Traction in Snow and Ice

Rob Gaskin

Well my 350 has been a nightmare in the recent snow. Really bad considering it has ESP and a limited slip diff. I have almost new R040s on the rear which were useless in snow (and don't give me confidence in the wet either) so I've had some winter tyres fitted to spare wheels I have. Managed to get a couple of Continental Winter Contact TS790 V for the rear and the car is transformed, so much better.

The tread pattern is better for snow but also the compound is softer for improved grip in cold conditions (not just snow).

I ask you to name any 1.5t RWD sports car with nearly 300HP that is good in the snow on OEM tyres. Dont think you will find any. R040s are pants in the wet, let alone snow. And no tyre is good in the ice unless it has studds! On the way back before xmas when everyone got stuck in the snow, my Zed was doing no worse than most other cars out there, you have to remember what the car and tyres are designed for, and its really not that bad, sure its not good but it isnt that bad.

I can see next year they will mandate that everyone has winter tyres ;) I'm going to get an old Evo and stash it in the garage with winter tyres :teeth:

I saw a porsche trying to get up a slight incline today and it was hilarious, back end all over the place, in the end she gave up and parked on the side :lol: The cars arent made for snow, if your happy risking it then make sure you got the best tyres for the job and take it easy. If not get an old 4x4 :p

The Fiesta couldn't get out of the road this morning but the Volvo just drove out fine. Fiesta has Pirelli P Zero Neros on (supposedly a top tyre) and the Toyos are on the Volvo - been fine all through this. :yahoo:

Not even tried the Zed though! :drive1

Having right dramas here in Germany, but work on a airfield so can be a bit stupid aswell :lol::lol:

Was quite surprised about how much noise the ESP makes when it cuts in. Is this normal or is mine not right? It does make a difference so is working as it should.

i dunno mate, but mine makes a terrible racket!!!!!!!! i thought that something was wrong. but i think it just normal.

Sparky

Coming from a car with no driver aids like TC or ESP, I have to say it freaks me out a bit when it kicks in!!

Trying to drive earlier (I was going to get stuck on my road with it on or off), I found that with the ESP on my car was less controllable and more prone to sliding that with it off.

I didn't think much of it until I read this thread, so I got my user manual out...it says that when a driving wheel is spinning on a slippery surface, the system brakes the spinning wheel to distribute the power to the other wheel.

Does this mean 'brake' as in actually 'brake' or just cut power?? And then does all the power go to the other wheel?? :headhurt:

It sounds dodgy to me...from what I've experienced of the car so far (which has been 90% snow/icy/wet driving), I much prefer driving without it!! :lol:

I've had some winter tyres fitted to spare wheels I have. Managed to get a couple of Continental Winter Contact TS790 V for the rear and the car is transformed, so much better.

Are these just larger treads or are they also studded?

Managed to get to work fine this morning (worked from home wed & thur) but coming home was a nightmare.

I live in a rural Surrey village so as soon as I left the A roads it all fell apart. I couldn't get up my road which is pretty much a glacier atm and is a hill, even using 2nd gear with ESP off and just letting the engine revs run the wheels I was going nowhere.

Eventually let gravity take control and swung the car backwards our of the road then headed for the pub carpark. Not much better tbh, got a bit of speed up to get into it but soon ran to a halt. At one point (just to say I had) I got out of the car when it was still in gear to watch the wheels go slowly round in the ice. :surrender:

Will have to go and dig it out in the morning, really looking forward to that, honest. :thumbdown:

A bit of info here about using studs - see under 'damage to roads'

http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law

Interesting!

"Damage to road, person or vehicle

If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and they damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal."

So how come a bad road isn't illegal? They ruin cars!

My Zeds awesome in the snow.

is a phrase you will never hear. Honestly, what did people expect?

TBH when I bought the car I thought it would be epic in the snow, return 40mpg & not be a money pit :p

Sooooo disappointed with it :lol: