Elephant in the room.

The G Man

No matter your politics, no matter your creed, no matter what you think is wrong with society;

We will never, ever be defeated by acts of cowardly, criminal acts. We will prevail, we will stand up to any attack on our soil against our democracy.

We will never, ever be intimidated by a low life criminal who, misguidedly, thought that he would make a difference, he will not turn me against my Muslim, Christian or Jewish democratic friends, he will not make me hate anyone, he will not encourage me to take revenge.

I will still endeavour to make this country great, I will endeavour to make it the haven of peace that it is, I will endeavour to defend the very cornerstone of the mother of all democracies.

ISIS, you can go to hell, petty criminals, that you prey on, will never, ever defeat me, or my fellow citizens, to create chaos or discord.

As in the past, I will fight with the last breath in my body to keep us great, I will fight for the democratic right of self determination, I will fight for every one off you to be the free people that you are.

God bless you all.

• Like 1

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread, but also quite glad in one way. Incidents like this usually bring out the worst of the forum - "Why haven't all Muslims condemned this act..." etc. etc...

It's terrible and shocking that people died, but in the grand scheme of global events it is pretty trivial. It shows how relatively lucky we are in this country when you consider how many people are killed daily in other parts of the world.

• Like 2

I agree with Paddy, I too was surprised at the lack of a thread but also relieved by it too. Thats what i meant

Its awful whats happened but maybe im desensitised to it, but oh well? All its doing is yet another smokescreen while the real issue is unresolved. The only bit I agree with is not hating your fellow man, because the actions of the minority do not represent the majority

Edited by Olly350z

Feels quite significant to me - I used to walk over that bridge to work every day. I think it's natural that when something happens at home we tend to feel its signifcance more than events elsewhere in the world. We're not computers and the way we react to events is influenced by more than just numbers of people killed. I also think we naturually tend to relate more to events that happen in places that appear to have a similar culture to our own e.g. New York 9/11. I'm not saying that's how it should be, but I do think it's a natural reaction.

Edited by sipar69

My feelings have always been that we're all people/humans, regardless of location/creed etc. I've always seen it that all wars are civil wars, just people killing people. I'm with Dan when it comes to religion and politics.

Its amazing what the insulation of things like this can have on people - I was sat working at my desk about 500m from it when it happened, we were looking on the news websites and watching it live but I never really felt threatened. Then I left the office early and wandered out onto Victoria Embankment to see the road shut off and police everywhere and up the road could see the bridge closed off and then it really hits you.

As to the point above, people are being murdered each day in the UK but we do not panic, but when the news channels go mental over it in a battle to be seen the channel with the best coverage it only works to get the point these people are trying to make across. It was ridiculous with reporters ringing MPs inside the building and asking them where they were being moved to, what police were with them, what weapons they were carrying - and the MPs were almost at pains to say what stupid questions to ask of them live on TV whilst it was still ongoing but the reporters didn't relent.

I think the key issue here is there is absolutely no justification for anyone to take other innocent peoples life/lives based on ideology, creed , sex , age or orientation. That is what I would have expected people to decry/denounce first and foremost.

Politics are fine, I've had some great debates with friends where we're on totally different sides because at least that can be argued in fact.

Religion though... nope, all sky fairies and nonsense.

In person, it's one thing - on a forum it's entirely another.

Neither have any constructive effects for any of us here, and both are utter bullcrud.

Politics are fine, I've had some great debates with friends where we're on totally different sides because at least that can be argued in fact.

Religion though... nope, all sky fairies and nonsense.

In person, it's one thing - on a forum it's entirely another.

Neither have any constructive effects for any of us here, and both are utter bullcrud.

Yeah we all feel a bit braver sat behind our monitors, but in the pub over a beer or a coffee is fine (politics at least). I find myself unable to have religious debates with people as changing someones belief is the 3rd hardest thing to do ever, (first out of interest is kissing someone leaning away from you, 2nd is climb a wall leaning towards you)

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here, while I feel for the families of the victims its not a big deal for me.

A nutter with a knife trying to attack the best defended area of the UK is not a "terror threat" or a "islamic fundamentalist", hes juts a nutter with a knife at the end of the day. There no suggestion eh was anything to do with ISIS, hell theres no suggestion he was even doing it for religious reasons so far.

If he was looking to make a statement we would have heard it by now, if he was looking to kill numbers pretty much anywhere would have given him a better opportunity.

I dont want your prayers, I dont want to hear how we should all stand together, lets not even give the dickhead another word and just focus on how quickly and efficiently the guy was shut down. Even if MI5 had been tailing him in a car its unlikely they would have been able to prevent what happened.

There will always be crazy people who lose it and start attacking people, this isnt about about what their religion or skin colour is. And he was called Adrian, I mean, come on ....... :lol:

Edited by docwra
  • Like 2

There no suggestion eh was anything to do with ISIS, hell theres no suggestion he was even doing it for religious reasons so far.

So why were several other people arrested ?

It's NEVER just one person, others albeit might not be helping they KNOW and aren't reporting.

And IS did claim responsibility for it via Aamaq News Agency.

Edited by RobPhoboS

There no suggestion eh was anything to do with ISIS, hell theres no suggestion he was even doing it for religious reasons so far.

It's NEVER just one person, others albeit might not be helping they KNOW and aren't reporting.

If one of your friends or relatives does something like that, you'll be arrested, regardless of whether you were complicit. Being arrested doesn't mean you're guilty.

And IS did claim responsibility for it via Aamaq News Agency.

They'd claim responsibility for a cat stuck up a tree if they thought it'd get them a bit more publicity.

• Like 7

This sort of thing is allays going to happen, its just the current political/social/racial climate that needs to put labels to it.

There are always going to be nutters/murder's/fanatics in this world, if this had happened in the 50s-60s it would have been attributed to the criminal underworld or the Russians.