Buy this at this cost... You're off your head!

AMT

I would have one because I think it would be a great road car that you could drive at a good percentage of it's capacity with plenty of feel and feedback, without being intimidating, in the same way that an Alfasud sprint was (albeit that was FWD).

I know one isn't rear wheel drive and the BMW is slow and ...a BMW but look at the stuff you can get for LESS than that GT86, the pace, the quality etc....I'd look at any of these before even considering a new GT86...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301104859639/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/transmission/manual/price-from/20000/seller-type/trade_adverts/fuel-type/petrol/body-type/coupe/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/price-to/25000/make/lotus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/g40dl?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201220471485862/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/transmission/manual/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/price-to/25000/price-from/20000/body-type/coupe/seller-type/trade_adverts/make/porsche/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/g40dl/radius/1500?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201246492266374/sort/pricedesc/make/NISSAN/postcode/g40dl/radius/1500/price-to/25000/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-from/20000/transmission/manual/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/seller-type/trade_adverts/body-type/coupe/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/25280/usedcars?logcode=flp

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302125295307/sort/pricedesc/make/BMW/model/3%20SERIES/postcode/g40dl/radius/1500/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/body-type/coupe/transmission/manual/price-to/25000/fuel-type/petrol/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-from/20000/seller-type/trade_adverts/page/1/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/5344/usedcars?logcode=flp

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302055199238/sort/pricedesc/make/VOLKSWAGEN/postcode/g40dl/radius/1500/transmission/manual/fuel-type/petrol/body-type/coupe/price-to/25000/seller-type/trade_adverts/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-from/20000/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/45127/usedcars?logcode=flp

....It is a good little way of getting into rear wheel drive, but people doing that want to do it cheap. I would think if you have that money, you'll look for something a bit more...substantial?... :shrug:

A lot of engineering has gone into the chassis, it has the lowest centre of gravity of nearly any car on sale - including exotics.

The interior is nice quality aswell, specially compared to a Z.

It has a mechanical limited slip diff, Zeds have to make do with a crappy viscous one.

The pound has taken a hit over the past few years. originally it wouldn't not have cost much more than £20k.

yes, the engine is a bit own on power but thy wanted to stick with an NA engine to stay with the urist nature of the car. If it offers on limit handling at sensible road speeds then it will be more fun than any other cars mentioned in this thread, apart from maybe a cayman but you would have to be going a lot faster, and have a lot more money to enjoy it.

AMT - it's an interesting list but there are downsides to go with all the upsides....depends what compromises you are prepared to live with.

If they were all fruit isn't it a bit like comparing a banana with an apple.

Edited by NeilMH

197BHP out of a 2L 16V N/A isn't bad though, and its quite a lightweight car!

I bet its boring as hell to drive though!

You obviously don't read any of the motoring press.

One of the best cars of the year and totally the opposite to what you say!

Edited by S1 HNK

Mr. Controversial strikes again :ninja::lol: .... I know, I know everyone has their opinion and the interior ...isn't that good lookin'. Personally I wouldn't buy one. But hey, I bought a Nissan with crap plastic, a sound system that isn't that good, isn't much faster than hot hatches and can't drive on snow.... see I can be equal and not just one sided. :D ....just. :p

Go and drive it and then decide if it's worth the cash.

I like some of it (the seats, the comical size exhaust, the balance of the chassis) and I don't like other bits (the rest of the interior, the gear shift, the fact I had no grip). It's a good package and it's a lot more involving than either modern Zed, but I tend to agree that I wouldn't pay that much for one either. Certainly if you want a car that has truly remarkable handling there's nothing else to touch it until you hit Cayman money.

Lotus Elise/Europa? Out handle anything mentioned above for half the money of something like a Cayman...then again make sure you wear your waterproofs ;)

Elise is a great shout, almost identical money now too. I forget about Lotus sometimes :blush:

I think the gt86 is a cracking car! As with all new cars the new price is alot and will drop like a stone! The only thing that I wish they done was supercharge it and put wider rears to get the power down.

What Toyota tried to do with this car is create a good driving experience. It wasn't designed to set lap records but more about driver involvement and being a fun drive.

This is where I think they went wrong. They could have supercharged it to about 250bhp or thereabouts and it would definitely be a good competitor in the current budget sports car market. I hope they bring out a supercharged or turbo version as it would defo get interest from the guys looking for a fast, fun and decent priced sports car.

• Like 2

I would love a GT86 or a BRZ they look to be a fantastic handling car and in these days of congrsted roads and fuel costs I think it is a very very clever market to get into, it makes the Zed look like a big old Dinosaur which basically it is :teeth:

We're all getting on a bit these days :blush:

I think the gt86 is a cracking car! As with all new cars the new price is alot and will drop like a stone! The only thing that I wish they done was supercharge it and put wider rears to get the power down.

What Toyota tried to do with this car is create a good driving experience. It wasn't designed to set lap records but more about driver involvement and being a fun drive.

This is where I think they went wrong. They could have supercharged it to about 250bhp or thereabouts and it would definitely be a good competitor in the current budget sports car market. I hope they bring out a supercharged or turbo version as it would defo get interest from the guys looking for a fast, fun and decent priced sports car.

+1, spot on NeilP

Ohhh dear..... had the first sighting of a GT86 in white, go past me as I was sitting at the lights this afternoon as I was coming home from work... I remember thinking...looks actually... not bad in 'person' lol :blush::lol:

it will be popular with the modding scene; they'll be tons of stuff available for it with in no time. it will appeal to young drivers snd be more insurable than bigger cars. its a proper RWD car and a great starting point for anyone moving into proper cars. 2nd hnd prices should be good and fuel sales, tht and the favourable road tax etc. soon they'll be lots of FI options making it a very competent car. think of it as a blank canvas, then add some nice wide wheels, a nice kit, an FI setup up front and you suddenly have a light weight gremlin.

I prefer the classier look.....

http://i.telegraph.c...-1_2423337b.jpg

or

http://static.autoex...-86-trd-3_0.jpg

The blue one with that wing just looks like a direct decendant from the Celica GT (2006) My mates T-Sport had the GT kit put on and its that same classy blue. Looks the stuff.

Oh and out of curiousity....the insurance for my Zed this year £1060... insurance for a new £25K GT86... £580 (My Coupe was like 800+!)..next quote up was £770.lol not bad. Well the first one is anyway. Hopefully be in the £8-900's for the Z next Nov lol

Edited by AMT

you can't compare a used car with a brand new one. a used one may be a more sensible buy but some poeple just want new cars. if everyone bought used then there wouldn't be any cars on sale at all!

Thata the problem with alot of the posters here, with the 350 now being sub 10k, 27k is a huge way off alot of peoples budgets. I personally think it`s a reasonably price 2 seater fun driver focused coupe that is likely to do well.

As crumbMC said if no-one bought new there wouldn`t be any used cars to buy & the residuals would be much higher like they are in europe. For example my dad bought a L/H spanish registered car in the UK a couple of years back. Took it to his house in spain & nearly 3years on it`s still worth nearly double what he paid for it :teeth:

Thata the problem with alot of the posters here, with the 350 now being sub 10k, 27k is a huge way off alot of peoples budgets. I personally think it`s a reasonably price 2 seater fun driver focused coupe that is likely to do well.

You might be right, I keep forgetting for the money, Nissan were offering a lot of power and a lot of performance. Go to Merc for a 313's pace and it can cost you up to £70K.... (ill never get tired of using this example ;))

Edited by AMT