Modified Nationals *Pic Heavy*

Wow! what a hectic and tiring weekend, and I thought Wales was bad. I have had a fantastic weekend tho was such a great experience and I have learnt a lot and got some ideas on how i will move forward with the progression of my Zed. It all started on Friday, I was up early and gave the car a good old clean before the 40 minute drive to Peterborough showground. On arrival the place was hectic and slighly disorganised unfortunately. I finally found out where I had to put my car but they were seriously behind schedule. I had intended on waxing my car once I got there but time was really ticking on. A friend came with me and we went to put up the tent while we waited for them to finish. Finally got into the indoor arena about 3 which meant we had a couple of hours to get the car sorted.

Here is how the car looked, I was fairly happy but would of loved some more time.

20120601_183540.jpg

Friday night had a brilliant atmosphere and set the scene for the whole weekend. I had a few drinks but was shattered and retired to the tent around midnight, my friend/helper didnt roll in till 4am :lol:

Up at 7.30am gave me another couple of hours with the car. It was fairly clean but wasnt shining like i wanted, I tried a new quick detailer from Poorboys but was not very happy with the outcome.

I was looking around at everyone else and some people were still cleaning at 1pm I still didnt know what the judging was all about so i started asking around. They judge the cars throughout the whole weekend, so will look at how the car changes during the show. 2 judges came round, one looks at the paint and finish the other looks at the mods and bits that make the car unique. They asked to look in the boot and under the bonnet which was a suprise as I hadnt spent much time cleaning as I had not expected to show them off. I also noticed the paint guy spent a lot of time looking for swirl marks and imperfections which made wish I had proper detailed the car before the show but just didnt have time. I felt really under prepared!!!

I had a talk with my friend and saturday afternoon we were both so tired we decided that we were gonna have a early night and get up early and properly sort the car. We were up at 6.30 and managed to get on the car at 7am. We quickly stripped off the protection, de-swirled, a full coat of wax and a quick detail on top. I also sepnt a little bit of time cleaning the engine bay a bit to make it look more presentable. It is amazing what you can achieve in a few hours when there is 2 of you.

This is how it looked for the Sunday

20120603_094310.jpg

I dont think i have ever seen it so shiney and the pictures dont really do it justice but i was very happy. On the whole the car got some great attention and i got some great feedback. I really didnt realise how big Modified Nationals was but people spend a lot of money just for this one show. The car that one the best bodywork awatd had only been resprayed days before, you cant get much better than that can ya!

Here is the top 25 area and some of the cars

20120603_144104.jpg

Best Bodywork

20120603_143342.jpg

Best Interior

20120603_142936.jpg

Dont seem to have pictures of best engine or best sound system

Best show car

20120603_143049.jpg

Some of the other 25

20120603_143403.jpg

20120603_143354.jpg

20120603_143330.jpg

20120603_143311.jpg

20120603_143301.jpg

20120603_143251.jpg

20120603_143240.jpg

20120603_143229.jpg

20120603_143218.jpg

20120603_143059.jpg

20120603_143028.jpg

20120603_143015.jpg

20120603_143001.jpg

Most waxed car - The owners were never not cleaning the car all weekend, I counted at least 3 coats of wax.

20120603_142927.jpg

Fully carbon :cloud9:

20120603_142950.jpg

To sum up it was a fantastic show and if I got a chance to go again I will prepeare better like many get the car professionally detailed before had. The show is definately one for the calendar as it was very well layed out and the organisation once the show had started was good. Camping was really a great idea and the facilities were pretty good as it goes. Cant wait for the next one but for now im shattered and need some sleep :yawn:

Well done Mark for making the effort and delving into the unknown.

It's a shame all the other cars were teenagers first cars, except for a few.

There's a lot of preparation for these things and shocked you'd not done the engine bay, but at least you know for next time.

Good effort car looked the best IMO.

Did you get any free bits from AutoGlym?

Nice one mark! Glad you enjoyed the experience.

To me, yours looks by far the best there as it has been modded in a mature way and is a propper car in the first place. :lol:

I know so much time, money and effort goes into these cars but to me that just looks like a full on chav lineup With the exception of yours and that little grey Honda.

I must be getting old. :wheelchair:

+100's Well done Mark, glad you got it looking how you wanted it, I notice there were a few there who attended Japex, thanks for posting your pix, she certainly looks v shiney and bright. The weather here is grey and dull but your car made me smile........................as usual :thumbs::thumbs:B):clap:

Nice one mark! Glad you enjoyed the experience.

To me, yours looks by far the best there as it has been modded in a mature way and is a propper car in the first place. :lol:

I know so much time, money and effort goes into these cars but to me that just looks like a full on chav lineup With the exception of yours and that little grey Honda.

I must be getting old. :wheelchair:

Is it just me or do most of those cars look ridiculous :surrender:

+1 :shrug:

Well deserved Mark to get an invite to the show and the work you put in at the show and to get it there.....

Yours was :#1: from me - even if the Judges couldn't see it :D

Is it just me or do most of those cars look ridiculous :surrender:

I thought that when I saw them last night. Seems to be a trend to lower the cars and have the wheels way inside the arches :yuck: .

Pete

Thanks for the comments guys, it was a great weekend, I still ache all over :lol:

Did you get any free bits from AutoGlym?

No, nothing. I was chatting to one of the judges who was trying to convert me to using the Autoglym HD Wax. I asked him for a free sample and he said he couldnt as its £40 per tub. I sat there thinking that it prob costs them sod all, they had a open tub he could of just let me try and it may of made me buy a full tub, there loss I guess.

your car made me smile........................as usual

Well that is better than winning any awards :D

I thought that when I saw them last night. Seems to be a trend to lower the cars and have the wheels way inside the arches

Most of them just drop the car for the show, some are trailored in like it. I would actually love to slam my car just for the show and may be something i might look into for the future. I still dont get the stretched tyre look or why everyone seems to put Porsche wheels on their cars.

Looks awesome mark as always! You should have got more!!!!

What they don't realise is what you were doing a few weeks ago ..... Hurtling around Wales chasing me down ;)

The best of both worlds, a great show car and at the same time it can be going full throttle around Wales I bet not one other show car can say that!!

Looking forward to you coming up matey in a few weeks :thumbs:

Happy days :drive1:drive1:thumbs:

What they don't realise is what you were doing a few weeks ago ..... Hurtling around Wales chasing me down ;)

The best of both worlds, a great show car and at the same time it can be going full throttle around Wales I bet not one other show car can say that!!

Looks awesome mark as always! You should have got more!!!!

I was thinking the exact same thing, best of both worlds indeed.... A lot of people would have bottled out if the drives or nursed it round but Mark certainly did neither :no1: