when would you stop buying it?

rtbiscuit

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am doing more miles in June's Jazz these days as that gets twice the mpg (and on 95 regular instead of the Tesco 99 I use in the ZED).

Its probably more than twice the mpg thinking about it, with the syncro-rev and Stillen encouraging the spirited ZED driving :blush::teeth:

Sell my kids to finance fuel :teeth:

Seriously though, only a very long and messy blockade/civil unrest would change the taxing of fuel, the ruling elite need cash to fund their lavish lifestyles and would fight tooth and nail to protect it.

Motorists are in a lose/lose situation now and no amount of "elections" will ever change this. If you need a car, any car you lose, just look at the unfair VED, I pay £415 (£750 "showroom") and do 5k miles, someone paying £100 or thereabouts and does 15k, who's the environmental vandal? (if indeed motorists are)

some places are now 1.30 for a litre of bog standard 95 ron

i filled my s2k up last year and i've only done 180 miles since mid december, but it dodn't see lots of action over xmas as we were using lucy's

but on average i do about 10,000 - 12,000 a year. and it is impacting on what i'm looking at getting next. i don't want it to, but i am having to think about what i'll get out of a car.

how long do you reckon it is before we hit 2.00 a litre

They would have to prize the pump from my cold dead hand.

I enjoy driving. So much so that I even enjoy when we fly from London Airports, as I know there will be a long drive there and back - sure its only motorway, but its still behind the wheel of a car.

In all probability, it would take prices of perhaps £2.50 a litre and above to make me start making serious adjustments on my driving habbits. I'd think twice about long journeys in the petrol guzzlers and cars like the Z would only come out to meets etc and probably would not be taken out just for the sake of it on summer days, but I would still drive them. I would also start looking at fuel economy as one of the more important factors in a daily drive too.

Everybodys financial status is different, and looking at statistics, over 75% of UK households have an income of £30,000 or less. If these households have the average 1.1 cars per household, and do an average of 10,000 miles per year with an average MPG of say 30, that equates to aproximately £2000 per year in fuel alone.

Car tax at say £155 and insurance average of £615 gives a total of around £2750 for the year before any servicing or maintenance costs are added.

Thats getting on for 10% of a households net income after tax.

If you look at specific demographics such as younger couples with predominantly lower paid jobs and higher car insurance premiums, the costs start to become extraordinaryly high in relation to their net income.

Sadly the motorist is a very easy target for tax rises. For many outside of big cities the public transport is simply not a viable alternative.

For instance It takes me 5 or so minutes to drive to work in a morning, and while a weekly buss ticket would come in cheaper than the running costs of that car for the same week (just) - I would need to leave my house at 7.15 am to make it to the office for 9am - involving a final 10 minute walk from the nearest stop to our offices. A total Journey time of 1 hour 45, to travel to an office 3.7 miles from my house.

All I ask is that the government keep the recommended fuel payment tracking the price of fuel. Its still at 40p/mile which is quickly meaning that the payment doesnt cover my fuel - currently it gives me about 40p/mile compared to the cost of fuel which is quickly approaching 25p/mile. Once I go over 10k miles a year then I'm down to even less, which is why it only just breaks even now I think. I dont dare work it out incase I realise the real cost and need to get rid of the car :surrender::headhurt:

Good question...

I think the tipping point is about now for me to be honest.

I do a lot of miles for work, and only get 25p per mile in return, so someone told me i need to have a 42mpg car in order to break even on a business trip :surrender:

So any car that does less than 42mpg is costing me money out of my pocket to go and visit clients. What a joke.

I dont want to have the zed as a weekend car as i hardly do any weekend driving.

Due to the rising fuel costs I am considering the "shed it for special occasions" with my Zed and buying an economical car to commute in! (Some cheap rubbish like a Kia or Hyundai! :thumbdown: )

I love driving too much to just give it up! Its taken me a long time to get to a good car like the Zed and I'm not going to give it up now! No matter how high fuel costs get!

Still it's only £131.9 for Tesco 99 in Glasgow so I'll keep postponing for now! :teeth:

Due to the rising fuel costs I am considering the "shed it for special occasions" with my Zed and buying an economical car to commute in! (Some cheap rubbish like a Kia or Hyundai! :thumbdown: )

I love driving too much to just give it up! Its taken me a long time to get to a good car like the Zed and I'm not going to give it up now! No matter how high fuel costs get!

Still it's only £131.9 for Tesco 99 in Glasgow so I'll keep postponing for now! :teeth:

A fill up with 99 at Tesco's at Horsham last Friday was £134.9 :dry:

All I ask is that the government keep the recommended fuel payment tracking the price of fuel. Its still at 40p/mile which is quickly meaning that the payment doesnt cover my fuel - currently it gives me about 40p/mile compared to the cost of fuel which is quickly approaching 25p/mile. Once I go over 10k miles a year then I'm down to even less, which is why it only just breaks even now I think. I dont dare work it out incase I realise the real cost and need to get rid of the car :surrender::headhurt:

I'm in the same situation, and 19p of the 40p / mile I get is meant to contribute to overheads, which leaves 21p/mile for fuel.

I work away from home a lot, so a decent car that I enjoy driving is one of the few things I can take with me to brighten my day - I'm not giving that up lightly!

I assume you mean 134.9p/litre and not £134.90 for a tank? Either way :surrender:

I assume you mean 134.9p/litre and not £134.90 for a tank? Either way :surrender:

:lol::doh: Ooops! Yeah 131.9p a litre! :lol:

It cost me £85+ to fill the tank! (nearly £3 cheaper than V-Power!) :thumbs:

Cost me just over £90 last time around for Tesco99. Bloody scary thing is, when they uped the Pay at Pump limit from £50 to £99 I thought that was a mental jump, but they knew better than me, soon enough we'd be topping that out too :surrender:

Let's get things into perspective, when I first started driving in 1966 petrol was 6 shillings a gallon, 30 pence today and 6.6p per litre, and back then the average wage was £20 a week (I was earning about £9 back then). Today it's around £1.30 per litre or £5.90 a gallon and the average wage is £499 a week. Now then in 1966 in one hour you had enough money to buy 1.66 gallons of petrol, today that figure would be 2.25 gallons. Income tax and National Insurance will have warped these figures somewhat but I remember paying tax on my meagre £9 back then. Inflation (and time) twists our understanding of just how expensive things were in the past, I just worked out that my first sports car an Austin Healey Sprite cost me the equivalent of £1,760 in todays money in Insurance with 3 years NCB and would have cost me £20k to buy new :scare: .

I think we will find prices stabilising soon at around £1.35, if they do go higher, say to £1.50 or above then it may have a catastrophic effect on the economy with people driving less (lower income on petrol duty for the government) and haulage companies going out of business, even another recession, there's also a chance of another drivers mutiny if prices keep going up. There's little anyone can do though, The Arabs know that the oil is going to run out and they want to make as much as they can while they still have it, the government need the income to fund spending....

As far as what I'd pay, then I guess it it shot up above £1.50 I'd cut spending on something else, reducing my holiday from 3 weeks to 2 would be first on my list.

Pete

Let's get things into perspective, when I first started driving in 1966 petrol was 6 shillings a gallon, 30 pence today and 6.6p per litre, and back then the average wage was £20 a week (I was earning about £9 back then). Today it's around £1.30 per litre or £5.90 a gallon and the average wage is £499 a week. Now then in 1966 in one hour you had enough money to buy 1.66 gallons of petrol, today that figure would be 2.25 gallons. Income tax and National Insurance will have warped these figures somewhat but I remember paying tax on my meagre £9 back then. Inflation (and time) twists our understanding of just how expensive things were in the past, I just worked out that my first sports car an Austin Healey Sprite cost me the equivalent of £1,760 in todays money in Insurance with 3 years NCB and would have cost me £20k to buy new :scare: .

I think we will find prices stabilising soon at around £1.35, if they do go higher, say to £1.50 or above then it may have a catastrophic effect on the economy with people driving less (lower income on petrol duty for the government) and haulage companies going out of business, even another recession, there's also a chance of another drivers mutiny if prices keep going up. There's little anyone can do though, The Arabs know that the oil is going to run out and they want to make as much as they can while they still have it, the government need the income to fund spending....

As far as what I'd pay, then I guess it it shot up above £1.50 I'd cut spending on something else, reducing my holiday from 3 weeks to 2 would be first on my list.

Pete

Great point, also remember that back in 1966 a pint (beer) was 1s 9p (9.5p) whats a pint now £2.50 that even greater inflation than petrol, just realised the two most important commodities in my life have increased way above the average wage.

Pete

Absolutely right. Couldn't agree more. When have we never moaned about petrol prices?

:thumbs:

:lol::lol: You don't need excuses to drive in a spirited fashion Colin :D:drive1:drive1

Am doing more miles in June's Jazz these days as that gets twice the mpg (and on 95 regular instead of the Tesco 99 I use in the ZED).

Its probably more than twice the mpg thinking about it, with the syncro-rev and Stillen encouraging the spirited ZED driving :blush::teeth:

VAT didnt exist in 1966 did it?

Also a myriad of other taxes, Income tax levels, VAT, National insurance levels, inheritance tax, capital gains tax, corporation tax, benefit in kind, savings tax, fuel duty, stamp duty, insurance premium tax, to name but a few.

Many of which either did not exist or were massively lower than they are today. :shrug: