The 2013 F1 Chat Thread

Beavis

Trouble is, he's exactly right. As much as I love Webber, his mindset is exactly as Marko calls it.

+1 but making comments like that about your own team members is not going to help their situation, and quite frankly if was Mark it would make me consider my options.

Good post that, and i agree with both of them.

Also i'm sick of all this stuff i read about, "Vettel is crap, he only wins because he has a fast car." This is a load of Bollocks. He is an extremely competant driver. Webber's pretty handy and Vettel often makes him look daft in terms of pace. and he has shown numerous time s that he CAN race from the back.

Think this is quite true, (from the comments section in that article):

"Hamilton- Fastest man out there i think atm , seems on very good form. However acts like a 16' year old, makes stupid decisions, draws the wrong kind of attention to himself. If lewis becomes more composed and calculated then he will win more WDC."

I'm interested to see how Perez will get on at Mclaren.

Apparently Lotus spotted this picture from Kimi's Ferrari days and are planning a similar mod on the lotus. They reckon it could gain them upwards of a second:

kimiquali_zpsbd5e180c.jpg

Doubt Mercedes will do any good next year as all their development continues to focus on the 2014 Regs and that is the reason why Lewis decided his future was best served there and grabbed the opportunity when he did rather than be left hoping a seat was available later this year.

Any update on what (new) engines McLaren will be using in 2014?

http://www.f1-fansit...ther-f1-engine/

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/86012.html

One would assume Honda, such as mentioned in that thread. we can only guess though.

"Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug believes the sport will enter the new era with just three engine brands on the grid." - I thought old Norby had stepped down?

Okay, let's start some predictions then which are miles too early as we haven't even seen the cars yet, but what the hell!

Drivers: Alonso 1st, Vettel 2nd, Webber 3rd

Constructors: Red Bull 1st, Ferrari 2nd, Lotus 3rd

Button to finish ahead of Perez but only just, both to finish behind Massa and Grosjean.

just been reading up a bit more about the 2014 engines here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21016926

This part worries me;

"And at the heart of the rules is energy efficiency - engines will be allowed to use no more than 100kg of fuel in a race and the engines will have a fuel-flow rate restriction of 100kg per hour."

"This, he says, is "a technology directly aligned with what road cars are doing" and the result will be a "thinking drivers' formula to get the most out of the cars and the available fuel energy"."

Does this mean were going to see fast cars running out of fuel before the end of the race and cars who have plodded round saving fuel winning? Also with a limit on fuel does that mean that races such as Monza with a lot more full throttle will now be much slower because they don't have the fuel available to go flat out down all of the straights?

Maybe with the new ERS end better fuel efficiency the fuel limits wont be a problem, but if it is, we are going to have some very frustrated fans watching cars crawl around the circuit so they can make it to the end of the race on a thimble of fuel.

No different than it is now, they still only have a certain amount of fuel and have to manage it throughout the race by turning down the mixture or using less revs.

Yeah but with the V8s they choose to put in less fuel so they don't carry around the extra weight, whereas these new reg's seem to force it on them much more. I'm sure they have considered the point I made, but with a whole new engine spec' with unlimited turbo size, I wouldn't be suprised if one of the engine manufacturers developed an engine that would allow them to run at the max fuel rate allowed, which would burn up all of the allowed fuel in 1 hour, meaning that, hypothetically, in a 90 min race they would only be running the engine at 2/3rds power.

I guess we will find out after the first race weekend when looking at quali vs race engine modes.

Looking forward to this year, last year of the V8's too. Its going to be a tough season season, probably even closer than 2012. Lots of new designs going on,but keeping an eye on 2014 too. Cant wait for it, bring it on!

Treated myself to a couple of Diecast models last night.

I've always wanted one of these but they're usually so expensive. There is a shop called Model Zone in the Trafford Center and they have the 1:32 scale diecasts for between £60 and £100. However yesterday they had a big sale on and had some of the cheaper Burago models available... and i got a pair for only £20! The detail on them is superb, and i spent a long time looking at the more expensive counterparts and i honestly can see no difference.

IMG_0004_zps77c84e66.jpg

IMG_0006_zps7ab7f1ad.jpg

IMG_0005_zps897de0d3.jpg

IMG_0007_zps798adaeb.jpg