Interesting short break ideas needed

twobears

Has anyone got any ideas for a night away for two people in the UK? We prefer doing something interesting rather than just mooching around, although a bit of shopping is always good 'cos I'm a woman ;)

I went to Millbrook a couple of weeks ago and would go back like a shot but I need to think of something that we can both do and my husband only likes his Land Rovers so Millbrook holds no appeal for him as it's not muddy enough :thumbdown: We both enjoy doing stuff like quad-biking, clay pigeon shooting, 4x4 driving etc but would like to go somewhere that we've not been to before. Any recommendations would be great please :teeth:

Good point SMD. I am happy to go away for two nights to make it worthwhile travelling. Husband's firm were treating us to a night at a spa hotel but no-one could ever synchronise their diaries so that we all arrived on the same night and they have now decided to give us the cash instead to spend as we want. I didn't really want to go to the spa thingy and chat with the other company wives so this option is far better but I feel flummoxed now that I have to decide where to go. Husband is (kindly?) leaving it to me to make the decision and I want to make it a good one.

I know I am weird but I am not all that keen on the Lake District. Sorry to anyone who lives there :blush: Objectively, I can see that it's beautiful but I've never had a good holiday there for some reason.

Wales is always good but I need somewhere interesting to stay. I go most years but stay in the same place and I need to break out of my comfort zone (not literally as I hate the very idea of camping or otherwise roughing it).

Edinburgh, try the run over carter bar on the A68 and a walk around Princess St for some heavy shopping.

I was going to suggest Endinburgh as there's lots to see and do however it sounds like you want more of an "Active" break rather than sightseeing.

I do like Edinburgh a lot but I'm really after something countryside activity based for this particular trip.

Maybe an S & M dungeon in Liverpool would be fun, if SMD and Squee want to give further advice on that one? :lol:

Does it have to be in the UK?

what about driving to Hockenhiem or Nurburg for 3/4 days in the Zed?

This time of year it will be a beautiful drive.........swing back through Baden Baden and the Black Forest.

Or if your not fussed on the Motorsport idea then go do Brugges - nicest place I think I've ever been to and only an hour or 2 off the ferry.

Brighton for some alternative 'camping' by the sea. There are plenty of shops, local paintballing and zorbing sites as well as sufficient night life activity to keep you entertained...you can then recover the day after by the sea with some local whale watching (depending on the caliber of the locals) :thumbs:

If the UK is not a must...jump on the EuroStar to Belgium or Bruges - sample the local turbo plonk and bring a boot full of your favourite back home :drunk:

If the sun is shining then you can't beat The Llyn peninsular in North Wales, beautiful scenery, quiet roads and some of the best and quietest beaches in Europe. It's kinda like Cornwall without the crowds really :thumbs:

The best beach I've ever seen and rated the second best beach in Europe.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/68685

Pete

Hilton at Dunkeld. By the river Tay. There's 4x4, clay pigeon shooting, archery, art galleries, fabulous walks: Birnan wood; Ossians cave. A spa in the hotel, tennis court, swimming pool. Oh and go the Taybank hotel for something to eat. Place looks a dump but the food is outstanding. They only serve burgers and stovies.

I've heard East Yorks is nice :lol:

There's loads of places to see.

York

Oxford

Stratford Upon Avon

Cotswolds as mentioned

Cornwall

Devon

Dorset

Kent

Sussex

The list goes on....

As Ricey said Brugge is a wonderful place and literally 1 hr from the eurotrainthingymagigy.

Why not pick up the boat from Hull, head to Hoek of Holland, stop off at Ansterdam for a cup of herbal tea, head onto Brugge for a night and come back via the trainthingymagigy, stopping off at Kent, maybe lakeside for some shopping, head up to Oxford or Cotswolds.

Decisions decisions.....