Hayfever!

Do any sufferers know of anything that actually works? I'm desperate, for years i've tried all sorts to no avail & visits to the doctors just see me getting palmed off with a prescription of Fexofenadine which once worked briefly.

Recently, just before my holiday i picked up some 'Prevalin allergy plus' which is supposed to block the pollen even entering the body & i thought this worked wonders while in greece, not even a sniffle!

But i thought wrong, straight back to the UK & straight back to not being able to breath, streaming eyes & sniffing like i'm trying to win a cocaine marathon, it really is debilitating!

Anyone had any success?

I've heard eating that which causes your suffering helps. Oil Seed Rape sets me off, and if i cook with rape oil it lessens it. I've heard success stories with steroid injections too, albeit about 10 years ago.

I have suffered with hayfever for years (decades).... in South Africa I used to get 2 injections a year and they worked brilliantly! The UK is the only country that refuses to do the injections, the doctors say its because of what it is and the long term side effects (technically this is only with prelonged and excessive use), I say its because they would lose their prescription fee for 4-5 sets of drugs per month with me. I also now have almost no sense of smell thanks to all the nasal sprays that I have been told to try.

What works for me is Benadryl PLUS and Boots decongestion tablets, plus I use an air purifier for the room that I sleep in - aircon would do the same thing. The last item has worked wonders for me....

I used pills for ages and they did nowt, then I found out they all have one of two (possibly more?) active ingredients, loratadine or cetrizine. Turns out cetrizine based products don't do anything for me, so I switched to loratadine based pills and they worked really well. Might be worth checking what you've been taking and trying the other.

Also worth trying the stuff you jam up your nose.

I've suffered with it for years but find the Beconase nasal spray works but it can take a fortnight of use to work well. I preempt it by starting early June and don't have any problems unless I run out

The injections sound like a great idea.

I suffer quite bad, I get prescribed NEOCLARATIN tablets, take one every morning, but it takes about a week for them to start working, or I take a strong antihistermine tablet everyday like benerdryl I think, they seem to work within the hour...

hayfever is a curse and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy lol

I have suffered for years with hay fever. Used to take Trilidan which was great, but then they found the combination of that drug and beta blockers was knocking off old folks so it got removed.

Now I rely on claratine antihistamine tablets and beconase nasal spray.

Good luck, never a good thing to suffer from

Haven't tried the honey, always thought it was a bit of a wives tale! But will give anything a go!

As far as the pills, i think I've tried most of the ones available. Cetirizine, Loratadine, fexofenadine etc (Madness how the branded versions of exactly the same tablets are more than triple the price!)

Have booked a Dr's appointment today and will plead for the steroid injections or even look at the sublingual immunotherapy though i'm not sure that's offered on the NHS and is no where near a quick fix

I have suffered for years with hay fever. Used to take Trilidan which was great, but then they found the combination of that drug and beta blockers was knocking off old folks so it got removed.

Now I rely on claratine antihistamine tablets and beconase nasal spray.

Good luck, never a good thing to suffer from

Yeah, my mum was using Trilidan when it was around and said it worked wonders :)

Edited by TomBorehamUK

I used pills for ages and they did nowt, then I found out they all have one of two (possibly more?) active ingredients, loratadine or cetrizine. Turns out cetrizine based products don't do anything for me, so I switched to loratadine based pills and they worked really well. Might be worth checking what you've been taking and trying the other.

Also worth trying the stuff you jam up your nose.

Yup loratadine tablets are brilliant the key is to start them a month or two before the summer time works a treat. If i miss taking one in the morning i go back to the sneezing,runny nose and extreme eye watering can't live without them now

Also i tried this a few years ago and actually worked for my eyes just for a few hrs of less pain won't help in the long run this. But make some tea and with two tea bags place them on your eyes haha wait about 5 mins then all the gunge gets pulled out and the itchy goes away made it easier to get to sleep. It's mad but worked.

I feel your pain! :(

I get it pretty bad and take hayfever tablets pretty much every day when it's sunny lol.

What has a made a massive difference though is local honey! Have a spoonful of this every morning now and it definitely helps, try it! :)

I suffer too but find that what works best for me is Piriton, this is chlorpheniramine maleate.

It's available over the counter and never fails for me.

Piriteze is ok but not as good imho.

Edited by Flashback

Haven't tried the honey, always thought it was a bit of a wives tale! But will give anything a go!

Definitely not an old wives tale. Honey has loads of benefits but when it's refined it loses some of them. Pure honey is amazing. It's antiseptic and can be used on wounds and infections. Some countries used to use it to disinfect medical equipment

For hay fever it also works as it desensitises you from the pollen

Have it in a glass of water every morning. I also use honey instead of sugar where I can

Google it lol

Oh i do, I love honey. Every morning i have porridge with honey & every evening i have greek yoghurt with fruit & honey, doesn't help me so far though. Then again it isn't the fresh local stuff, it's store bought.

I'll have to give it a go before i judge but as my allergies are Grass & tree pollen i'm sceptical it will work for me :(

+1 for honey. Local honey is supposed to be even better as that will have been made from the flowers / plants that set of your hayfever in your area. I've been doing this for the last few years and my hayfever seems to be a lot better. I still do also take tablets though!

I grew up in a village but as a child I was allergic to pet hair and pollen! After a misspent youth indulging in smoking illegal substances it all went away. Even after all these years of clean living it's not returned. I may have just grown out of it but exposure to smoking back then may have helped who knows.Good luck in your quest for a cure and I'm not condoning smoking just throwing it out there that exposure to pollen in a diluted form may help your body find a resistance.