Test drove my first Zed and I've got some reservations.

Stormy

Hi all,

Firstly sorry for such a long thread and secondly I appreciate anyone giving up their time. I hope to become a valued member of the community once I pick up a car.

I'm looking for a MY07 350z and the first one I drove looked pristine in the photos and been from a Nissan dealer I put a deposit down on the phone, but on inspection I had a few niggles. Which to be honest I didn't expect from a main dealer. The whole purpose of going to a main dealer in my experience is to get a perfect used car. No marks etc. Otherwise I would go and save £1500 and buy private.

The Nissan dealer informs me this is to be expected of a five to six year old car. Just wanted some advice and if I'm expecting too much I know to reel my neck in a bit and spend more and admit that I'm wrong. Possibly look at a 370z if need be.

It had the Nissan rear parking sensors fitted, but they aren't aligned correctly. You can see that they are uneven. I didn't mention this, but it did bug me, thinking I would get this sorted myself as I didn't want to mention it as this is a bit anal. You can see it in the photos, but in the metal standing behind it, it really sticks out. The reason I didn't mention it is because the rear bumper is not aligned correctly and the dealer explained that the bumper never fitted back correctly when the previous owner had the sensors fitted. Tension rose hear as I just looked at the dealer thinking "OK". I was told "What do you expect on a used car?"

Car has Bridgestone REO50A's on the back and the front offside. With a REO40 on the front nearside. I asked if they would be changed to match. For me budget tyres, or mixed tyres are a big no, no, especially on the same axle. Was told "No, they won't change them, they are legal depth and are the correct size.

The front alloys had light scuffs on the lips of the front rims. Only superficial and about an inch or so long in two places, but ruined an otherwise neat looking car. Mentioned this and was told the "It is a used car". Granted but I'm looking to pay top dollar.

Handbrake travelled all the way to the top. Little to no resistance.

There were a few interior marks around the centre of the dash and the interior door handles which I expected and a few tiny marks on the underside of the front and rear bumpers but you expect this on a used car and they are not too noticeable, a few tiny smears etc on the bumper edge. Tiny that you only notice when up close inspecting a car. I was happy with these.. The rest I didn't want. I only wanted the alloys perfect and the bumper to align. I'll attach some pictures.

Service history:

P1 with Nissan at 8047 miles (12-09-08)

P2with Nissan at 13840 miles (14-09-09)

Full Service (Kwik Fit) at 20723 miles (09-02-11) So five months late and all the Kwik Fit service had listed on the invoice was air filter, oil filter and spark plugs. Plus a brake fluid and aircon recharge.

P1 with Nissan at 24825 miles (08-09-11). So 7 months and 4000 miles later. It appears that the P3 has being performed by Kwik Fit.

P1 with Nissan at 32596 miles (31-08-12). So next is due in May 2013, or 41000 miles. The car is on 36000 miles.

Also at no point did I ask for money off, or try to haggle on price. I just pointed out stuff that I wasn't happy with and not one of them was met with a "We can sort that, or we can come to an arrangement." It was pretty much take it or leave it.

Many thanks,

Stormy.

Edited to remove pictures. I have had the feedback that I required. Dealer deposit refunded.

Edited by Stormy

Crikey. Thanks guys. I don't know why, but I seemed to doubt myself the way the sales guy looked at me and thought perhaps I am being too fussy.

So I'm not being too fussy from what you can see in the pictures?

Edited by Stormy

Walk away and wait for the gem of a car. The bumper would put me off and the attitude of the dealer. Every place ive been to the dealers have been great 'yup we will sort that for you" has been common to every one. If they have their current attitude of 'its a used car what do you expect' what will they be like after the sale if a problem occurs.......bet they wouldnt give a hoot.

However you have to accept that no matter how well looked after a 350 is going to have a few marks, chips and some wear over the years as these cars are meant to be used. When i was looking at 370z's last year i was suprised at the number that had stone chips, scuffs and alloy scratches. I waited till i found a car in near perfect condition as they are out there.

Thanks. I get what you're syaing and wasn't expecting "as new". The couple of light marks on the front wings at the bottom I was happy with and the bonnet was free of stone chips.

Just I expected unmarked alloys and a bumper that fits. The parking sensors wouldn't bother me if they were level as I would get them colour coded. But the car looks cleaner without.

I guess I just wanted a fresh set of eyes as we alll know that when you want something sometimes you go on impulse.

You have the right attitude, dont buy on impulse. Its tricky when you hear the exhaust and take a test drive but keep a level head.

Prime example my first zed was a roadster, it was in great condition but i noticed some issues with the roof. Garage said np we will fix it all so i agreed and bought it. I absolutely loved the car and don't regret it but with hindsight i should have waited and picked a better one. Those roof issues kept resurfacing and it occasionally leaked when it rained -not fun. Eventually it started ruining the fun so i sold it and moved to a 370. Waited for the right one and never looked back.

Funny thing is i look back very fondly On that first zed, despite the leak i loved that car

I have bought my last 5 cars from Nissan dealerships, 4 from one and 1 from another.

Every single one of them has had to have things done to them, but I never ever put a deposite down without looking at one 1st.

Although I have managed to remain on good terms with them all so i need to pick my words carefully as I know that my mate Mehmet

who is one of the dealerships service manager is a forum member and loves reading these stories with his morning coffee:)

After my last puchase and all the hell it caused (which is on here somewhere from when I 1st joined) I was told this:

And don't shoot the messenger as no one can prove or disprove what I am about to say.

This guy told me that they put the cars up for sale and fix the major stuff if there is any, however what they deem as small stuff like reversing thingys being off line,

dings and dents and scuffs they tend to leave them.

Then when someone comes to buy it and take a look, there is a chance they will miss stuff hence the costs are kept down!

Often we miss things and they only come to light when it's to late.

And a few of the guys on here have had the same issues with the same dealership (different location) and told me exactly the same.

Golden rule is never ever place a deposit on a car without seeing it in the flesh.

If you don't know about the marque then take someone with you who does.

My advice is the same as the rest of people on here. Ask for your deposit back and walk away and you defence is item not as described.

Let us know what your budget is and take a look at the forsale section.

:)

It's not the car for you , look for another.

When I bought my gt4 I honestly could not find anything wrong with it , it was pristine but I paid top dollar for it at the time.

Most of the time you do have to comprimise with second hand cars , but if you can pick the right car for a reasonable price you can always get a few things fixed

Edited by jollyranchers

Yes Its common practice amoungst dealers to only fix cosmetic issues once a buyer agrees to the purchase and request it.

Most have a dent fix touch up guy they contract with to do this. Nothing sinister in this, good business logic to me. Why invest more in your stock until its sold.

I agree, walk away, it doesn't sound good at all and if they're unhelpful now then what is the after sales gonna be like if a problem arises later on? Like you said, you were happy to pay the extra for peace of mind from a dealer but this just has alarm bells all over it

Nice to see they filled the bullet holes in the bumper with grommets :lol: . Seriously though, the rear bumper has almost certainly been removed and not replaced correctly, it's miles out, can probably be fixed though I don't see why the dealer can't do this.

Pete

that bumper would drive me nuts as well. I would do what others have said wait for another one to come up for sale. I looked for months and months and found literally a perfect 350 on private sale. spotless. So they are out there you just have to not rush into it.

Thanks all. This weekend it was a genuine think about it moment. I thought I might see on here that it's a simple fix and you guys would be telling me to get it snapped up and stop worrying.

I think I've realised that different people have a different level of what they deem as good condition.

For example my two year old phone was perfect when I received my replacement last week and people want to buy it. I just look after stuff.

Anyone I'm on the way to keep an eye out.

Is it possible that the MY06 cars slip onto the 08 registrations?

Just seen it's got Kwik Fit Service history that shows the previous owner could not give a sh1T about it....!!

...see my post on Kwik Fit..!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I wouldnt get Kwik Fit to change my valve caps... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

RUN A MILE IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

• Like 1