Jump to content
Keyser

New Project - maybe???

Recommended Posts

Took my daughter to look at a new car last week, nothing special, very sensible and practical, it's a Mazda 2, pleasant little hatchback with low mileage and 1 owner from new, She decided that it was the one for her (it was a nice colour :lol: ) anyway when it came to talk trade in they made such a low offer on her old car, I laughed and said I'll give her more than that for it..............................So I did :lol:

 

I now own  -

 

IMG_1645.JPG.ca158051aa439170d578fd71d39d952b.JPG

 

A nice little 05 Mazda MX5 MK2.5 Icon

 

At the time I thought if nothing else it will be a fun track car when the weather goes and the Radical is not an option, Been looking at kits and things to do, I need a roll bar or cage, some suspension and then maybe (definitely) a little more POWER!! :thumbs:  :lol: 

 

Suggestions welcome this could be my new project cause I just love to tinker :)

 

Keyser

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drop it on it’s ar5e, some keyser-esque arch extensions and an engine swap for some oomph

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of these as track toy for a little while, great fun! 

 

TR Lane make decent roll bars in various styles that aren't too much of a pig to fit. They'll also do you a full cage if you want! - https://www.trlanefabs.co.uk/MX5-ROLL-BARS.html

 

One other thing that I felt made a difference was delrin door bushes. May not have added much chassis stiffness as claimed but certainly took some movement out of the doors. I forget where i got mine but there are basically the same https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/bush-set-door-bushings-delrin-cobalt-pair-910-803.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure from my time with a Mk1 BBR and being on mx5nutz forum a Mini Cooper eaton m45 supercharger is a common retro fit and for a man of your skills, would like to think it will be done by next weekend :teeth:

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/09/2018 at 11:34, longsh07 said:

I had one of these as track toy for a little while, great fun! 

 

TR Lane make decent roll bars in various styles that aren't too much of a pig to fit. They'll also do you a full cage if you want! - https://www.trlanefabs.co.uk/MX5-ROLL-BARS.html

 

One other thing that I felt made a difference was delrin door bushes. May not have added much chassis stiffness as claimed but certainly took some movement out of the doors. I forget where i got mine but there are basically the same https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/bush-set-door-bushings-delrin-cobalt-pair-910-803.html

 

Second person to recommend TR Land for cages so looks like I will be getting a bar or cage from them, Thanks  :thumbs:

 

Not heard about the door bushes I'll look into it :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Pretty sure from my time with a Mk1 BBR and being on mx5nutz forum a Mini Cooper eaton m45 supercharger is a common retro fit and for a man of your skills, would like to think it will be done by next weekend :teeth:

 

Was speaking to a guy with a turbo'd MX5 at Castle Combe last week he uses the standard turbo from a Subaru recons you can get them cheap and 240 - 280 HP is achievable.

Not sure how much power I want probably stupid amounts :lol: I have the 1.8 which apparently is not the best for FI so may have to look at an engine swap or a built engine if I want silly numbers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keyser said:

 

Was speaking to a guy with a turbo'd MX5 at Castle Combe last week he uses the standard turbo from a Subaru recons you can get them cheap and 240 - 280 HP is achievable.

Not sure how much power I want probably stupid amounts :lol: I have the 1.8 which apparently is not the best for FI so may have to look at an engine swap or a built engine if I want silly numbers.

Silly numbers wont make for a good track toy ;) reign it in and be conservative.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

hang on, ive just realised who i said that to :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Silly numbers wont make for a good track toy ;) reign it in and be conservative.....

 

Yer that's gonna happen ................... NOT :lol:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

hang on, ive just realised who i said that to :lol:

 

 

Yup this is me - besides you don't have to use all the power if it's all setup right, its how the power is delivered that matters so I can have big numbers and still make it drivable.

All I have done so far is read about options, FI what engines go in etc. Probably going to doi a track day in it as is just to see what needs improving before I do more than fit a roll bar.

 

That's the current plan but it might change.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not make this a drift car as you mentioned that already. One of the more common starter cars 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Why not make this a drift car as you mentioned that already. One of the more common starter cars 

The thought had crossed my mind, back to the original problem of no where near to practice, not that I have ruled it out completely though :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 1uz engine sounds awesome. Pick up an old LS400 for under a grand and pinch the motor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LRF4N said:

That 1uz engine sounds awesome. Pick up an old LS400 for under a grand and pinch the motor

Not sure it would fit but I love the idea.

:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can defo get a V8 in there, I have a V8 itch to scratch but the LS400 is not that powerful  the 430 3uz engine is around 300HP which makes it worthwhile IMO of course the big thing with a V8 is the Torque.

You can get 200 + out of the standard engine but not those torque figures.

Then you have the rear axel to think about, depending on who you listen to they are not great above 250HP others say more.

The good old LS conversion in the USA seems to use Ford diffs. Not so easy to find here.

Then you need to change the LS400/430 from auto to manual, adapters are available but add £3000 for the plate clutch and gearbox.

Nothing that can't be done just have to look at how much it costs for what you will get I'm doing man maths on it at the moment so it becomes justifiable :lol:

 

Still reading up on what you can do to these, seems to be a good base car if the front arms have not rusted out - will look at that when I get her on the ramps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keyser said:

You can defo get a V8 in there, I have a V8 itch to scratch but the LS400 is not that powerful  the 430 3uz engine is around 300HP which makes it worthwhile IMO of course the big thing with a V8 is the Torque.

You can get 200 + out of the standard engine but not those torque figures.

Then you have the rear axel to think about, depending on who you listen to they are not great above 250HP others say more.

The good old LS conversion in the USA seems to use Ford diffs. Not so easy to find here.

Then you need to change the LS400/430 from auto to manual, adapters are available but add £3000 for the plate clutch and gearbox.

Nothing that can't be done just have to look at how much it costs for what you will get I'm doing man maths on it at the moment so it becomes justifiable :lol:

 

Still reading up on what you can do to these, seems to be a good base car if the front arms have not rusted out - will look at that when I get her on the ramps.

does your one have the socket for the hairdryer ? 

maybe you will need this sign

 

images.jpg.0c91d7cc9079b041b929c3c3959399d8.jpg:lol:

:)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharge it..... LIke my old MK2.5 :) It was absolutely brilliant fun!!! 

 

Should be able to find some pictures of it if you wish ;)

 

Time for that update wink_new.gif

 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that a few of you know me rather well - @Beb @LRF4N :lol:

 

Also in response to @andybp :boxing:

The problem is not only the " socket for the hairdryer" but also the extra weight of all the other stuff I will be carrying, scissors, clippers, combs, hair slides, straighteners and hair gel!!! :lol:

 

I would need some serious power upgrades, so I did a bit of research and even after the man maths there was no way on earth the long suffering Mrs Keyser was going to let me go any further with my ideas :(

Not to be out done I simply applied man logics to the problem and success :thumbs:

 

This is has now been now sitting on the drive since Thursday -

 

IMG_1668.JPG.ae4b6f85bf534e3cccd34cf0c83d3d92.JPG

 

Mrs Keyser is once again happy for me to continue my antics :thumbs::lol:  (this is expensive already :lol: )

 

But looks whats sitting in my garage now -

 

Spoiler

 

 

IMG_1666.JPG.d3915f781a622ae5b7f0dc376ab52ed0.JPG

 

 

IMG_1664.JPG.a52e017b7be00f9649038455dcd89ec8.JPG

 

 

Here we have 400 bhp (300 kW) at 6000 rpm and 400 lb⋅ft (542 N⋅m) at 4400 rpm.

 

I also acquired a T56 6 speed box

 

IMG_1663.JPG.126c94ae480ba64c3a236d6b24e34521.JPG

 

 

So @andybp you may now refer to it as the Hairdresser Express :lol:

 

 

Had to do another spoiler so I didn't spoil the first spoiler :lol:

 

Spoiler

This is where things go a little bit off track!

 

Having acquired the engine and box I started having second thoughts about this project,

 

I mean if I build it (and I can!) I will have a 450HP 370z and a 400HP MX5 - which one would you drive???

I also want to go out on track with both my daughters as they have an interest in a bit of track fun - best not to learn in a monster V8 me thinks, also I would have to insure 2 cars and I only managed 2,500 miles in the 370 last year. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

 

A call to the voice of reason was required - but I didn't have his number so I called @buster instead, after a little debate we decided a better option would be -

 

Coil overs and a roll bar in the MX5 the insurance is minimal for me if I leave it stock, That will be more than enough to have some fun on track with some novice drivers.

Leaving me to sell the Supercharger, engine and gearbox out of my 370z and drop the V8 in there :thumbs:

 

Any thoughts or shall I just get the build thread started??!! :lol:

 

 

 

 

Maximum Effort

Keyser

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

350z-uk.com

370z-uk.com

×
×
  • Create New...