How times have changed......

Wasso

my niece and nephew asked why we didnt have video screens in the back of our seats for them to watch when we drove them home one evening. they said "mummy and daddy have videos on for us to watch when we're in their car"

I said, " when i was your age it was a priverlige if my dad let me borrow his walkman to listen to a story book on tape"

they said " whats a walkman ....and whats a tape?"

sigh

:lol:

• Like 2

You'd think that handbags would have shrunk in size now we ladies only have to carry a smartphone but, perversely, handbags are now the size of feed sacks for some reason!

I'm sure my other half's handbag is actually a mobile convenience store with the emergency chocolate and medical supplies :lol:

Smart phones have killed the art of conversation. My daily commute includes a train journey and the first thing almost everyone does once they've boarded the train is get there smartphone out and start browsing and/or listening to music.

I'm writing this post on the train on my smartphone! :lol: Amazing aren't they.

I'd say some of the items in the pic aren't as old as 1993, the laptop for example is far too slimline and I'd say late 90's :lol:

I think that's a 93 era PowerBook, I remember seeing these when I went to big school ('94) and being blown away! I owned one from about 95-99 but it was a newer model than that. I think my current iMac is more powerful than all the computers I've owned up to now, combined!

Edited by SuperStu

I'm currently doing a dissertation on a similar topic....Found out yesterday the current smartphones and tablets have the same processing power as the first/second gen super computers from the mid 1980's, they weighed about 5 tons!!! NASA and the US military used them to calculate/project what happens in the event of a thermal nuclear war...I use my iPhone/iPad to play Angry birds and waste time on the internet :lol:http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~luszczek/pubs/hpec2012_elb.pdf

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2

That's all well and good but when I started work the only "mobile" phone was car mounted and a "portable" stereo had to be at least 4' long and carried on the shoulder - normally with a bunch of mates and a big piece of cardboard to lay on the ground outside a shop - anyone else remember?

• Like 1

I'm currently doing a dissertation on a similar topic....Found out yesterday the current smartphones and tablets have the same processing power as the first/second gen super computers from the mid 1980's, they weighed about 5 tons!!! NASA and the US military used them to calculate/project what happens in the event of a thermal nuclear war...I use my iPhone/iPad to play Angry birds and waste time on the internet :lol:http://web.eecs.utk....pec2012_elb.pdf

Wow!

Used to have a custom high end desktop PC, then I bought a laptop. Stopped using desktop so much. Bought Google Nexus 7, stopped using laptop as much. Desktop now hardly used. Bought HTC One mobile phone, hardly use laptop now and use tablet only to watch videos. Everything done quicker and better on my phone now. It has even replaced my three remote controls for my sky +, TV, and surround sound system in the living room. Tech is getting soooo good! :thumbs:

I'm currently doing a dissertation on a similar topic....Found out yesterday the current smartphones and tablets have the same processing power as the first/second gen super computers from the mid 1980's, they weighed about 5 tons!!! NASA and the US military used them to calculate/project what happens in the event of a thermal nuclear war...I use my iPhone/iPad to play Angry birds and waste time on the internet :lol:http://web.eecs.utk....pec2012_elb.pdf

Wow!

Used to have a custom high end desktop PC, then I bought a laptop. Stopped using desktop so much. Bought Google Nexus 7, stopped using laptop as much. Desktop now hardly used. Bought HTC One mobile phone, hardly use laptop now and use tablet only to watch videos. Everything done quicker and better on my phone now. It has even replaced my three remote controls for my sky +, TV, and surround sound system in the living room. Tech is getting soooo good! :thumbs:

Wait till you get older, the Biggs the screen the better :lol:

• Like 1

....... a "portable" stereo had to be at least 4' long and carried on the shoulder - normally with a bunch of mates and a big piece of cardboard to lay on the ground outside a shop - anyone else remember?

And if it had a Bass Boost' button and an auto reverse tape deck, you were da man.

• Like 1

....... a "portable" stereo had to be at least 4' long and carried on the shoulder - normally with a bunch of mates and a big piece of cardboard to lay on the ground outside a shop - anyone else remember?

And if it had a Bass Boost' button and an auto reverse tape deck, you were da man.

That's the one :thumbs:

• Like 2

That's the one :thumbs:

Yeah man!

We used to use cardboard or an old bit of lino.

I used to used to borrow my mums 'Ghetto blaster' / 'Wog Box' which was one of these

Sanyo+M+9994+AM%253AFM+Stereo+Single+Cassette+Player+Ghettoblaster+Boombox.jpg

And the tape that got the most use was........

Fucgin loved it !!

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 1

When I was at school I used

sliderule_zps13730aa9.jpg

How many of you can remember those - pre-dates even calculators!

(For the un-initiated - it's a British Thornton slide rule) and you could use them in exams but you had to say "By Slide Rule" next to your answer as it was only good to about 1 decimal place

First calculator I had used reverse polish logic ( 5 then + then 3 then x and it displayed 15) and it cost about £30 back in 1972 or thereabouts -

(By the way - I've still got the slide rule, too!)

Edited by ianphampton
  • Like 1

I used to carry my ghetto blaster on one shoulder and a roll of lino under the other arm :lol:

I saw a documentary about this. Is this you SMD?

I've seen some well rude ghettoblaster style ipod docks. Christmas present sorted I reckon.

Edited by SuperStu