in the outside lane, is where I can see some 'issues' as everyone stacks up behind the 65-69mph outside lane hogger who has made their mind up that is the speed everyone should be doing and it may well be those on the end of the 'train' waiting to get by and not wanting to illegally undertake who get caught, when it really should be the clown at the front who should be done.

Apart from the the phone issue, which will be clear cut, I can't help but wonder if the other 2 are going to end up like the scameras, just an opportunity to rape drivers for more money. How is tailgating going to be measured? Vehicle lengths at any time? Or distance from the vehicle for a given speed (stopping distance?).

I'm glad they're tackling the issues, I just want more clarity on what will constitute an infringement.

I don't even see police cars on the motorway anymore, so that's going to fall straight on its head.

And as people have said, there's no clear measurement, just a law that will never get applied. Although the mobile phone thing I'm totally in favour of. They need to receive the old style brick phone up their ass as a penalty not £100!!

I partly agree but to give an example a few years back I was traveling north from Manchester to Aberdeen sitting in middle lane cruise control set at 76mph. Roads were quiet but occasional cars in slow lane say every 20-30seconds sometimes longer. One car comes roaring up behind me 80mph+ and sits there waiting for me to pull in which I never as to me that's what the fast lane is for. She then overtook giving the the death stare as she passed. So technically I should have given way but she could have just used common sense and used the empty fast lane no?

About time too :) .

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-22770064

Pete

Totally agree, but I would like to see the criteria for what is considered hogging the middle lane.

Agreed. My understanding (from the IAM) is that if you can occupy the nearside lane for in excess of 15 seconds then you should move there rather than staying in the middle lane.

Given the same principle applies if you are in the outside lane, is where I can see some 'issues' as everyone stacks up behind the 65-69mph outside lane hogger who has made their mind up that is the speed everyone should be doing and it may well be those on the end of the 'train' waiting to get by and not wanting to illegally undertake who get caught, when it really should be the clown at the front who should be done.

the problem is that, the large number of trucks and slow moving vehicles on the inside lane, make it necessary for drivers to stay in the middle lane for miles before they can get back into the inside lane, and most don't want to stop there, as most trucks and a good number of fleet vehicles have speed limiters set below 70mph. There's no such thing as a slow lane or fast lane, all vehicles should be capable of going at 75 - 80mph. Royal Mail vehicles are limited to 55mph.

Me to that seems an odd one to me if your going 70 and someone's up your trumpet do you get done for hogging or does the person behind get done for tailgating? I thought that's what the fast lane was for to overtake anyone in the middle? At least the mobile phone one will be good i see so many on their phones

They need to define lane hogging. If someones up your trumpet they will get done for tailgating regardless of you lane hogging or not. If you are in the middle lane and the inside lane is clear then you are lane hogging, even if the outside is clear. What I dont understand is for what distance the inside lane is clear for before you get done for hogging. If its only clear for 50 yards then should you pull in just to pull out again? I would imagine they will do people who are clearly hogging it, ie 10 clear car lengths are free in the inside lane or something.

I just see it as a new law for the traffic police to abuse as they see fit to generate more £££.

If they so wished surely they could choose to spot fine a tailgater or a lane hogger if you see what I mean.

I fail to see how they can enforce this. If you go on any motorway you will see millions of people hogging lanes, tailgating or doing over 70mph. The police just wouldnt be able to handle all the paper work if they nicked everyone who did this.

Well, of course they wouldn't be able to get everyone...but they will get few...the word will get spread around and hopefully we will have less lane hoggers etc! If that makes sense lol

I think the fixed penalty for using a mobile phone still isn't high enough. I see people with their phones glued to their ears all the time, and not just when on motorways, but when negotiating junctions, parking, all sorts. It's worrying how much disregard they have for other peoples safety.

Yes, the guy who fitted my boiler has just been done for the 4th time for using his mobile phone :scare: . Some people aren't getting the message and IMHO the deterrent isn't tough enough. I'd like to see 4 points instead of 3 and a punitive sliding scale of fines, first time £250, second time £500, third time £1,000 and a 12 months ban. Anyone caught texting should get 6 points and a £500 fine.

Pete

I see so many people using their mobile phones whilst driving, stuck to the side of their head, failing to indicate and driving dangerously. I really do not understand why people feel the need to do it, if it is that important then pull over, otherwise call back when you have reached the destination!! £100 is a lot of money to most of us, but not all and I cant help but feel that these people will not stop until something fatal happens. Unfortunately this is the wake up call they need.

I though the law was the inside lane is for slow moving traffic and good vehicles and the middle lane was for faster moving traffic. Outside lane is for overtaking only.

Love to know how this would work on the M6. Everyone drives in the outside lane because HGV are constantly overtaking each other.

But I think innocent people will fall foul of this law, hopefully the police will use common sense but won't hold my breath.

As for the plebs still using mobile phones despite the amount of hands free kits on the market for under £10, fine should be £250 to £500 for repeat offenders and 6 penalty points as it's driving without due care and attention.

Edited by N9JAH

I do not agree with middle lane hogging,but I also do not agree with this new law!

And I can not believe how many are supporting it!

I can see it causing accidents with people trying to squeeze back into the inside lane when their allotted 15secs is up to avoid a fine.

Although this probably will not apply to me.Just checked my MOT from 10 months ago and I have done 650miles in the zed!!!

All done in the fast lane of course!!! :lol:

Yes, the guy who fitted my boiler has just been done for the 4th time for using his mobile phone :scare: . Some people aren't getting the message and IMHO the deterrent isn't tough enough. I'd like to see 4 points instead of 3 and a punitive sliding scale of fines, first time £250, second time £500, third time £1,000 and a 12 months ban. Anyone caught texting should get 6 points and a £500 fine.

Pete

:thumbs::clap:

• Like 1