Shaving - Random topic.

Stew

Perverts, look away. ;) This is about blokes face shaving! :lol::lol:

So, I converted to a safety last year. Loving the heavyweight razor and single blade.

At the moment I have the cream in a pot and apply with a brush. I always used a fancy skin Serum after which was nice but this has now run out. I could replace it but fancy trying something else.....

So, my question is, does anyone use a nice pre shave oil and what do you use afterwards? Looking for some recommendations of good stuff to use for a nice traditional shave.

My skin is pretty sensitive so keep this in mind!

I apologise for the off topic nature of this thread, just looking for advise! :blush:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I converted to a safety last year. Loving the heavyweight razor and single blade.

At the moment I have the cream in a pot and apply with a brush. I always used a fancy skin Serum after which was nice but this has now run out. I could replace it but fancy trying something else.....

So, my question is, does anyone use a nice pre shave oil and what do you use afterwards? Looking for some recommendations of good stuff to use for a nice traditional shave.

I apologise for the off topic nature of this thread, just looking for advice! :blush:

fixed that for you :thumbs:

I apologise for the off topic nature of this thread, just looking for advice! :blush:

fixed that for you :thumbs:

:thumbs:

You been at the sauce Hugh? :lol:

I use a single blade mekur razor and just shaving gel. Cut myself to ribbons!

It's an art!

I'm thinking oil might help, apparently it helps sooth the skin so you don't get cut to buggery!

Wilkinson Sword Soap with Badger Brush. Gillette Turbo dodar thingy. Stopped using a safety scraper 20 years ago.

Followed by Nivea soft moisturiser.

Hot as you can stand towels on your face before you soap helps.(if you have time :blush: ) :thumbs:

I've got a phillips designer stubble electric jobbie. I only ever use it to trim though because I wear a manly beard B)

I'm dangerous with a razor, I end up with a face full of blood :blush: & I look about 12 without a beard :blush:

I'm thinking oil might help, apparently it helps sooth the skin so you don't get cut to buggery!

I too suffer from the manly affliction known as sensitive skin, I tend to do all of what I can,

Prewash

oil + wet

Gel

Decent razor and I tend to only shave every other day at most (more recently once a week as I can get away with it at work)

I use king of shaves a lot, the oil is nice and it does help reduce some of the friction but by far the best thing for comfortable shave I found was more growth, if you can get away with a light stubble do so it will help more than oil.

Wilkinson Sword Soap with Badger Brush. Gillette Turbo dodar thingy. Stopped using a safety scraper 20 years ago.

Followed by Nivea soft moisturiser.

Hot as you can stand towels on your face before you soap helps.(if you have time :blush: ) :thumbs:

+1 on the Nivea soft moisturiser .. I've tried numerous things before and this helps to calm my skin best afterwards!

In regards to the shaving ... I just use Gillette Foam (Lemon and Lime) .. and a Gillette sensor ... simples!

:thumbs:

I shave in the bath with a 3 blade Gillette thingy and use shampoo :surrender: .I haven't cut myself for the 20+ years I've used this method. I used my dad's electric razor once or twice about 45 years ago but hated the way it ripped out what was at the time my bum fluff :lol:

Pete

do you shave with the grain or against it? i can't go against the grain as like you i have sensitive skin and it bleeds lots.

not tried a single blade, as i have a beard and usually use a trimmer to do most work, but the best blade i use is the gillette mach 3. tried load sof others and they either clog up or blunt easy.

i've always wanted to have a cut throat razor for shaving but never got round to buying one.

i use nivea shaving gel (sensitive skin version) and clinic happy after shaving balm (i think its called that, smells of oranges)

Here you go Rich! http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mal ... ght-Razors

I think I'm going to try the roasting hot towel thing. I always run the razor until really hot water during the shave too.

I'll keep looking for oils and balms. I'm away to order a couple of packs of blades too. I find the sharper the blade the less irritation, Astra Superior Platinum were the best I tried but there are loads out there I haven't tried! :lol:

i like the look of those shavette's

the normal single blades are bloody expensive :wacko:

Looks cool. Swap the blades too! At that price it'd be nice to by just to try!

People bang on about prorasso it's rubbish. I've got a super badger brush that I use with Mitchell and woolfat soap. I used to use old Taylor's of bond street cream both are ace.

I think mines is a merkur 38c. Which blades are you using?

I sometimes use an oil. Can't remember which company but it's small and triangular looking. 3 drops of that and rub it in. It will sting for 30secs then lather ontop. 2 things I find make a big difference is how hot you get your face a good few mins of washing or a shower will do. The way you make the lather plumps up the hair and smooths the cut.

I use oil if my hair is long or I want a smooth shave. I do 2 passes one with and one against. Lathering in between.

After I have shaved I usually keep splashing COLD water on my face then get my alum block not alum stick and rub some of it into a cup of water. Then I rub that water into my face. You can feel it close and tighten. For moisturiser I use cold pressed coconut oil. Works way better than Nivea and the likes plus if you buy in bulk works out decent to. It's solid but a quick rub gets it liquid.

I'm using a Merkur Futur Razor. Basically, I got a selection of blades but I like Astra Super Platinum the best out of what I've tried. Anything with 'platinum' in the title seemed to work better, I guess as it was sharper.

I'm using a Taylors soap with a brush.

Basically I bought a 'kit' and upgraded the razor and got a selection of blades. I quite fancy trying some more blades too.

I was using a Hugo Boss Skin Serum after shaving and have done for a few years but fancied a change, the Serum was very good on my skin though so I can always go back to it.

Where do you buy your stuff from?