Hi all - moving from BMW Z4 to 350z or 370z soon !

Hi everyone,

Found this forum while looking for info on 350/370 z's tonight so thought I'd better join up !

At the moment, I have a 2010 BMW 5 series tourer (family car). Until last year, I also had a BMW Z4, which I loved, but circumstances forced me to sell it.

Hopefully, sometime this year, I'll be getting a replacement for my Z4, and am strongly interested in either a 350z or a 370z.

I'll be scanning through all the threads on here to get as much info as I can on my future purchase.

If anyone else has made a move from a BMW Z4 to a Nissan 350z / 370z I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers !

:thumbs:

Welcome and good luck with the zed hunt.

Pete used to own a z4 and now has 2 zeds, he may be able to help.

Id recommend getting along to a local meet to check out the cars and consider your options

Hello and :welcome: Jack. Joining the forum is a great move to learn about the cars and as Will said, get to a local meet if poss. :thumbs:

Now there's a good idea !

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys :thumbs:

Technically i went to a Z4 from a lancer given that i've never actually owned a 350 personally that decision wasnt quite so questionable!

Not one of my better decisions i'll admit.

What happened there then ?

Be good to hear what you think regards comparing the Z4 to the Nissan :thumbs:

Welcome and good luck with the zed hunt.

Pete used to own a z4 and now has 2 zeds, he may be able to help.

Hmm, somehow I missed this thread :blush: .

Anyway, Welcome to the forum. Will is correct we used to own a Z4, a 58 reg 2.0 so obviously a major power difference. Not a bad car by any means but it just didn't do it for me. I found it uncomfortable on runs of over 20 miles, made my back ache and had a very poor ride, probably down to the run flats. We bought it from a main BMW dealer pre registered but with only delivery mileage and sadly it spent a few days there being repaired on warranty but I guess that's just the luck of the draw. The Z4 we had was a limited edition with Red leather seats and 18 inch alloys which corroded more in the 2 years (and a mere 7,300 miles)that we had it than my RS Turbo alloys which I had for 11 years. Held it's price pretty well though, dropped less than 5k in 2 years.

Pete

Thanks for that Pete.

The Z4 I had was a 3.0 and I too had it from a main dealer. I ditched the run flat tyres as soon as I could in favour of Falken FK452 tyres. It totally transformed the crashy ride. They too were 18" rims. For what it's worth, it was also originally on the 108 split rim wheels and they corroded while you looked at them. Awful. BMW didn't want to know about the problem and the manufacturers (BBS if I recall) folded some time ago so I had to get a new set of rims. Apart from that, the car was without fault throughout my ownership.

Here she is :-

Bern710s.jpg

It was a real head turner. However, now it is getting time to replace it.

Looking around, there aren't many cars in this bracket that look as good as the Z4. I just don't like the new shape Z4 anywhere near as much. The 370z though is a beautiful looking car in both roadster and coupe versions.

In terms of build quality, how did you think the Nissan stood up against the BMW ?

Thanks again :thumbs:

Edited by Jack Carter

The 350z is pretty bulletproof apart from a few well documented issues. If you know what to look for you will be fine. Dealers, including Nissan dealers often havent a clue what spec the car is even when its standard.

My advice, as has been said, get to a meet and you will be able to have a good look at the car and talk to people who understand it.

Also, if you find a car which is a fair distance away, get a local to check it out first to save you a long journey. There are some great cars for sale on the forum and you can search the members posts to get a feel for the car. There are also some real dogs out there.

This was ours.

P1014412.jpg

Sounds strange but the build quality on the BMW was higher but reliability lower. The only very minor problems on the Zed have been cold related, sticking headlight washers and headlights left switched on buzzer failing to work. We think that something in the door mechanism had frozen up.

Pete