Forum Outage

Chesterfield

All should be back to normal now. Very sorry for the days outage.

Im a little tired, so will keep it as brief as possible:

The software that runs the control panel for the server auto updated a component, which in itself did not break the forum, however it did stop some functionality of the server. The most noteable was the Email functionality, hence the large number of people not receiving confirmation emails when signing up, or indeed notification emails for PM's or subscribed topics.

The forum itself was still functioning running on files based in memory, when the server was restarted as part of trying to rectify the email fault, those files residing in memory were no longer present and the auto update had messed them up, so the whole system, database and control panel would not start. :dry:

The update also screwed up files that controled the ability to roll back the changes to the backup taken Saturday morning. However a lot of trial and error managed to get enough functionality back to do another full backup, which at least meant if the worst case scenario of rebuilding the server were to happen, we could get back to where we were pretty quickly. However that scenario didn't appear, and all is now well again, hopefully... :blush:

Thanks again for your patience,and please accept the teams apologies for the outage. :)

If you notice anything not quite woring as it should, please let one of the team know.

Regards,

Chris.

Must have taken up a fair bit of your Easter weekend Chris - and although it is something you do for love, as opposed to any form of payment, mucho credit for getting it back up and working for the rest of us :#1::clap:

+ gazillions, thanks guys, big chunk out of your weekend, I guess the best part of 24hours? :thumbs::thumbs::clap::clap:

Must have taken up a fair bit of your Easter weekend Chris - and although it is something you do for love, as opposed to any form of payment, mucho credit for getting it back up and working for the rest of us :#1::clap:

+1 :#1::#1::#1:

This was the first long outage since we started using the Facebook Group and Facebook page to a greater extent.

Was everyone happy with the way we kept people updated through there?

I know not everyone has FB, but short of texting everyone we know to text everyone else they know etc etc it was the best we can do to keep people in the loop when there is downtime.

Typical of my recent bad luck, the day I decide to have my new head unit fitted and the forums down :bang: Thankfully my mechanic pal is pretty hot on all things electrical and managed to get it successfully installed but could have got it done a lot quicker with the help of the wealth of information to be found on here. Big thumbs up to everyone involved in getting the forum back up and running :thumbs:

Thank you admin team for taking the time on Easter Weekend to sort it out :thumbs:

+1000000000000000 :#1:

Well done guys :thumbs:

+1 :thumbs:

Although it made last nights 12 hour night shift probably the longest I've ever done :dry:

Back on for tonight's shift though :yahoo::clap:

As another new boy, I'd like to add my thanks for your hard work to all the other messages... Amazing how much this place is missed when It can't be accessed? Didn't even miss my Mrs this much when she left !!! :lol:

:thumbs: Top work everyone :)