The 2013 F1 Chat Thread

Beavis

Seems to me it would all work better if the teams were allowed to choose from the full range of tyres on offer with the construction/compound kept the same for the year but with a maximum number of sets and no mandatory change, and let them get on with it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps the FIA should rename themselves to MBIA :D

On second thoughts, if they had made a harsher decision then they would have had to follow suit with Ferrari as they were hardly whiter than white with their testing....... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Utter farce. If I was Pirelli, I'd be pulling out of the sport ASAP to prevent further damage to the brand.

Okay, so us enthusiasts know P Zeroes are crap, but the general public don't and may buy them on the strength of F1. Not any more.

What annoyed me most about the race was the last 8 laps. Best bit of racing we've seen all year, and purely down to the fact that most drivers didn't have to worry about their tyres!

Just get rid of these silly things, run two compounds by all means but make either one capable of lasting 2/3 of a race.

Maybe this is more to do with Silverstone's kerb at turn 4 when you consider the way the rear tyre would be crossing the raised sections identified. Notice how the punctures stopped once the teams warned their drivers about the issue.

Also, it is known that teams run lower pressures than Pirelli state (to help grip) and with a slightly more 'squashed' footprint on lower pressures it makes them more vulnerable.

So maybe Pirelli might not be the one to blame this time, but I agree it's about time the sport got the current situation with tyres sorted out.

Another GP, and yet again Pirelli are main talking point. Pirelli, must be hating it as it's all negative publicity.

I'm actually disappointed that no team had the bollocks to make a stand on principle and retire their cars on safety grounds, having lost all confidence in the tyres. Regardless of what was causing it, there was a very clear safety concern out there. It was luck there was no major incident as a result!

Edited by Badgeronimous

Maybe this is more to do with Silverstone's kerb at turn 4 when you consider the way the rear tyre would be crossing the raised sections identified. Notice how the punctures stopped once the teams warned their drivers about the issue.

Also, it is known that teams run lower pressures than Pirelli state (to help grip) and with a slightly more 'squashed' footprint on lower pressures it makes them more vulnerable.

So maybe Pirelli might not be the one to blame this time, but I agree it's about time the sport got the current situation with tyres sorted out.

Perhaps, but when teams ran at the 2psi extra the tyres were delaminating in the middle, just as you'd expect from an overinflated tyre. I believe that Pirelli have designed the current batch around the fact that most teams run them low anyway.

Interesting that on commentary they mentioned a lot of the major teams have complained and asked Pirelli to change construction but teams such as Force India have blocked the change due to the fact they are actually getting some decent results because of the tyre.

Perhaps, but when teams ran at the 2psi extra the tyres were delaminating in the middle, just as you'd expect from an overinflated tyre. I believe that Pirelli have designed the current batch around the fact that most teams run them low anyway.

agree with you both but lets not forget and i think that i'm right in saying this, the curb in question wasn't a new feature for this years race so why wasn't it an issue last season or the season before, it still points to the fact that pirelli just haven't got the compounds/construction right on this years tyres

• Like 1

Seen the Pirelli press release? They're blaming the teams for running the tyres on the wrong side...

'A SERIES OF DIFFERENT CAUSES LED TO THE TYRE FAILURES AT SILVERSTONE: REAR TYRES MOUNTED THE WRONG WAY ROUND, LOW TYRE PRESSURES, EXTREME CAMBERS

AND HIGH KERBS

'THE 2013 TYRES DO NOT COMPROMISE SAFETY IF USED IN THE CORRECT WAY

'TO DEVELOP AND MANAGE SOPHISTICATED TYRES SUCH AS THOSE USED IN 2013, IT IS ESSENTIAL TO HAVE ACCESS TO REAL TIME TYRE OPERATING DATA. CHANGE IN THE RULES HAS BEEN REQUESTED

'ARRANGED WITH FIA WINTER TEST AND DURING THE SEASON FOR THE

DEVELOPMENT OF THE TYRES

THE KEVLAR BELT REAR TYRES TESTED IN FREE PRACTICE IN CANADA

WILL BE USED IN GERMANY

'FROM HUNGARY THERE WILL BE A NEW RANGE OF TYRES, WHICH COMBINES THE 2012 STRUCTURES WITH THE 2013 COMPOUNDS. THESE WILL BE TESTED AT SILVERSTONE, USING THE RACE DRIVERS AND 2013 CARS, DURING THE YOUNG DRIVER TEST

'PAUL HEMBERY: "WHAT HAPPENED AT SILVERSTONE UPSETS US. WITH THESE SOPHISTICATED TYRES IT'S VITAL FOR US TO SEE DATA SUCH AS TEMPERATURE, PRESSURES AND CAMBER. WHILE WAITING FOR A REVISION TO THE RULES, WE WILL SUPPLY TYRES THAT ARE EASIER TO MANAGE."

Apologies for the crap c+p.

Unbelievable that Pirelli would suggest that F1 teams can't put tyres on the right way round, is that really true, i don't watch it enough anymore to know what's really going on? Having said that I did watch the race this weekend and agree with Dan's earlier comment that the last few laps were the most exciting racing I've seen for a long time.

• Like 1

WTF? Seriously? What F1 team in their right mind would put tyres on the wrong way without testing and being 100% sure it would a) give them an advantage and b ) get them to the end of the race when there's X millions and a competitive racing season on the line... let alone 6 teams all making the same stupid mistake. IMHO Pirelli need to back that comment up quickly to avoid even more bad press.

EDIT: Changed B) to b ) to avoid the cool smiley... grrrr...

EDIT2: OH FFS re: cool smiley!

Edited by HaydnH

It's very telling that none of the teams have come out and denied it. They would've been very quick to do so if Pirelli were wrong.

I have no doubt that if they thought it might give them an advantage, they'd run them the wrong way round.

Look slike Pirelli back tracked slightly: http://www.theweek.co.uk/formula-1/f1-2013/53936/pirelli-tyres-explode-british-grand-prix-row

The company's statement explained that its rear tyres were designed to be used only on one side of the vehicle. "The tyres have an asymmetric structure, which means that they are not designed to be interchangeable," it revealed. The implication was that the tyres that failed were being used on the wrong side of the car.

But Pirelli also accepted that switching tyres was not forbidden and said it had "underestimated" how significant it could be.

I guess if you have a clockwise/anticlockwise track you'd want to swap tyres around at certain times as the outside tyre would incur more wear?