CHAMOIS LEATHER FOR DRYING OFF ???

JEMAN

Thanks for that guys......i did try a micro fibre towel, but found it left water marks......but didnt use the the way you said

I just micro fibre towels, just lots of them. A couple of cloths to soak the water then a final one to really dry it off works well.

Sounds good to me

I've started using a silicone blade to get rid of most of the water and then a chamois to finish it off. Much quicker and easier than using a chamois for the whole job.

Just cant get my head around using a blade on my car lol I keep thinking of window cleaners lol But i know these are really good :)

Nooooo never use a blade! Sure fire way to scratch your car.

I used to use one, then saw the error of my ways when I caught a small stone I'd missed and put a lovely great scratch down the boot. :(

• Like 1

Have a look over on DetailingWorld :)

Silicone blades are supposed to be as bad as car wash brushes, and chamois have made way for microfibre towels, loads of stuff on CleanYourCar.co.uk to spend your hard-earned on!

• Like 2

I used to use one, then saw the error of my ways when I caught a small stone I'd missed and put a lovely great scratch down the boot. :(

Have a look over on DetailingWorld :)

Silicone blades are supposed to be as bad as car wash brushes, and chamois have made way for microfibre towels, loads of stuff on CleanYourCar.co.uk to spend your hard-earned on!

Im taking it all in guys............sooooo helpful for me & the Z BIG THANKS :)

I just picked a few up from my local pound shop. Have just used them for the first time and I'm impressed!

Surprisingly, they were only £1 each.... :teeth:

EDIT: Microfibre cloths I mean - not silicon blades.

Edited by 14N

One technique I saw from a pro detailer, and now use myself, is to fold the microfibre towel and pat down then lift off and move to the next area. This should prevent any chance of scratching that may occur by using the towel like a chamoise.

• Like 1

I just picked a few up from my local pound shop. Have just used them for the first time and I'm impressed!

Surprisingly, they were only £1 each.... :teeth:

EDIT: Microfibre cloths I mean - not silicon blades.

Do you ever spend more than £1 on anything -.- lol

Iv been using microfibres since I started detailing, wring it dry after 2-3 panels and when used with a quick detailing spray no water marks or streaks and extra shine. Not used a drying towel yet

I washed my car at jays place once and he dried it with a chamois but it wasn't the old type I'm used to seeing it was very good, just as good as a microfibre

Another tip is to take the nozzle off the hose when you've finished washing the car, and sheet the water across the roof. This will minimise water spotting, particularly if you live in a hard water area.

If you do live in a hard water area, get a decent water softener. Keep the existing garden tap obviously for the garden but add a second tap and put that one on the soft supply.... ok an expensive way to stop water spotting but it works a treat :lol:

A Wooly Mammoth is my preferred drying towel. Simply lay it on the panel and let it soak up the moisture.

I use a sealant rather than wax as it shrugs water off more effectively IMHO - as one person has said check out Detailing World.

David

Edited by Tinyflier
  • Like 1

i use a dodo juice microfibre drying towel, just make sure you wash it before you use it, i didn't and it could have dried it better with my bare hand the first use and it left fluff everywhere, but since its been washed its been amazing, and leaves my car looking polished even though it hasn't been

Used these since the beginning of my ZED ownership days (all learnt from this forum) to remove all the excess water first

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/I4D_Uber_Premium_Drying_Towel_1.html

and then a Mequires water magnet or similar microfibre for final drying.

Just machine wash both regularly but do not use fabric conditioners and they last years ;)