Had a little accident :(

OsakaBen

I left work on Tuesday night around 10.30 as I was coming up to my house I started slowing down ready to pull into my drive. All of a sudden something shot out of a field on the drivers side and in front of my car, i tried to turn but it was too late. I was probably going about 20-25mph. I pulled over to see what I had hit, and to my horror i found that it was a dog. I checked to see if it was still alive but unfortunatley it had passed away. I contaced the owners who lived nearby. I didnt care about my car at this point. I've had a sleepless nights about it.

i've not fully checked out the damage yet, but heres a picture.

IMG_0969_zpsc0556b34.jpg

Will I ever forgive myself?

Sorry to hear about that buddy, must have been horrible, still nothing you could have done.

Hope you get things fixed soon.

Thats horrible mate and very unlucky, had the dog escaped? Poor thing, but nothing your could have done about it. It took a big chunk of bumper with it didnt it?

Looks like to gone across the weak points, reflector hole and washer jet hole, not much material holding it together across there.

Sorry to here that mate ! But you had the decency to contact the owners, and let them know.......some people wouldnt have bothered. So out of a horrible situation you have given the owners and yourself peace of mind as to what happened.

Awful news Ben, so sorry to hear that mate.

As others have said, there was nothing you could of don't to prevent it happening and you did the right thing by informing the owners.

Not that its much consolation, but if the dog had passed away when you checked it, then it sounds like it was a sudden passing and it didn't suffer.

Sorry to hear this, I hit a cat many years ago and couldn't stop being sick after (it didn't die but all I could think of was that a kid might have been looking out a window and seen me hit it) you will forgive yourself its just difficult to get your head round at first, as others said, sounds like there is nothing else you could have done and at least you contacted the owners rather than leave the dog where it was :(

Sad news all round but something to condsider in the cold light of day is why was the dog roaming free.

All owners should be responsible and you may be able to claim off the owners.

They may have pet insurance or i have even heard of cases where you can claim off their house insurance. Could be worth a look on the net.

I know its not an easy call to make while they are grieivng but ultimately they are responsible.

I hit a cat on my way to work some time ago, he ran through traffic on the opposite side of the road and I had no chance of avoiding him. He was clearly badly injured so I wrapped him up in my coat and took him to the vets but unfortunately he died as i got there. It really upset me and I spent the next couple of hours knocking on doors trying to trace his owner but to no avail. I even rang the vets several times in the coming weeks to see if they had been contacted by the owner but again to no avail. Round about this time one of my friends was knocked off his bike while negotiating a roundabout by a car driver who didn't see him. He sustained a fractured scull and badly broken left arm which required plates, pins and wires to repair resulting in a weeks stay in hospital. If he wasn't such a strong man it could have been a lot worse, I'm sure if it'd been a child or a woman it would have probably killed them. The woman who caused the accident didn't even check to see if he was ok, not even a phone call to the hospital never mind a visit. I made more of an effort about the cat, how appalling is that!!

Sorry to hear the bad news about the z and more importantly Sorry to hear about the poor dog but things happen i had a staff run in front off my 106pug {run about shed} and not only did it run straight in front off the car but went under both wheels and nearly tipped the car over at 25mph dog survied and i took owner and dog to vets and payed big vet bill as i felt bad as owner would have put down as they could not afford vet bills :rant: but not willing to see animals suffer due to bad owner , send me a p.m if you need a front bumper as my freind has a spare one i can have also let me know when your free ben have to meet up :thumbs: