Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work i go in my zed in the flippin snow!

Diab2005

hmmm well that didnt work very well... spent quarter of an hour clearing all the snow and deicing windows and lights, to then manage to reverse 6 ft out of my parking space, and then be unable to move forwards to pull away... seems my drive is on a very slight incline - can reverse, but not go forwards. so, car is now stuck in middle of car park, blocking my girlfriends car in. Only option is to keep reversing onto the grass, which isnt icy yet and so actually provides some traction.

In the end i had to take my gfs car and she had to take the bus - her car positively pronked (look it up) over the snow and out the car park, its like a little mountain goat with its stubbornness in snowy conditions!

My car has been left abandoned on the other side of the car park for all to see and laugh at - its overoptimistic owner clearly having faffed around, realised its going nowhere and left it. :surrender:

was considering calling it a snow day and saying i couldnt get in, but after arrving at work and seeing the number of M3s in the car park i dont think that excuse would hold up! I did check, and yes they had fresh tyre tracks under the wheels - although theres a rather nice Z4M coupe that clearly hasnt moved since last friday! :lol:

I couldn't get out of my street this monring...the problems with living in a cul de sac and it is uphill. To add to the terror at the top of my street turns left into single track with 6ft brick walls either side. Managed to get halfway up and with each attempt I was compacting more snow. I have turned my street into an ice rink for anyone else.

I'd bought a set of snow socks for my old 5 series but never had to use them before. They are designed for a maximum size of 245/45 R18 but I managed to get them on just. 2 mins installation time apparantly....try 25 and taking the skin off your hands as you try get the bands to the rear of the tyre under a wheel arch filled with razor sharp ice.

But for all their trouble, the snow shoes are amazing..was able to set off in 1st gear where I was previously beached. The only downside with mine is that you can't exceed 25mph which is a pain as I go from really snow filled backstreets on to wet 40mph dual carraigeway and then onto snow filled carpark 10 mins later; so I can't justify taking them back off after getting out the side streets.

Winter tyres are now well on my radar.

Also buying some for my Wifes Passat...can you believe I managed to get 4 x steel wheels for the Passat today for £25 + £26 postage... shame we can't get steels for the 350!

Got bogged down in a flat car park this morning, it just wouldn't go more than a few inches in reverse. Luckily I'd left enough room between the car and the kerb to gradually tun it around. Roads were incredibly slippery, had a few interesting low speed, low throttle slides and tested the ABS out on several occasions. Not much grip on snow is there :lol: .

Pete

Touch wood its all down south for your guys gettin' it, apparently coming to us tomorrow but mostly in the east (he hopes).... but anyway....AUTOSOCKS PURCHASED! .... :yahoo: ...prob be here in time for the snow...leaving..lol Thanks for the help Wasso!

Ps. there feckin' expensive for some circles of material! lol

Edited by AMT

Yep, they will be a last resort in the back of the car and only used on snow and bad ice (gently...lol) I don't want to tear up my...£52...bit of circles :dry: ...(im never gonna get over that am I...better tear the sh*t up when its snowin' n get my a** home :lol:). Only had one bad experience so far on a 60 road 'hill' (i use hill loosely) and i think what....5 corsas passed me as i rolled back down to take another road...good times! :teeth:

PS. just checked my weather ...light snow for a few hours tonight then -2 tomorrow when I go to work...OH YEAH! Can't wait.

Edited by AMT