Am I being crazy?

Azurez33

Chap on Facebook is selling his Lexus gs430 and is open to swaps, those of you who already know my build and nature will know my beauty is clean and well looked after, his Lexus IS also nice but cheaper on tax insurance and also gets me some money as his Lexus IS selling at 3k and I’m reckoning my z is about 6k potentially with everything done to it, 

is this a crazy swap? I’m saving for a house and this I believe would save me money long term etc will attach deets 

4B9F94AC-1C27-4A9C-B37A-6C22F9488CB6.jpeg

Totally different driving experience, have you driven a GS before?

I wouldn't say yours is worth 6k with well over 100k private sale, it's sadly a natural put off for some prospective buyers. 

Edited by davey_83

If it saves you money and gets you the house then do it.

Not meaning to offend, but your Z is high mileage and has a set of wheels & a wing as far as I can tell - its hardly something that couldn't be replicated once you get the house and get another Z :) 

• Thanks 1

In terms of saving money I think you’re being optimistic: v8s aren’t exactly known for being good on fuel! Unless the insurance is literally half as much and it’s already a grand, running costs will be broadly the same, plus I would imagine Lexus parts are more expensive than Nissan ones at a guess?

• Thanks 1

Thankyou for the responses guys, down on paper it just seemed to a good money saver plus 5 doors etc, Tax was a lot cheaper, insurance was a guesstimate, I only pay £450 atm everything declared, I only guessed at the 6 due to the fact I bought it at 4.7, and the money and bits fitted has already cost me towards 3k , well aware you don’t get back what you buy parts wise but thought 1k was reasonable, the z granted is at 110k didn’t think that was overly high I know it’s not low haha, I am in good contact with getting Lexus parts, the fuel on paper is roughly the same( which I did find strange) I get about 20mpg out of mine atm, visually yes Ian it does look like just wheels and spoiler but I can assure it is not haha, haven’t actually updated this in a while but here’s some of it I guess: 

Edited by Azurez33
Autocorrect

Personally, I think the Lexus looks horrendous. Even it wasn't lowered beyond practical.

However, looking at it pragmatically; the VED saving equates to little more than a couple of pints each month.

You admit you guessed at the insurance - it could be more expensive, but given what you're paying for the Z it's never going to get considerably cheaper than that, so again if there is there any saving there it's going to be negligable.

Fuel is the similar enough to make no difference.

Parts for an old Lexus? Can't be cheaper than parts for an old Nissan.

You're probably being optimistic with your valuation of your car, but you might be able to persuade the other guy anyway.

You say yours is tidy, but the blurb for the Lexus says that is tatty (or actually, broken) and he's not got round to putting the replacement body kit of paint on it. Appreciate you're a mechanic, but it could do with some work that yours doesn't need.

Do I think you're being crazy? Yes, quite frankly. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

And yet, you've clearly made up your mind and you're trying your hardest to justify it. So crack on if it's what you want.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Personally, I think the Lexus looks horrendous. Even it wasn't lowered beyond practical.

However, looking at it pragmatically; the VED saving equates to little more than a couple of pints each month.

You admit you guessed at the insurance - it could be more expensive, but given what you're paying for the Z it's never going to get considerably cheaper than that, so again if there is there any saving there it's going to be negligable.

Fuel is the similar enough to make no difference.

Parts for an old Lexus? Can't be cheaper than parts for an old Nissan.

You're probably being optimistic with your valuation of your car, but you might be able to persuade the other guy anyway.

You say yours is tidy, but the blurb for the Lexus says that is tatty (or actually, broken) and he's not got round to putting the replacement body kit of paint on it. Appreciate you're a mechanic, but it could do with some work that yours doesn't need.

Do I think you're being crazy? Yes, quite frankly. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

And yet, you've clearly made up your mind and you're trying your hardest to justify it. So crack on if it's what you want.

Good sound advice there

Firstly thanks for the sound a straight to it advise guys I think I might have just had a late night blunder don’t quite know what I was thinking to be completely  honest, I’ll just put it down to holiday idiocy and tiredness. 

15 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Totally different driving experience, have you driven a GS before?

I wouldn't say yours is worth 6k with well over 100k private sale, it's sadly a natural put off for some prospective buyers. 

Yes mate driven a vast range is lexus’s Gs and ls so yes I know the different driver style, I wouldn’t say mine is well over 100k as it’s only just 110k but I get what you mean, however with correct servicing these engine do go on a long time surely? 

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Yeah over 100k and the engines are still sweet if looked after, its the milestone that mental barrier in terms of 'worth' in a lot of peoples minds.

I definitely suffer with that mental barrier. I used to say that you get the best from an engine from new to 50k miles...then from 50k to 100k miles the engine starts going down hill...then 100k miles plus it could blow up at any moment!! :lol:

Modern engines are fine now though for mega mileage for sure. :thumbs:

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

Yup. But to the great unwashed, every car over 100k is about to fall apart and die. 

The public are indeed idiots. 

325i E90 I have I bought on 100k - feels and drives far better than say a 50k mile Citroen!!! :lol: (and less likely for mechanical issues, although when they do happen, bit more expensive parts)

Now on 122k, owned 2 years and never broken down.

had 205k on my civic type r when i sold it still on original everything including exhaust suspension etc  ( just tyres discs and pads & 1 clutch) sold it to some guys on gumtree who didn't insure it and it got crushed! My 05 UK Z GT is on 62k still on original everything again apart from consumables even still has the blue dots on the Rays 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ekona said:

There’s nothing wrong with wanting a change btw. The 350 is hardly the world’s most perfect car, nothing wrong with experiencing as many different cars in your life as you can :) 

Oh yes I know mate, I do love my z and that’s why I feel silly for contemplating it :lol: in my line of work I’ve probably driven more cars than most people would get to experience in their lives, unfortunately most of them are German or French shitboxes, 

7 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Yeah over 100k and the engines are still sweet if looked after, its the milestone that mental barrier in terms of 'worth' in a lot of peoples minds.

Ahh yeah I get what you mean unless it’s a Honda or Volvo v70 which the common peasant know last forever, and then you see a 2jz gte with 266k miles up for 30grand. 

4 hours ago, Lee370Z said:

I definitely suffer with that mental barrier. I used to say that you get the best from an engine from new to 50k miles...then from 50k to 100k miles the engine starts going down hill...then 100k miles plus it could blow up at any moment!! :lol:

Modern engines are fine now though for mega mileage for sure. :thumbs:

Sorry lee but I disagree mate, the problem is nowadays companies are looking to make as much money for as little cost as they can, they make a car to sell not to last because t doesn’t benefit them, the golden age of cars has been and gone in my opinion not for technology but for quality I feel as a large majority of cars now just l

fail because of the restrictions put on them, and unfortunately companies using each other’s designs to save themselves money and effort designing cause it cheaper. Not saying that a large amount of good quality cars won’t last a stupid mileage if you look after them but however the amount of good quality cars is getting finer, now there’s so many different parts of services which don’t get serviced because people don’t buy the right car for them or just try to limp it through year by year, the amount of idiots we get complaining their gearbox has gone on their 14plate dsg golf with 100k miles and not having the Dsg fluid changed is ridiculous. Atleast with older cars the car is a fair way simpler and lest costly. Obviously you are completely right to have your opinion we have lots of customers who have new cars and they are well looked after and don’t miss a beat! :)

2 hours ago, msitpro said:

325i E90 I have I bought on 100k - feels and drives far better than say a 50k mile Citroen!!! :lol: (and less likely for mechanical issues, although when they do happen, bit more expensive parts)

Now on 122k, owned 2 years and never broken down.

That’s because they are bulletproof aside from the fluid leaks :lol:

5 minutes ago, stevezzz said:

had 205k on my civic type r when i sold it still on original everything including exhaust suspension etc  ( just tyres discs and pads & 1 clutch) sold it to some guys on gumtree who didn't insure it and it got crushed! My 05 UK Z GT is on 62k still on original everything again apart from consumables even still has the blue dots on the Rays 

Brilliant example they again are solid aside from rust issues like I had on my type s, a few minor issues but like quite a few cars of that generation are still going strong :lol:

1 hour ago, Azurez33 said:

Sorry lee but I disagree mate, the problem is nowadays companies are looking to make as much money for as little cost as they can, they make a car to sell not to last because t doesn’t benefit them, the golden age of cars has been and gone in my opinion

Couldn’t disagree with you more! It’s almost impossible to buy a proper shed of a new car these days, quality has increased massively compared with 20-30 years ago when there were some rift dogs available. Even the cheapest Dacia built to a price not a spec is a perfectly usable car that will go on and on for ages. We talk about poor plastics and funny placed switchgear as a reason not to buy a car, rather than constant failures or things breaking on a first test drive out the door on zero mileage simply because of these manufacturing improvements. 

Again welcome to you opinion, however on that subject of Dacia, they are decent cars because of their price but they do suffer certain issues which you should not get on newer cars reflecting the mileage, we have had a string of dusters below 15k miles suffer from shaft seals leaking and sump gaskets leaking, they are good cars however, but a huge margin of cars these days are dreadullly made from a mechanics point of view, for instance (I know we have secret renaults) but do you not think it’s ridiculous paying for a new a class or class and paying the price for merc to own a Renault, we had a new cla come in after 5000 miles for a pair of front lower arms which shouldn’t happen. 

• Like 1