This could be interesting................

glrnet

.....and this .....

......... lead me to buy a Jackson and an LP Custom, and practice and practice and practice till i could play the album note for note :lol:

PS I forgot Dire Straits in my earlier post :blush:

sorry Mark :#1::thumbs:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here goes....

Strangley I liked Madonna, Eurythmics, Genesis, Eric Clapton. Then I realised this will get you no street cred, so moved onto DJ's rather than artists. Carl Cox, Sven Vath, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills etc etc. Clubbed round the UK and Europe for 10 years so never really got into any particular artist?

I thought both guys were blonde. :snack:

:lol:

My taste in music is different than the rest of the people in my age group... One summer i heard on a radio Gladys Knight and it changed my life. All the songs from 50's-70's and a few out of the 80's make my life complete.

I stopped listening to the radio years and years ago because they plaid only disco crap :)

Wow!! How old are you?

My taste in music is different than the rest of the people in my age group... One summer i heard on a radio Gladys Knight and it changed my life. All the songs from 50's-70's and a few out of the 80's make my life complete.

I stopped listening to the radio years and years ago because they plaid only disco crap :)

Wow!! How old are you?

I remember Brenda Lee on the old radiogram :lol:

I'm 28 years old :lol:

Wow!! How old are you?

Well first track that made an impression was "Swords of Ten Thousand Men" by Tenpole Tudor ... progressed on to "Stealin" by Uriah Heap (still one of my fave tracks ever) .... onto anything by Motorhead (love the early stuff) and then back to Hawkwind (Spirit of the Age will always be in my top 5 tracks) ... Creedence Clearwater Revival, Lynrd Skynrd, Bad Company, Zep ....

Well you get the gist ... most modern I get is Metallica, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam ... :band:

I grew up with lots of music. Mum was into Elvis, Abba :yuck: , Baccara, Brenda Lee etc, Dad - Foster and Allen, Jimmy Shand... two of my sisters were into 70s/80s pop and my eldest sister was into 70s/80s rock.

There are one or two which have stayed with me through the years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnoUlZnwYy4

Have picked up a few myself though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dvPkqJYQ0U&feature=fvwrel

Jonny Cash :- Hurt

I absolutely love both versions of this song (the Cash version, and the original NiN version)

I never realised that 2 songs, with the same lyrics, could stand apart so greatly and mean entirely different things.

Top tune :thumbs: But Lexx what about this little ditty from Trent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g86KUHGlOg

and from the same gig :band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoUqSPQQuW4

My rock epiphany was listening to Iron Maiden in the late 70s (when Paul di Anno was still doing the vocals before the airline pilot got involved). That changed my musical direction from The Sweet and Slade that were always on the radio. Then bought an album by a band called Led Zeppelin (you've probably never heard of them) and that was it.

Now got over 3000 albums on vinyl covering everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top (including Styx, Journey, Boston, Loverboy, Kansas - JetSet, I never thought anybody else would admit to that - REO Speedwagon, Yes, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore (RIP), Motorhead, Ozzy, Rainbow (Ritchie Blackmore was a God then), Dio (RIP, sorely missed), trash 80s stadium rock bands, Whitesnake, Scorpions, MSG, Def Leppard, The Kinks, The Byrds, Sabbath, Purple, Rush, and a little bit of Santana for those mellow moments, plus loads of weird one-offs from the prog rock era).

Only modern band I ever listen to is Airbourne.

Off to see Maiden supported by Airbourne (who'll probably blow Maiden off the stage) in Sheffield in two weeks time :band:

Planet Rock is the best radio station ever - FACT :thumbs:

My musical taste wandered all over the place when I was younger (teenager), my dad used to play alot of Maiden, AC/DC and Priest, which I always kind of fall back too.

But, the album that set me off on my main musical tastes to this date, was when I got a bootleg copy of The Special AKA - The Specials.

I was 17 when I heard that album, and it set me off along my infatuation with two-tone, which later progressed into my love of pretty much anything played on the off-beat.

RUDE BOYS FOR LIFE!!!

+1,000,000

Graham i will burn you some mp3s ;)

This is a great thread, I love music, and have been known to play a few instruments myself and I could prattle on all day on this subject… :yawn:

However, born in 1973 the year of (Dark side of the Moon, I believe) I was subjected to years of Pink Floyd, The Eagles, ZZ Top, ELO, Beatles, Gerry Rafferty, etc. which left a lasting mark.

As I progressed in to a little person in the 80s, I picked up a liking for Depeche Mode, and a bit of old school rap, The Smiths, Lloyd Cole, The Stranglers, Madness, Tom Petty (A decade with some great one hit wonders too numerous to mention)

Later in the 80’s The Pixies, Stone Roses Happy Monday’s, Inspiral Carpets, The The. INXS

In to the 90’s Nirvana, Blur, Sleeper, Echo Belly, the Orb, Air, The Manic Street Preachers, The Sundays, Mansun and my personal favourite The Smashing Pumpkins

More recently, The New Young Pony Club, Kasabian, The Kooks, The Strokes, Blink 182, Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire, Artic Monkeys.

I have a very eclectic music collection :wacko:

Last Gig: Morrissey (Last Night)

Last Album bought: Going Underground (Various Artist)

This is a great thread, I love music, and have been known to play a few instruments myself and I could prattle on all day on this subject… :yawn:

However, born in 1973 the year of (Dark side of the Moon, I believe) I was subjected to years of Pink Floyd, The Eagles, ZZ Top, ELO, Beatles, Gerry Rafferty, etc. which left a lasting mark.

As I progressed in to a little person in the 80s, I picked up a liking for Depeche Mode, and a bit of old school rap, The Smiths, Lloyd Cole, The Stranglers, Madness, Tom Petty (A decade with some great one hit wonders too numerous to mention)

Later in the 80’s The Pixies, Stone Roses Happy Monday’s, Inspiral Carpets, The The. INXS

In to the 90’s Nirvana, Blur, Sleeper, Echo Belly, the Orb, Air, The Manic Street Preachers, The Sundays, Mansun and my personal favourite The Smashing Pumpkins

More recently, The New Young Pony Club, Kasabian, The Kooks, The Strokes, Blink 182, Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire, Artic Monkeys.

I have a very eclectic music collection :wacko:

Last Gig: Morrissey (Last Night)

Last Album bought: Going Underground (Various Artist)

You have excellent taste sir :clap:

Graham, have your heard of Rory Gallagher?

And NO he isn't Noel & Liam's brother :p

He is a superb guitarist, right up there with the likes of Page / Clapton / Gilmour / Townsend etc etc in my humble opinion....

:thumbs: +1 great guitar player. Quite liked Jeff Healey as well.

Anyone into Rodrigo y Gabriela?

???? My collection is littered with his stuff, often on in the car :thumbs: Right up there for me too :thumbs:

He was a superb guitarist, right up there with the likes of Page / Clapton / Gilmour / Townsend etc etc in my humble opinion....

Great idea for a thread this, and a nice twist on the usual listing of what bands people are into that has done the rounds a few times I think??

Way back in the 80s I was a young lad and I used to listen mainly to the radio and whatever pop stuff was popular at the time. However this all changed in 1987 when tapes(!) of Guns n Roses' 'Appetite for Destruction' started doing the rounds at school. I was aged 9/10 at the time and it blew my mind! Managed to pursuade my parents to get it for me for my birthday (don't think they knew what they were buying haha) and that set me off on a path for a good few years of listening to plenty of, what I guess you could call 'Popular Rock' (Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, Metallica etc etc)..............

Then epiphany number two came in 1993 when I saw a vid for Sepultura's 'Refuse/Resist' on TV. Anyone who is familiar with this band will know that the vocalist has a good metal growl on him, so at first I thought 'what is up with this guy's voice?! :lol: But the heavy, crunchy guitar drew me in and I kept listening to it. Eventually I was sold and bought the album 'Chaos AD'.......

Basically that lead to all the mid-nineties metal bands like Fear Factory, Machine Head etc etc and also a whole load of more underground metal and also punk/hardcore once I discovered Sick of it All's 'Call to Arms' album in the mid-90s. At that time (along with every rock fan I think!) I was also getting my fill of 'nu-metal' (Korn, Bizkit, Hed(pe) etc and even POD for one album only!)

These days it seems to me there is not a lot of good metal around really tbh. A lot of bands seem to sound VERY similar, so I basically listen to more punk/hardcore type stuff than anything else. Current faves are:

Off With Their Heads

Frank Turner (legend!)

Defeater

Menzingers

Polar Bear Club

Devil's Brigade

H2O and Sick of it All (always have to have some Noo York hardcore in there :band: )

Anyway I think I've probably banged on way too long here! :lol: Hopefully some of you are still reading and know some of the bands I'm on about!!

P.s just got Machine Head tickets for Wembley in December. Wooooooaaaaaarrggghhhh! :yahoo:

???? My collection is littered with his stuff, often on in the car :thumbs: Right up there for me too :thumbs:

He was a superb guitarist, right up there with the likes of Page / Clapton / Gilmour / Townsend etc etc in my humble opinion....

Thought as much ;) there was a good concert of him on SKy Arts the other week..... I was air guitaring like a god !!!!!!

Frank Turner (legend!)

Frank is indeed a legend!

I've seen him live 7 times now, and he just gets better each time.

England Keep My Bones is a great album (easily better than Poetry of the Deed).