The 2013 F1 Chat Thread

Beavis

It just seems a bit "staged" to me, its more about who can find the best strategy using the two tyre options. A hard tyre should almost do a complete race and the soft should be half race distance but at a quicker pace. There seems to be too much difference between the two in my eyes at the moment.

There seems to be too much difference between the two in my eyes at the moment.

Yeah you're right there. it would be better if compounds should be more closely matched.

when you see people on opposing strategies, such as "prime, prime, option" and "option, prime, prime" the difference in speed results in boring racing. they just let each other past as they dont want to damage their overall race time.

• 2 weeks later...

just turned it off, im getting more and more disillusioned with f1 every time i watch it. this isnt racing. its 22 cars managing tires, brakes and fuel

Edited by 350 Russ

How I'm watching the Spanish GP

ACF9EDF1-AA35-4701-88B1-2F16784C8A28-8767-00000D30AA8E88CC_zps22cb3038.jpg

Left wife on the beach. ;)

Maybe should've stayed on the beach mate, that was sooooo boring I turned off and watched Watford v Leicester :)

what a finish! was going to pop into watford for some last minute holiday bits but thought better of it.

Have to agree guys. :yawn:

The best bit was leaving the the wife, so not being told to put lotion on every 10min.

Although did manage to down 5 pints of the usual disgusting Spanish lager. :yuk:

Roll on Monico.

F1 is becoming about tyres.

It's ruining the sport!

Lots of post race chats taking place with team managers and drivers surrounding the "tyre" issue. All managers saying they dont want to spend all weekend trying to work out strategies to give them the best chance of a decent finish and trying to set the cars up to use the tyres on that basis and all drivers saying they dont want to drive at "x" % to make the strategies work.

Lets hope something changes and soon. :yawn:

It's the same after nearly every race, tyres, tyres, tyres.

I don't want to go back to the processional days of the early 00's, but this is the opposite extreme and is just frustrating to watch. I don't want to watch drivers tip toe around a track and not bothering to defend position because their nursing tyres. I don't want the worlds best drivers to look like they are struggling.

Unfortunately Pirelli are only fulfilling their design brief on these tyres, which says a lot about what the F1 bosses think of their viewers.

It has to be said though - if the tyres lasted all race an the red bulls just swanned off into the distance as a result people would be just as frustrated.

Just give them twice as much horsepower as they can actually use and you will always get good racing. When you watch monacco in a couple of weeks you will see what i mean here. when the drivers have to modulate the throttle a lot more, driver skill shines through, and it also brings in propper tyre management from smoothness where the likes of JB are usually good - a bit of tyre management is OK. Unfortunately though, next years 4WD electric hybrid fuel saving crap is the opposite way to this.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised though. i'm thinking F-zero-x style :p

Edited by CrumbMC

Unfortunately Pirelli are only fulfilling their design brief on these tyres, which says a lot about what the F1 bosses think of their viewers.

It has to be said though - if the tyres lasted all race an the red bulls just swanned off into the distance as a result people would be just as frustrated.

Just give them twice as much horsepower as they can actually use and you will always get good racing. When you watch monacco in a couple of weeks you will see what i mean here. when the drivers have to modulate the throttle a lot more, driver skill shines through, and it also brings in propper tyre management from smoothness where the likes of JB are usually good - a bit of tyre management is OK. Unfortunately though, next years 4WD electric hybrid fuel saving crap is the opposite way to this.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised though. i'm thinking F-zero-x style :p

Monaco will most likely be won during qualifying and whoever gets on pole as per the norm, there is no racing at Monaco, except perhaps in the pits, however it is a spectacle for sure.

I thought it was funny on the team radio when Lewis exclaimed, "i have just been overtaken by a Williams" , he was not best pleased, lol.

Maybe its a good thing, i certainly dont think you would get Force India at the sharp end, maybe even Lotus Renault and Maclaren near the back??

I certainly dont want to see a procession but think they are a long way of what they would actually want from Pirelli.

Monaco will most likely be won during qualifying and whoever gets on pole as per the norm, there is no racing at Monaco, except perhaps in the pits, however it is a spectacle for sure.

I know it can be processional but that wasn't really my point. I meant that it demonstrates driving dynamics that make for an interesting race due to the relative lack of grip available from downforce. unfortunately as it is so narrow there aren't many places to pass, but imagine Catalunya if they were balancing a car with the same power:grip ratio as they have in Monaco.

Edit: this is also why Monza is often a fun race as it is low drag but also has slow speed corners. This is where the focus on entertainment should be IMHO, not on tyre degradation. A simple fix would be narrower wings

Edited by CrumbMC

Nothing wrong with having tyres that fall apart in principle, but just let the teams have as many as they want. That way, they can either rag the cars to the limit and try and make up the time lost in the extra pit stops, or they can drive a bit more carefully and try to preserve the tyres and do less stops. It's because they have a set amount that also need to be used during practice and qualy that is causing these issues really.

Nothing wrong with having tyres that fall apart in principle, but just let the teams have as many as they want. That way, they can either rag the cars to the limit and try and make up the time lost in the extra pit stops, or they can drive a bit more carefully and try to preserve the tyres and do less stops. It's because they have a set amount that also need to be used during practice and qualy that is causing these issues really.

I see your point but at a qualifying pace the tyres would probably only last about 3 laps which is bordering on reduiculous

I also vote for this. Let them use whatever compound they want, and as many sets as they want. That way its impossible to second guess strategies of the opposition, let them start on scrubbed or fresh tyres of their choosing, then everyone is in the same boat, and its up to the team if they want to play a long game and go super hard compound and try to one stop, or go super soft and do a four stopper but rag the tyres to within an inch of their life each time. This with the return of refuelling makes it impossible for teams to gues the weight and tyre degredation of others, so they can concentrate on trying to be faster, rather then just making their tyres last longer than the next team.