Rats!

neo-ninja

Howdy Peeps,

Need some advice, the last few months i have been fighting a little bit of a battle with mice. I have heard the scuttling up the cavity walls in the everning so bought some traps and places them around the outside of our house and caught one. The sound stopped for quite a while but last night we heard some really heavy scratching in our loft. So i went up today and had a noisey it is pretty stinky and some pretty huge droppings (think £1 coin size and thickness!!) so im thinking we must have a rat!

It doesnt seem to have got into the kitchen no food has holes in and no droppings there.

Any advice? I have placed lots of glue traps up in the loft but it doesnt seem to have got him.

Should i just get rentokill out and what sort of cost am i looking at?

Contact your local authorities Environmental Health office as some LA offer the service free of charge. If not they may be alot cheaper than a private contractor. Also if you have mice/ rats there must be a food source really close to there nest. Make sure your waste bins cant be accessed and any neighbours do the same.

If there's no food available, they will simple move elsewhere. Also block any access holes to your home!!

I work for Rentokil (not as a pest employee) and I've seen some of their mastery equipment. I'd recommend their knowhow and expertise to remove said rodents.

They will even remove them with painless gas via their new traps which are epic.

Call them now!

Price haven't got a clue. I had some Wasps and it was like £75. So I guess it depends on the rodent and how many visits are required.

Contact your local authorities Environmental Health office as some LA offer the service free of charge. If not they may be alot cheaper than a private contractor. Also if you have mice/ rats there must be a food source really close to there nest. Make sure your waste bins cant be accessed and any neighbours do the same.

If there's no food available, they will simple move elsewhere. Also block any access holes to your home!!

+1 looking at £60-80 around here (cambs) price usaully includes follow on visits too :thumbs:

You can borrow one of my jack russles if your local to Bristol they're both good at ratting.

Failing that coux a cat in to your house (catnap)

And put it in your loft for a few hours.

With the size of the poop you mentioned it could be squirrels. ;)

Yeah, sounds like a squirrel but they're not usually active at night. Funnily enough I spotted a Rat in our garden a few days ago, found a dead one about 30 years ago, but this is the first live one I've seen. I'm guessing that this elongated spell of cold weather is forcing them to take desperate steps.

Pete

Had this at uni, local authority sorted for free after we tried loads of different traps.

For the "alternative thinker". My mum lives in France, they have moles in the garden which are a pain as she's into horticulture. Over there in Mr Bricolage (DIY store) they sell small explosives to lay in mole runs. Needless to say, they are effective deterrent to moles, who never re-offend after an encounter with a small land mine!

Couldn't find a video of the product in action, I believe it's similar to this.

You can borrow one of my jack russles if your local to Bristol they're both good at ratting.

Failing that coux a cat in to your house (catnap)

And put it in your loft for a few hours.

With the size of the poop you mentioned it could be squirrels. ;)

A few years ago down at the stables the jack Russell caught a huge rat must of been half the size of the dog its crazy the power in those wee dogs and there's me standing there worried for the dogs safety needless to say ratty didn't live too long and the screams where awful

plug any holes you have in exterior walls with a wad of wire wool and expanding foam. Rats can chew through a steel drainpipe, but they won't go through wire wool because it gets stuck in their teeth and cuts their gums.

becareful it could be this guy

danger_mouse-logo-EAB4F9DC64-seeklogo.com.gif

I heard he had his head kicked in by Master Splinter. Cowabunga dudes!

(has anyone said cowabunga since 1994?)

You fight well... in the old style. But you've caused me enough trouble. Now you face: the Shredder.

We had mice in our loft, noise was driving me mad at night. Looked on youtube for some clever homemade traps but found shop bought snap traps the best. Smeared with peanut butter because it is sticky and can't be lifted off trap. Positioned boxes etc in run areas to guide mice towards traps. Also used bait boxes for a while but not ideal as the poisened mouse can go up the food chain. Intalled a few smalll wireless cameras so I can check traps without having to go into loft. Cameras also have motion detection and monitor has built in memory so can also record and view which pest is up there. Most spy camera places could help. All this would apply to rats but obviously bigger traps. Loads of websites to help you identify droppings.

plug any holes you have in exterior walls with a wad of wire wool and expanding foam. Rats can chew through a steel drainpipe, but they won't go through wire wool because it gets stuck in their teeth and cuts their gums.

Quick update had the rat man round he said he thought it was rats, left a load of poisen around the place. Said that hopefully they will die outside, likely they will die inside in which case it can be a pain to find them but not alot he can d about that! (smell terrible apparently for 5 days to 5 weeks!) Fingers crossed it doesnt happen.

Good idea about iron wool, he said that he thiks they maybe coming up broken pipe around bottom of stack, so im wondering if i seal all round it with your method where it joins the floor that may sort it!

Thanks all!

Quick update had the rat man round he said he thought it was rats, left a load of poisen around the place. Said that hopefully they will die outside, likely they will die inside in which case it can be a pain to find them but not alot he can d about that! (smell terrible apparently for 5 days to 5 weeks!) Fingers crossed it doesnt happen.

Good idea about iron wool, he said that he thiks they maybe coming up broken pipe around bottom of stack, so im wondering if i seal all round it with your method where it joins the floor that may sort it!

Thanks all!

Sods law they will die in a cavity you cant get to. Hope they don't stink too much lol