when would you stop buying it?

rtbiscuit

VAT didnt exist in 1966 did it?

Also a myriad of other taxes, Income tax levels, VAT, National insurance levels, inheritance tax, capital gains tax, corporation tax, benefit in kind, savings tax, fuel duty, stamp duty, insurance premium tax, to name but a few.

Many of which either did not exist or were massively lower than they are today. :shrug:

but jsut think of all the bureaucracy we are funding with this extra tax :yahoo:

:dry:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Rich. :thumbs:

Never!! I enjoy the Zed too much and hence I really do enjoy driving again. The whole experience puts a big smile on my face every time and no amount of tax/oil increase is going to take that away from me :boxing::boxing::D

I only do low mileage in the 350z......so

They would have to pull my fingernails out one by one and then fill the wounds up with neat lemon juice and marmite before I would stop driving it.

It may well be that this is being considered even as we speak.

It replaced purchase tax in 1973, started off at 8% :shrug: . Fuel, tobacco and alcohol have always had variable (upwards) rates of tax compared to say a washing machine or fridge so when VAT was introduced it went straight on top of the existing taxes.

Pete

Alas, I remember it well :scare:

It replaced purchase tax in 1973, started off at 8% :shrug: . Fuel, tobacco and alcohol have always had variable (upwards) rates of tax compared to say a washing machine or fridge so when VAT was introduced it went straight on top of the existing taxes.

Pete

My zed is my only car but as I only do around 10,000 miles per year at the moment it's not too bad. I'd much rather get 20mpg in something I enjoy driving than get 40mpg and not enjoy it, then it would seem like a waste of money.

If I did more miles then I suppose I might have to think about something with better fuel economy but I'd hate to chose a car with that as one of the main decision making factors. My current strategy is just to not think about how much I spend on fuel, the saying "ignorance is bliss" definitely applies!

Would never give up the Zed,have been using the shed most of the time for running around since the bad weather although i used the Zed all last weekend to get to work,fuelled up both cars on Sunday.The Zed took 37 litres of V-power and cost me £49.00,filled up from nearly empty the Micra and it cost me £30.00.If you are passionate about your car i think you will find some way to enjoy it even if the fuel prices are high.Few days off work next week and the beast will be coming out of the garage(and the car :lol: ) :thumbs:

I've been shedding' it since November... at first it was because of the weather but now its because I've seen what a difference it makes to the bank balance at the end of the month - I easily average 1k miles a month :thumbdown: But have realised I suffer fom terrible road rage when behind the wheel of the Astra - so its very bad for my health!!

Looks like my project is going to be one of the ones to be cut so if I have no job come April 1st the house and BF go first :lol: I'll sleep in Saffy if it comes to it :blink:

In all seriousness at the moment when I look at her all I can see is £10k sitting idle and that would pay the bills for a few months if worse comes to worst. :byebye: it will literally kill me but if it comes to it.... :shrug:

Well our petrol in Kiwiland is up to NZ$2.09 a litre, so only a hair's breathe to the record high prices 2 years ago ($2.40 a litre). Our dollar is riding at record highs, so in theory the price of petrol should be quite cheap, but the greedy old petrol companies keep using the excuse of the weather up in the Northern Hemisphere. :bangin: Obviously the government enjoy the extra tax they reap out of the higher prices. :thumbdown:

So no, not intending even at current prices, almost back up to the $200 mark to fill that it was 2 years ago, still going to be driving the Bronzed One. :drive1

I already have. I now only put a tenner in at a time and thats only because I have too.

The fuel hikes have really driven the zest for running my car straight out of the window, now I hate driving it but love the car too bits. The wacking grin has long Gone, now its just a grimmace when i turn the ignition on.

Cars getting sorn end of feb(tax runs out then), cant justify running this machine any longer and will be selling up at some point in the spring/ summer, so she will sit stationary for a few months covered up awaiting a new owner. :byebye:

I am, like most, totally and utterly peed off with the ever increasing fuel costs. Its an absolute disgrace and it must be having an effect on the everyday motorist's pocket. And itts due to go up "again" in April, There is really no end to it as far as I can see. :shrug:

Sorry but I've been beat by the robbing cameroooooooon and his band of dandy highway men. :rant:

The motorist IS always the easy peasy target, and I have been beaten. Still their loss I guess, another £425 road fund down, wonder how many more really are in the same position but wont admit it.

I dont care to say, I am not "well healed" like some others on here, and It dosent bother me, What bothers me is being squeezed more and more for tax hikes seemingly every day. So the less tax I have to pay the better.

zugara i know your pain, am in a similiar situation. not priced out of the s2k but looking for a replacment with 4 seats and thats still fun to drive is difficult. lots of things i like but all very thirsty. i'm just worried i'll swap out and then regret it as the running costs increase.

zugara i know your pain, am in a similiar situation. not priced out of the s2k but looking for a replacment with 4 seats and thats still fun to drive is difficult. lots of things i like but all very thirsty. i'm just worried i'll swap out and then regret it as the running costs increase.

Tough dilema mate, I think, in this time of rip off england, I would be tempted to buy something a bit more "frugal" on the running costs. Very hard times ahead i feel, and most motorists are going to suffer in some way if you own a sports car with a large engine.

Cheers Mr Camerooooooon. Tw4T.....