Can you use run flat tyres?

maxi-glasgow

I believe Pete is right, but more importantly... Are you being serious? You've bought a 370z and you're now gonna get some run flats as they have been offered to you cheap. IMO run flats will ruin the handling and performance of the car. They can't compete with normal tyres. The sidewalls are made so tough that it just makes cars horrible to drive hard. They are for lazy people.

TBH if you don't drive your car hard, then go for it. But if you do enjoy driving her with some vigour every now and then, you're gonna be so so dissappointed!!!

Runflats are OEM on many performance cars including the Nissan R35 GT-R.

Providing they are a premium brand then I would be inclined to give them a try, however be prepared to have your ride compromised as the guys have said above.

DO IT, and let us know how it goes. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

I think you need a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (or a warning light) to get run flats through the M.O.T :shrug: . Could be wrong though.

Pete

My 370z HAS tyre pressure monitoring or is this a different type system to what is required for MOT?

As long as there's some kind of low pressure warning light or gauge then you'll be O.K. Presumably the monitors are inside the wheels? I believe that all new cars sold from 2012 onwards in The E.U are fitted with TPMS by law.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Basically +1 to comments above but, more seriously, you can't put a RFT onto an alloy wheel which was made to hold a non-RFT, but you can put a non-RFT onto an alloy made to hold a RFT. It's something to do with a 'lip' on the alloy that holds the RFT in place will also keep a non-RFT secure whereas if that lip wasn't there (like on a non-RFT style alloy) then there's nothing to hold a RFT in place so dangerous. At least this was always the explanation I understood.

If you want cheaper tyres then go with something like Falken - I've had these before and have been really pleased with them.

There's a difference between running runflats on a car that has had its chassis and suspension tuned for them, and running them on a car that was designed for normal pneus. ;)

I wouldn't touch them. Not even at £100 a corner.

+1.... My 123d comes with run flats as standard and the whole chasis / suspension as been designed to work best with them.

There's a difference between running runflats on a car that has had its chassis and suspension tuned for them, and running them on a car that was designed for normal pneus. ;)

+1.... My 123d comes with run flats as standard and the whole chasis / suspension as been designed to work best with them.

...and it's still hard a fook ;) . Has the Zed gone Stew or are you a multicar owner?

...and it's still hard a fook ;) . Has the Zed gone Stew or are you a multicar owner?

lol!!! yeah its certainly a "firm" ride, but I find my 123d seems to actually handle better than my zed did. I certainly feel a lot more confident in it.

Yep, the zed`s gone mate. It was killing me in running costs / depreciation, so I part ex`d it for a 6 month old 123d M-Sport Coupe. Whilst its no zed its still good fun. 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, over 200bhp and 300lb/ft torque (which is the same torque as an e92 M3) as standard and you can remap it up to 270bhp and 400lb/ft. Im getting nearly 50mpg out of it, so thats twice the mpg I was getting out of the zed! :)

Good choice, I keep checking them out, but the new M135i would be my first choice if getting that sized car, it's an astonishing blend of pace (5.0 - 0-60), price (under £30k in basic clothes) and efficiency (can get decent mpg but obviously goes tits-up if you nail it!). Great deals to be had on one too - I was offered one with basic essential spec (nav, heater seats, etc) for £400p/m with £5k down which is about the equity in my car.

That said, Im trying to keep costs down, which rules our the M-lite hence the checking out the 123d (and 330d).

Enjoy your 1er, they are belting cars.

• 1 year later...

Can't comment about the 370z really, as I only bought mine yesterday !

I did previously own a BMW Z4 though that had runflats and it was as crashy as F*** - Hit a pot hole and it felt like I'd pressed the ejector seat button. I dropped the run flats at the first opportunity (flogged them on the bay) and got a set or Falken FK452's. The result was unbelievable. Totally transformed the ride. Grip was massively improved too especially from cold.

Did exactly the same on my current 5 series. Again - transformed the ride when I switched to convention Hankook tyres.

My new 370Z has runflats fitted at the moment ( I pick the car up next week) but they will also be dropped at the very first opportunity for either a set of Falkens or a set of Hankooks.

Also if you have runflats and get a puncture you won't know about it, continue driving with building heat from the additional friction causing it to explode.

You have to check them regularly to ensure thy haven't one down. Also as stated earlier the alloys don't have the additional lip and more prone to deflating...