Shell V-Power Nitro+?

Adrian@TORQEN

Looking at there store locator, its just a rebrand. My local no longer lists regular vpower just vpower nitro. Must say I wont use tesco 99 momentum. Supermarket fuel is crap. We've had some problems at work with car blowing engines that use normal supermarket fuel when they should be using super. Sent a fuel sample away for testing and it came back 91 octane. Hence not trusting momentum.

Seems to me you cant trust anyone these days. Apart from me :)

I could google it but has anyone ever challenged a petrol company because their motor has blown because of Octane ratings?

Also I like the fact that Chrome highlights the fact that I didn't capitalise the g in google :)

Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

provides an interesting insight, including a list of the various products used worldwide and this summary for the UK:

United Kingdom: 'regular' petrol has an octane rating of 95 RON, with 97 RON fuel being widely available as the Super Unleaded. Tesco and Shell both offer 99 RON fuel. In April 2006, BP started a public trial of the super-high octane petrol BP Ultimate Unleaded 102, which as the name suggests, has an octane rating of 102 RON.[24] Although BP Ultimate Unleaded (with an octane rating of 97 RON) and BP Ultimate Diesel are both widely available throughout the UK, BP Ultimate Unleaded 102 was available throughout the UK in only 10 filling stations, and was priced at about two and half times more than their 97 RON fuel. In March 2010, BP stopped sales of Ultimate Unleaded 102, citing the closure of their specialty fuels manufacturing facility.[25] Shell V-Power is also available, but in a 99 RON octane rating, and Tesco fuel stations also supply the Greenergyproduced 99 RON "Momentum99".

But you do kinda wonder why motor manufacturers are keen for us to use certain octanes, but fuel companies are not so keen to tell us at the pumps what we are giving our motors to drink......

I went to fill up at shell tonight, lots of posters about the new fuel but the pumps were still V power, I asked the guy in the shop and he said they were getting a delivery of the new fuel tomorrow and he said he was pretty sure his book said it was 99 RON and would replace V-power all thogether but he couldn't find his book quickly enough to double check.

Thats been available in the US for a while, and in some Shell stations here. 102 Octane is what the posters say. :shrug:

. . . but its probably going to be an extra 60+ Cents or so a litre when compared to the gnats pee I run the Ram on :lol:

You do realise that Canada just like the U.S uses the AKI rating and not RON? I say this because 102 AKI is the same as 107 RON :scare: .

Pete

Filled up last night at local Shell and all their VPower has already been replaced with Nitro+ so didnt have a choice. Asked chap in garage and he said "it gives you 20-25% more power on start up" :wacko: Seemed to be taken by surprise by me asking and he gave me the leaflet on it. Was 144.5 a litre tho

Vpower nitro's a 99 octane fuel and still costs the same as reg vpower :) its 25% cleaner than previous and is basically redeveloped is all. I know this cos I work for shell and this is all ive heard for the last fortnight :lol:

I can vouch for this guy lol. Shab, has any tanker actually been in to change it to Nitro though? Or was it just a quick sticker change and we'll wait for the next tanker before its ACTUALLY nitro in it lol But if its 99 RON im happy with that! lol

Vpower nitro's a 99 octane fuel and still costs the same as reg vpower :) its 25% cleaner than previous and is basically redeveloped is all. I know this cos I work for shell and this is all ive heard for the last fortnight :lol:

Discount :shrug:

Just filled up a tank with it. Same price as normal v power, think its replacing it as the only option is now regular or v power nitro+

Leaflet in the store confirms its 99RON bit with 25% more cleaning stuff in it

Nothing to get excited about :(

Edited by smudgedon

Filled up the R35 tonight on my way to Knockhill with Nitro+

The only difference is that the Nitro+ contains 25% more friction modifiers than the previous V Powor formulation.

No difference in power or performance and lap times exactly the same.

However, I have been reliably informed that the Nitro+ 99 octane (RON) formulation will in the future become 102 octane with a price increase to match.

Alex. :)

Rebranding of V-Power so they can add a penny a litre and make more profits.

/cynical

Check Wikipedia, and don't turn off cynical mode. Its 100% a rebadge of vpower. In other markets, from memory, America and Canada to name a few) vpower has been called vPower nitro plus since 2008. Its literally a rebrand. The DID used to do a nitro plus racing which was 104 ron but sadly got rid of that a few years ago. Ive also given shell technical a call on 0800 731 8888 , the RON rating is the same as vpower which is 99.

I drive by 2 shell stations on my way home from work every day. 1 evening, its regular vpower, the next morning the forecourt is covered in nitro + logos and flags, somehow me thinks all the regular vpower didn't just disappear overnight.

the ONLY thing that they've changed in terms of fuel mix is the lubrication stuff. Still, not that it matters, il always buy it.

Edited by cs2000

• 2 weeks later...