The 2013 F1 Chat Thread

Beavis

For those without SKY or who prefer BBC coverage......

BBC 1 and 2 are covering practice as well as qualifying and the race live in China (If we can see through the haze in China)

So set your alarms/recorders for 02.55 Friday morning (BBC2 - Practice 1) then 06.55 (BBC2 - Practice 2). On Saturday 03.55 (BBC2 - Practice 3) then 06.00 on BBC1 for Qualifying. Race day coverage on Sunday on BBC1 starts at 07.00.

You have to feel for Webber, not given enough fuel and then not getting the wheel on right! He seems to get all the bad luck while Vettel seems to have all the luck, sure he is a better driver but watching him get punted mid corner at the last round last year it seemed almost impossible he could go onto last the race.

Good race though, Alonso is just class imho.

You have to feel for Webber, not given enough fuel and then not getting the wheel on right! He seems to get all the bad luck while Vettel seems to have all the luck, sure he is a better driver but watching him get punted mid corner at the last round last year it seemed almost impossible he could go onto last the race.

He's picked up a 3 place grid penalty for the next race too, causing an avoidable accident. Several other drivers under investigation too, including Vettel, Button, Grosjean for using DRS under yellow flags.

Pete

Kimi is starting to irritate me. The whole Mr Miserable thing just isn't funny any more.

Oh c'mon whose being miserable his race radio commenrs arre worth a watch alone . Feel sorry for his race mechanic though scrub that no I don't they earn good dosh.Kimi + lotus great viewing and what a great car they have produced .

Must say also I'm not a Alonso fan but he is the best driver out there and what he did with that Ferrari last season was awsome work.

It used to be funny. How he's acting like a spoilt child. How is it funny when someone asks him a question that you'd quite like an answer to, but he just shrugs his shoulders and mumbles something crap and sulky? The least he could do is attempt to give an answer to the watching fans.

I don't care he's grumpy when driving, I totally get that, but not when he's doing interviews.

but hate Schumacher.

He is German its compulsory, just like Vettel :lol:

Personally i prefer to see Kimmi shrug his shoulders than hear some pr groomed pc answer which is only tells you what you want to hear, or what the pr gurus want you to hear :yuck:

It used to be funny. How he's acting like a spoilt child. How is it funny when someone asks him a question that you'd quite like an answer to, but he just shrugs his shoulders and mumbles something crap and sulky? The least he could do is attempt to give an answer to the watching fans.

I don't care he's grumpy when driving, I totally get that, but not when he's doing interviews.

I expect its because 99% of questions asked of him he's answered 99 times before to the point of bugger you . Bit like asking a question on here and getting a do a search responce I guess. He's here to race and not to do PR.

Kimi is starting to irritate me. The whole Mr Miserable thing just isn't funny any more.

+1 He just seems to be trying too hard now at it, and because of that it no longer works. Looked like a big act after the qualifying yesterday when they did the drivers press conference.

BBC 1 and 2 are covering practice as well as qualifying and the race live in China (If we can see through the haze in China)

So set your alarms/recorders for 02.55 Friday morning (BBC2 - Practice 1) then 06.55 (BBC2 - Practice 2). On Saturday 03.55 (BBC2 - Practice 3) then 06.00 on BBC1 for Qualifying. Race day coverage on Sunday on BBC1 starts at 07.00.

That's not haze Cyclops, that'll be your eye :lol:

That's not haze Cyclops, that'll be your eye :lol:

I am pleased to say it all looked very clear yesterday and with no one-lensed specs needed :D:lol:

Rumour in the paddock at the WEC this weekend was that Webber has signed a 5 year contract with Porsche who are to enter the championship with a LeMans prototype 1 next year. TBH i hope he does it. I'd like to see him race in GTs again.

Rumour in the paddock at the WEC this weekend was that Webber has signed a 5 year contract with Porsche who are to enter the championship with a LeMans prototype 1 next year. TBH i hope he does it. I'd like to see him race in GTs again.

Makes sense really, I think his F1 days are numbered.

Pete

Makes sense really, I think his F1 days are numbered.

Pete

TBH i think he is probably sick of being the number 2 in that team. kobayashi, bruno senna, fisichella, heidfelt an other good ex-f1 drivers (many who have been kicked in favour of rich daddy drivers) are racing in WEC this year. as well as Freddy Mackowieki who is the best racing driver ever. managed to get my pic with him on Saturday :cloud9: while Senna was getting mobbed.

i must emphasise how this is a RUMOUR though.

What are peoples thoughts on tyres? I mention this after hearing some of the drivers are at 80% to save tyres and this weekend really highlighted tyre issues.

Are Pirelli not giving what is needed in that department or are the constructors not making best use of what is on offer?

Pirelli are doing exactly what they're told to do, i.e. provide tyres that are crap and don't last. Blame FOM/FIA for this.

I don't mind it so much, but what I would like to see is each team being given a set of option tyres for each session they compete in during qualifying. At least let them go batshit mental during qualy, then let them put whatever tyres they want on for the race depending on how they want to play it.

I perhaps know its the holy grail but would like to see the soft tyres lasting say half the time of the harder option but give them the time advantage to allow for a pitstop, so effectively they work out the same, but then it comes down to drivers perhaps making them last longer or find a better set up on hard or soft. Not sure i like this "falling off the cliff" as it doesnt seem to matter how you drive, they go at the same point give or take a lap or two.

Perhaps it would be better just to let them use whatever tyres they want during the race. If they want to go on the option and rag the nuts off the car but take an additional stop, that might be quicker than using the slower prime tyre and saving a stop. That they have to use both right now is not helping matters.

That they have to use both right now is not helping matters.

Maybe, but at some circuits last year the teams learned to make the primes last almost an entire race distance. I'm not saying they will do the same this year as the tyres seam to be made out of yoghurt, but the teams are very good at adapting. If you take away the mandatory pit stop you might end up with drivers going even slower and trying to 0 stop.

It's hard to say what to do with the qualifying and tyres. Any change will no doubt have unforeseen consequences. I do think there needs to be more encouragement to get everyone setting a lap time but giving out tyres left right and centre is not the solution. The teams qualifying further back would say that it's unfair to give the front runners more tyres.

I think the biggest problem is that the best race and qualifying set-ups (with the odd execption) seem very different from each other. i know there have always been differences but at the moment it's a bit OTT. for example this weekend, Rosberg got pole in a car with a great front end but was punished in the race because it meant his rears fell to bits.

Vettell was a class act yesterday and together with Nico, who defended brilliantly as he always seems to, provided some of the most exiting opening laps of a grand prix in ages.

Perez also upped his game yesterday. I had thought McLaren made a bit of a booby taking him on but he showed real pace and determination yesterday. unlike Jenson who spent the whole day whining that people were trying to pass him - Hello, your in a motor race!

The last place i expect to see good racing is Bahrain. But the drivers all seemed to see red yesterday and there was some great racecraft. Unfortunately i was watching on Sky go and was screaming at my computer when it buffered every 30 seconds! :rant:

looking forward to spain!