The 2013 F1 Chat Thread

Beavis

Each drivers already gets 18 sets of tyres every race, current rules also allow an extra set if both practice and qualy are wet. Obviously around half of those are wet weather tyres and some have to be returned even if they're unused. While I think removing the limit of tyres could be a good idea I'm not sure that Pirelli have the capacity to make an unlimited amount of tyres and transport them around the world to every race. Another possible problem is that teams would quickly work out which were the best tyres for each circuit and we'd finish up with the teams all employing the same strategy.

Pete

I don't understand why the tyres are mandated. If it's one of these cost cutting measures, just introduce an overall budget cap and send the teams off. I preferred the good old days when they bought tyres from the supplier they wanted, refuelled when they wanted, then all the manufacturers in the chain (tyres, engine, chasis, etc) are trying to push the limits of performance - which is the whole point of F1. This half-hearted, "you must use this bit and you can't develop your own, change this every 4 races" is totally against the spirit of innovation in F1 IMHO. Yes there must be regs like engine size and aero rules. If you want close individual racing, give everyone the same car. If you want a proper team sport, let them run with a budget.

Also the overtake buttons that have been installed, it's practically impossible to defend a position. They should only work when the cars are OVER a second apart, bringing them closer together to race, not to allow drivers to simply breeze past when they've already caught up.

I'm not a Red Bull fan, but it seems the whole rule book is designed to slow them down, which is a fundamentally rubbish way to run a sport.

Yesterday was the first race i have not fully watched in about 5 years - simply due to this appaling tyre saving farce that it seems to have become. Im not interested in it at all.... Why cant a driver drive to the best of his ability, pushing the envelope every single lap anymore? That's what motorsport is about, not the tacticians working out how slowly you need to drive to in order to save yourself a pitstop. Load of rubbish.

last year was okay but the 3 or 4 seasons prior to that were perfect. :shrug:

Isnt the control tyre supposed to have made the racing closer, just like in MotoGp, where again it has not had the desired effect.

And if you say you want to see them push the limits of performance, introducing a budget certainly isnt going to see that happen, as the performance will be budgeted. I think a few years ago they talked about budgets and most manufacturers threatened to walk!!

I think the answer is just sort out these tyres, i want to see drivers at 100% all of them, not 80% to make tyres last! They also mentioned on commentary Force India probably employ half the people that Red Bull do and they were just a few points behind, hardly seems right does it?

That's what motorsport is about, not the tacticians working out how slowly you need to drive to in order to save yourself a pitstop. Load of rubbish.

This is one of the main problems, you have teams that under fuel their cars, hoping that there'll be a safety car or two and if there isn't they just have to drive around at 90% to save fuel.

Another alternative would be to throw F1 open to multiple tyre companies, although there'd be a strong possibility that we'd have a 2 speed grid :shrug: .

Pete

Lewis' comments regarding not being able to drive any slower should be a wake up call to the sport. That's simply not good PR to have, and the whole world heard that too.

Yeah that's not good for the sport. Brundle sounded like he was about to cry.

This is one of the main problems, you have teams that under fuel their cars, hoping that there'll be a safety car or two and if there isn't they just have to drive around at 90% to save fuel.

I don't think this was really much of a problem. It did catch some drivers out but they still push very hard in the braking and cornering, unlike when they're conserving tyres.

We just have to hope that the teams figure out a way they can run the tyres fast. This year is an end of an era for F1 - being the last time we're ever likely to see and hear them with a normally aspirated engine and it would be nice if they can turn it around and give the V8s a propper send off.

I hope Pirelli are allowed to make a decent tyre for next year. even though i'm not a fan of the forthcoming hybrid drive-trains, i am very interested to see how they perform and which loop-holes will be exploited. If the tyres fall to bits after 5 laps then it will ruin a lot of that excitement.

The tyres don't need to change 'that' much.

However you should be getting around 20-25 laps out a set of primes, and 15 or so laps out a set of options driven at good pace, and a bigger performance window. The tyres just now are far, far too sensitive to very small changes. A bit more durability and predictability is all I would like to see. I don't want to see tyres that don't go off, I don't want to see tyres that behave entirely predictable for all teams, but I don't want to see tyres that go off after 3 laps, and few teams can work out how they are going to respond to their car either.

I wouldn't think tyres will be an issue in Monaco due to the low speed, but the current tyres in Canada, one of the very worst circuits for tyres, we'd likely be seeing 5 and 6 stops for most teams. I'm glad they are changing it, I just hope they don't change it too much the other side of the coin.

Edited by Badgeronimous

well, maybe not 10, but the fastest lap was set by Gutierez (lol, shows how hard the front runners were pushing!!) at 1:26.2 which is 6 seconds of the Qualy pace, which is quite a lot.

Bear in mind that most of the race was run at a considerably slower pace than this.

Watching the on-boards, I get closer to the limits of grip in my work Citroen Berlingo van than those guys were on Sunday. it was like watching one of your track videos :stir:

Pirelli are really struggling to come to grips with the problems and are blaming the tyre situation on the lack of test days. They currently test their tyres on a 2010 F1Toyota which bears little or no relationship to the 2013 cars.

Pete

Pirelli aren't the problem, it's purely down to the teams. They had these tyres to work with during the close season tests, and some of them just cannot get them to work for them full stop. Pirelli have done exactly what they were told to do.

Pirelli aren't the problem, it's purely down to the teams. They had these tyres to work with during the close season tests, and some of them just cannot get them to work for them full stop. Pirelli have done exactly what they were told to do.

Some of them....pretty well all of them actually!

The pre season testing was carried out at a time of extremely low temperatures, even in Spain it was jolly cold (less than 10 degrees ambient) and they were running at track temperatures that they will never encounter in a GP. The teams didn't learn an awful lot, some just got lucky.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I bet you wouldn't have the same opinion if i told you that you had to run 452s on your 911 :p