A family now needs at least 3 cars to be efficient

ATTAK Z

Think about it ........... if you own and use a Zed, the costs are escalating every day due to fuel price rises .......... if you are married or have a partner, you need a second car for their use ............. if you want to reduce the costs associated with the Zed, it makes sense to think about a third car for use for work ........ low cost shed with low insurance on a multi-car policy, low road tax, low fuel consumption etc. .......... you know it makes sense but can't stop driving the Zed

DISCUSS

Ok, I have the Zed as my daily driver :teeth: , Mrs DoogyRev has a 4.0ltr (petrol) Jeep Cherokee as her daily driver :teeth:

If we were to suddenly join the green party we would sell both and get g-whizz's, but that aint gonna happen :nono:

So, we consider buying two sheds....... so we spend £500 each on a shed, that £1000 before insurance and running costs. we would also need a bigger house with enough space to park 6 vehicles (Mrs DoogyRev has two son's, one has a car the other wont be far off) I am not going to get rind of the Zed, and the Mrs does not want to sell the Jeep

I am gonna stick with the Zed, I love driving it, if I have to drive 200+ miles to a job I am going to have fun on the way :thumbs:

Feck fuel prices, drive something YOU want to drive........ and I want to drive my Zed :#1:

Ok, I have the Zed as my daily driver :teeth: , Mrs DoogyRev has a 4.0ltr (petrol) Jeep Cherokee as her daily driver :teeth:

If we were to suddenly join the green party we would sell both and get g-whizz's, but that aint gonna happen :nono:

So, we consider buying two sheds....... so we spend £500 each on a shed, that £1000 before insurance and running costs. we would also need a bigger house with enough space to park 6 vehicles (Mrs DoogyRev has two son's, one has a car the other wont be far off) I am not going to get rind of the Zed, and the Mrs does not want to sell the Jeep

I am gonna stick with the Zed, I love driving it, if I have to drive 200+ miles to a job I am going to have fun on the way :thumbs:

Feck fuel prices, drive something YOU want to drive........ and I want to drive my Zed :#1:

Good point

Good point

Thank you :thumbs:

If every single member of this forum gave up their lovely Zeds or other "nice" vehicles...... Aston's included, it would not make a S*!t of difference to the economy, ozone, pollution... blah, blah, blah

The only thing it would do, is make us all miserably and boring..... Discuss that :lol::lol::lol:

Good point

If every single member of this forum gave up their lovely Zeds or other "nice" vehicles...... Aston's included, it would not make a S*!t of difference to the economy, ozone, pollution... blah, blah, blah

The only thing it would do, is make us all miserably and boring..... Discuss that :lol::lol::lol:

Another good point

PS nice to see the avatar is back

Another good point

PS nice to see the avatar is back

Thank you again......... although I feel like I am ranting.... maybe its the wine :drunk:

The only other thing I have to say is "Long Live the spinney Zed Clown Avatar" :clap: I love it :cloud9:

Think about it ........... if you own and use a Zed, the costs are escalating every day due to fuel price rises .......... if you are married or have a partner, you need a second car for their use ............. if you want to reduce the costs associated with the Zed, it makes sense to think about a third car for use for work ........ low cost shed with low insurance on a multi-car policy, low road tax, low fuel consumption etc. .......... you know it makes sense but can't stop driving the Zed

DISCUSS

That is in an ideal world, you still dont get away from the rfl on the zed, mine and jims are £425ish, the multicar insurance that will add an additional cost,plus you will have a further mot cost and rfl cost, you will rag the nuts of the zed when you do drive it at the weekend so your fuel will cost just as much for a weekend rag about plus the fuel you used in the shed all week, as opposed to just using the zed with a light right foot all week.

So... in summary. Its not worth having a shed if you still running a zed at the weekend, tbh it would probably cost you more in the long run.

Now however.....if the rfl was on top of the price of fuel and not a stand alone cost, it would make sense having a shed. I think anyway.

im trying to save for a deposit to buy my first place at the moment and with fuel and everything going up in price its getting near on impossible. which is why im looking intp part ex my zed for a diesel astra at the weekend. im far from happy about it but its the sensible thing to do and i know in a few years i can have another one.

im trying to save for a deposit to buy my first place at the moment and with fuel and everything going up in price its getting near on impossible. which is why im looking intp part ex my zed for a diesel astra at the weekend. im far from happy about it but its the sensible thing to do and i know in a few years i can have another one.

If its a struggle and the zed is your disposable toy, then I am with you all the way. A roof is far more important than a machine, which are easier to replace than your home.

due to escalating costs and new responsibilities i'm looking at moving into derv land.

i cant run a shed as i don't have space for a third car in the family, am already looking at giving up the garage to setup the new business in. and parking 2 cars on an already crowded road is a no go. secondly if i did have a shed, i'd never drive it, couldn't see the point if the nice car was parked there i'd always take the nice car. so the shed then becomes a pointless lawn ornament.

with the likely hood of 1.50 a litre by easter and the possible saving of over a grand a year compared to my currently petrol car it looks like i will have to downsize for a bit.

if things take off and i get a bit flush i might re consider. especially as the more expensive petrol gets the cheaper performance cars will get. might do what i did with the zed is ride diesel for a while wait for prices to plummet then buy when its at the bottom. i saved a bundle buying the zed when i did and i sold for a small loss compared to todays resale price of the zed.

i reckon in 18 months 2 years they'll be a nice saving to be had on big lump petrol cars compared to today; as dealerships and private sellers will struggle to shift them.

I have 7 cars but each one has its place none are very practical as I firmly believe that the motor car is for fun and transport. The Zed is my daily drive cos its fun and makes work that much better as I enjoy getting there and back. I wonder if you do the calculations on how much you would actually save by owning a boring cheap car just to get to work wether it would save any money at all..... Zed say 28mpg, boring car say 40 mpg +tax+mot+insurance+maintenance+hastle. I wonder!!

depends on the mileage i suppose, if you do big mileage then a shed probably will save money, but for me the mileage isnt high enough to make enough of a saving. by the time you add on tax mot etc its a fraction of a saving for 12k a year.

swapping completely to derv is the only way for me.

I have the M3, the OH has a corsa which I use on a regular basis too but thinking about a winter run around/shed as well...maybe a 2.0 twin turbo impreza wagon. F*** the fuel prices and this so called global warming nonsence is driving me mad. We are paying through the nose and being screwed over left right and centre over a phenomenon that is STILL disputed by many credible scientist as having little to sod all to do with us! They may as well tax us to help save the bloody unicorns and pixies! Madness!

There is 6 cars in our household. 3 of them are mine. Current work car is a my60 golf tsi. I must say it is awesome with the twin charger and circa 170hp and pretty good fuel consumption of about 35 average. Can go upto 40 odd on the motorway.

I'm with you JIm, :thumbs: we have five on the driveway/in the garage!! The Zed is in the garage as it's not my daily driver, my Transit Connect for work, Mrs glr's Audi A3 (diesel) and Mrs glr's two girls have a car each.

At this stage of my life this is about enjoyment. Now, I could sell the Zed and bank the money as I don't need a shed as we have the Audi but I'm afraid that isn't going to happen. I'm fortunate enough now to be able to make the decision and based upon the the smile that the Zed puts on my face in every respect then I consider it very well spent cash. Having said all that I do sympathise with you younger guys trying to get on the property ladder etc, we've all been through it and it's tough, many years ago I had to sell my immaculate MGB GT to have enough deposit foe my first place and if I hadn't done that maybe I wouldn't have a Zed now!!? :wacko::)

Good point

I live in Rural Wales, if I could only have 1 car I could not have the zed.

Two children,two dogs,friends I could NOT visit in a zed,fishing,shooting and now Liams wakeboarding.(you could not get to the lake in a zed)

I went through me having three jobs and my wife having two to get a property and have a family. Now I'm mortgage free so Land Rover and Zed for me. :yahoo:

i worked it out and if i got a £600 shed, £100 tax, £50 MOT £100 service. it'd take 8 months for the inital cost to be paid off after that it'd be clear profit. I currently use my Zed all the time, around 400 miles a week, to and from work is b roads, but i usualy drive them sensibly and some motorway miles to see the GF means i get around 28mpg. I know that if i had a shed i'd lash the crap out of it so it actualy moves, and then on a weekend i'd rag the zed more. I love driving the zed sensibly and going for spirited drives now and then, i think if you drive it sensibly during the week, when you do give it a blast it makes you appreciate the car even more.

plus, i dont think my parents would appreciate have another car on the drive :lol:

I've recently looked at swapping the zed for a derv. audi A3 or something, looking to streight swap it. after you've paid the extra 1-2k to get something thats even close to the zed in quality and looks, plus the £500 for a remap so it's actualy quick-ish, you've got a few years petrol right there!

Thats my 2p anyway. suppose if i did anymore miles i would swap it though. or if i couldnt afford to run it :D

........................ The Zed is my daily drive cos its fun and makes work that much better as I enjoy getting there and back. I wonder if you do the calculations on how much you would actually save by owning a boring cheap car just to get to work wether it would save any money at all..... Zed say 28mpg, boring car say 40 mpg +tax+mot+insurance+maintenance+hastle. I wonder!!......................

+1

Even mileage adjusted i don't see running a shed cheaper! You have to understand that apart from the cost of having a shed, the time off the zed is a hidden cost :p You bought it in the first place to use it and enjoy it. This becomes nominal when you are always in the shed so you are then just paying for depreciation with no "return" by means enjoyment/satisfaction. That my friends is the biggest cost :surrender:

I will drive my zed daily until i can afford the R35 which will be driven daily too! My OH has a sensible car for shopping and family duties and thats the short if it :teeth:

On the other hand, if i could'nt afford performance motoring anymore i will just downgrade to something that will give me satisfaction and yet be a downgrade as well. simples!

My view is that having more than one car is cool if you can afford it. Buying a second car in order to be able to afford the first one is in my personal opinion plain stupid. If I can't afford to buy a car and run it every day, drive it at weekends and go to Europe if I feel like it, then I need to buy a cheaper/cheaper to run car.

Let's do a simple calculation.

£600 for a shed, £50 for an MOT, £100 for a service, £70 for spare parts as sheds do go wrong (probably conservative on cars of this age and build quality), assuming you do high mileage in the shed as the reason for getting it in the first place, take £300 for a cambelt change every 3 years (again, conservative). Now add insurance and assume we are figuring it out for a typical 30yr old with 1 accident & 3 points or something along those lines = £400 given the ridiculous price hikes (optimistic as you won't be able to use your no claims on this car and even with multicar policies, prices have gone up a lot)

Now let's assume something will go bang on the shed within 3 years from high mileage + age + quality and you'll have to replace it again with another £600 shed as per some of the above numbers.

So your costs on average will be:

Year 1: £1,320

Year 2: £720

Year 3: £720

Year 4: £1,320

(£920 on average per year)

Now let's assume that your mega efficient shed despite its age, wear and lack of investment manages to get an average of 40 mpg.

I typically get more out my zed, but let's assume you get around 28mpg from the zed. That's a net difference of 12mpg.

Question: how many miles do you need to do in order to make the shed actually worthwhile?

Answer: The shed will take 2.5 gallons per 100 miles as opposed to 3.57 gallons for the zed. Let's take the current petrol price as average (probably overkill, but whatever). So that's £1.30 a litre. So the shed will cost something like £14.80 (back of the envelope calc here) as opposed to £21.15 for the zed. So every 100 miles you save £6.35 or thereabouts.

So that means you'll need to do around 15,000 miles a year just to break even. Doing 20,000 miles, given the somewhat optimistic assumptions above saves you a massive £300. In my personal opinion if the amount of hassle, paperwork, potential problems, lack of enjoyment, image, whatever other reasons in your mind are outweighed by £300, you should not have bought the zed in the first place.

Nuff said. :drive1

Said it before and i will say it again, i got a shed for pratical reasons. But mainly because i work at a @*!# hole (where mud dust and acidic fumes rule) where my last bright yellow car got crushed by a 40 tonner reversing into it!! If that had been the zed i would probably be doing time :boxing: My work place is just not suitable for a bright yellow car :lol:

So in my case no fancy calculations are required, its worth it just to be relieved of the worry.

Nuff said :)

it clears things up when you do the maths,

i worked out that a complete car swap from performance to diesel will save me 1250.00 a year in fuel alone. and that was working on the average MPG's not the max figures etc.

complete swap yes; shed = pointless